Player Watch #27: Miller Bergman - BFNAAK - Extends to end of 2025 - returns to the team against the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Miller, Josh and Jacko are all out of the 21 draft and could hold down the small/medium defender slots going forward. But none of the 3 lads seem to get an uninterrupted run at it. Hopefully that changes because I'm confident about Josh and Miller making it and Jacko has the right breeding and attitude to get there.

All give something different as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbie Flower at Melbourne is another champion one club player, who had to wait till his final season to play his first final. The players these days are not made of the same fibre.
I wonder if Robbie and Stan Alves have had that conversation....
Him and goater will be 2 very important flankers moving forward for us.
Tossing a sacrificial goat in a volcano, Tony Abbott-style, that Goater doesn't lose his power/agility first step, post-Achilles.

Miller, Josh and Jacko are all out of the 21 draft and could hold down the small/medium defender slots going forward. But none of the 3 lads seem to get an uninterrupted run at it. Hopefully that changes because I'm confident about Josh and Miller making it and Jacko has the right breeding and attitude to get there.

All give something different as well

That is a damning reflection of our strength conditioning department.

Yeh Kevin White has mentioned they're sometimes accountable for soft tissue injuries. Will be interesting how this is managed internally.

Blaming the team, player and coaches, i think our fingers have been pointing at the wrong people.

The medico team has been vastly below the professional standard.

Since doc left after 2015, our injuries have been very high and standard vfl like.

There’s the strength and conditioning team - and then there’s also just isolated incidents that are out of the performance teams control. Like hamstring and running injuries. For example, bergman’s and then goater and even ccj’s Achilles.
He is a bit of an awkward shape, Bergman. In the sense that he really needs to up his whole body strength and conditioning or else he is going to be stuck in that Luke McDonald awkward space. I believe Luke could have had the ability to be so much more. You might not have the upper body stature but you can always improve your leg strength, speed, power and endurance.

Credit to the team though, they’ve manage George exceptionally well this year and that was my biggest fear.

There’s the strength and conditioning team - and then there’s also just isolated incidents that are out of the performance teams control. Like hamstring and running injuries. For example, bergman’s and then goater and even ccj’s Achilles.
He is a bit of an awkward shape, Bergman. In the sense that he really needs to up his whole body strength and conditioning or else he is going to be stuck in that Luke McDonald awkward space. I believe Luke could have had the ability to be so much more. You might not have the upper body stature but you can always improve your leg strength, speed, power and endurance.

Credit to the team though, they’ve manage George exceptionally well this year and that was my biggest fear.
This is getting into Themanbun turf (He likes dragging me there and outmarking me) but I'd say hamstrings, Achilles, running injuries all fall within a triage zone where yes there's some random luck but the S&C (and the player) also have responsibility for managing loads, stress, conditions etc.

Not going to get specific because anyone can trot out conditioning 101 buzzwords but doing a hammy in game 1 strongly hints at something amiss with Miller's conditioning.

This is getting into Themanbun turf (He likes dragging me there and outmarking me) but I'd say hamstrings, Achilles, running injuries all fall within a triage zone where yes there's some random luck but the S&C (and the player) also have responsibility for managing loads, stress, conditions etc.

Not going to get specific because anyone can trot out conditioning 101 buzzwords but doing a hammy in game 1 strongly hints at something amiss with Miller's conditioning.

Yeah, it's hard to speculate from the outside.

Could be something as simple as him not reporting a symptom because he was pumped to be back in the firsts. Or it could be his conditioning isn't up to scratch and the extra bit of high speed running in the AFL brought out the problem that could be hidden in VFL.

Yeah, it's hard to speculate from the outside.

Could be something as simple as him not reporting a symptom because he was pumped to be back in the firsts. Or it could be his conditioning isn't up to scratch and the extra bit of high speed running in the AFL brought out the problem that could be hidden in VFL.
Kangatech aside, it'd be interesting knowing how thorough they were testing both sides of his leg etc in the lead up.

(Didn't want to say antagonistic pairing because only a w***er would say antagonistic pairing)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #27: Miller Bergman - BFNAAK - Extends to end of 2025 - returns to the team against the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back