Player Watch #27: Miller Bergman - BFNAAK - Extends to end of 2025 - returns to the team against the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Look at Zach Guthrie when he first started. Would have barely been 70 KGs wringing wet and was regularly rag dolled by opposition forwards. Surprisingly stands at 188 CMs and now listed at 84 KGs on the Footy Wire website. Was a slow burn in his first few seasons to now become a solid player in defense.

Surely our strength and conditioning staff have a game plan in place here with Miller to get that bulk and strength for 2025 and beyond. Call Guthrie for some tips if need be. Shadow Paulie Curtis in the weights room as he bench presses Cam Zuurhar in his warm ups.

Look at Zach Guthrie when he first started. Would have barely been 70 KGs wringing wet and was regularly rag dolled by opposition forwards. Surprisingly stands at 188 CMs and now listed at 84 KGs on the Footy Wire website. Was a slow burn in his first few seasons to now become a solid player in defense.

Surely our strength and conditioning staff have a game plan in place here with Miller to get that bulk and strength for 2025 and beyond. Call Guthrie for some tips if need be. Shadow Paulie Curtis in the weights room as he bench presses Cam Zuurhar in his warm ups.
Guthrie a great example. He never looked like he was going to be any good. Seriously good player now.

Still think there’s something to work with here. He seems to be one of those blokes who has composure with the ball in hand before he kicks. And so, although not overly quick, he can speed up the game with good decision making and attacking kicking off half back.

Whilst his disposal average in the seniors suggest he doesn’t get the ball enough to be an offensive back pocket/half back type (playing sub will not have helped those stats), he has been prolific in the twos on occasion.

If we don’t end up getting C Daniel, I wonder if he can develop into that type of player.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Still think there’s something to work with here. He seems to be one of those blokes who has composure with the ball in hand before he kicks. And so, although not overly quick, he can speed up the game with good decision making and attacking kicking off half back.

Whilst his disposal average in the seniors suggest he doesn’t get the ball enough to be an offensive back pocket/half back type (playing sub will not have helped those stats), he has been prolific in the twos on occasion.

If we don’t end up getting C Daniel, I wonder if he can develop into that type of player.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
What stands out to me is he simply has no idea how to get the ball. Accumulation is the sort of ability that isn't teachable. He doesn't run to receive handballs like a selfish chip scabbing back flanker should, and he's never seemed particularly urgent in his on-field actions. Add in the fact that he's part of the brigade who apparently hasn't been handed a swipe card to the gym facilities, and it isn't ideal. He really needs to make something of the coming year imo

What stands out to me is he simply has no idea how to get the ball. Accumulation is the sort of ability that isn't teachable. He doesn't run to receive handballs like a selfish chip scabbing back flanker should, and he's never seemed particularly urgent in his on-field actions. Add in the fact that he's part of the brigade who apparently hasn't been handed a swipe card to the gym facilities, and it isn't ideal. He really needs to make something of the coming year imo
Strong disagree, on the first part, anyway.

Some of his VFL games have shown that he definitely knows how to accumulate the ball. And one of the things that struck me in his early AFL games was his hard running to create an outlet.

I think his reading of the play and attacking instincts are a real strength. IMO he has struggled to find the balance between these and the need to defend solidly, perhaps over compensating this year.

I agree with your last sentence though.

Another defender that showed something and never showed more. Be goneski end of 2025. Too fragile, too skinny, problematic for us is we have too many skinny players. Bergman, Scott, Stephenson and we are going to bring in Stevo’s boy too who is just a bag of bones.

Most of them have been told this (there abouts) in their exit meetings

See what happens

Surely we would’ve told him to hit the gym a preseason or 2 ago.

Has he put much if any size on at all since being drafted? Has some skills but shown little to no ability to develop his body physically.

We draft skinny and they stay skinny yet being beyond lean rarely assists our endurance.

Surely we would’ve told him to hit the gym a preseason or 2 ago.

Has he put much if any size on at all since being drafted? Has some skills but shown little to no ability to develop his body physically.

We draft skinny and they stay skinny yet being beyond lean rarely assists our endurance.

Unfortunately we have some of the worst builds in the AFL. Been like that for years

There is no competitiveness in the gym amongst the boys to get big either when players are allowed to stay the same size since we've drafted them

If we see darling, Parker etc all in the gym it may lift the standards. All great trainers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately we have some of the worst builds in the AFL. Been like that for years

There is no competitiveness in the gym amongst the boys to get big either when players are allowed to stay the same size since we've drafted them

If we see darling, Parker etc all in the gym it may lift the standards. All great trainers.
Pauly curtis stole all the weights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #27: Miller Bergman - BFNAAK - Extends to end of 2025 - returns to the team against the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back