Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t care what anyone says. A player who can get 9 touches with 5 contested in a quarter of footy is worth persevering with. You can talk about metres gained and impact and anything you like … but getting the actual pill is more important than anything else, and he can do that so I hope he gets one more year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not when he can only do it for one quarter, and especially when that quarter is the 4th when the game is over and its a dead rubber.

He rarely gets the ball 9 times a quarter in a full VFL game.

Hes clearly been given opportunities this year to make a case for a contract. Imo wed get the same or better output from dozens of VFL listed mids. At the end of the day he lacks AFL level talent and attributes. Whoever we draft will walk into the side a better player.

I don’t care what anyone says. A player who can get 9 touches with 5 contested in a quarter of footy is worth persevering with. You can talk about metres gained and impact and anything you like … but getting the actual pill is more important than anything else, and he can do that so I hope he gets one more year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Has talent. Happy with his season. Had a couple of games where he rushed his kicks but he has plenty of improvement :devil:

Agreed. People are delusional thinking he’s any good. Should and will be moved on

Not so sure on the last part there.

If we lose Graham to WC
and one of (or both) Rioli or Bolton,

then by weight of numbers going out the door, he probably gets a one year contract

Not so sure on the last part there.

If we lose Graham to WC
and one of (or both) Rioli or Bolton,

then by weight of numbers going out the door, he probably gets a one year contract
yeah agree.

i have seen enough and want to move him on. but with all of our outgoings he has been kissed on the d*** by a fairy and will get another shot next year.

Dow can win the ball and has fast hands and he’s not to blame for deficiencies but watching him has made me realise even though the rules have changed, how players play positions has changed and types of players have changed.
It’s still a kicking and marking game.
Complete a pass under pressure taking contested marks its still the most reliable way to win.
Unfortunately he can’t kick well enough.

Dow can win the ball and has fast hands and he’s not to blame for deficiencies but watching him has made me realise even though the rules have changed, how players play positions has changed and types of players have changed.
It’s still a kicking and marking game.
Complete a pass under pressure taking contested marks its still the most reliable way to win.
Unfortunately he can’t kick well enough.
His biggest weakness is he can’t involve himself in transition play. His opponent eats him up in this area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's gone, was a bizarre selection at the time and has never really shown any genuine hope at AFL level.

The only thing that might save him is if we lose multiple senior players, they might want to keep a mid with a few preseasons and a bit of VFL/AFL experience to mitigate the kids given we're likely drafting in a lot of kids over the next 1-2 years. Even at VFL level we don't want to be totally outdone by more senior sides every week.

I think he's gone, was a bizarre selection at the time and has never really shown any genuine hope at AFL level.

The only thing that might save him is if we lose multiple senior players, they might want to keep a mid with a few preseasons and a bit of VFL/AFL experience to mitigate the kids given we're likely drafting in a lot of kids over the next 1-2 years. Even at VFL level we don't want to be totally outdone by more senior sides every week.
He obviously hasn’t been offered a contract yet so I think the club are waiting to see what senior players are leaving and retirements. I still can’t see any purpose keeping this guy on our list as he’s not afl standard.

If you want to see if he can improve his kicking then chuck him on the half back flank and force him to be a play maker with his kicking for a game or 2 …. If he improves then chuck him back in the midfield and watch him blossom with his new skills …. If he doesn’t improve then he’s in trouble in that area

If you want to see if he can improve his kicking then chuck him on the half back flank and force him to be a play maker with his kicking for a game or 2 …. If he improves then chuck him back in the midfield and watch him blossom with his new skills …. If he doesn’t improve then he’s in trouble in that area

Paddy his brother used to be a bad kick he worked on it and now kicks with lots of penetration
Eg look at his goal he kicked on the weekend he’s a great kick now.

Thompson can do the same just needs a pre season to work on it

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our best two performers all year Vlastuin and Rioli play half back.
And you want to remove them to accommodate Spudley McSpud from Spudsville.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back