Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

With the amount of seasoned players moving on he will be gifted a 1-2 year deal. I think there will be some very disappointed people around this place
like Ryan & RCD. he'll bulk up in his mid 20s. I think the club retain him as depth. If JG, Baker & Bolton all move on. That's 3 players out of the midfield rotation. Still Qn marks over Sonsie & Kmac2's ability.
Qn marks over Hopper & Prestia durability.

like Ryan & RCD. he'll bulk up in his mid 20s. I think the club retain him as depth. If JG, Baker & Bolton all move on. That's 3 players out of the midfield rotation. Still Qn marks over Sonsie & Kmac2's ability.
Qn marks over Hopper & Prestia durability.
It's not a question of bulking up. He can find the ball and is getting better and better at doing so. The issue is his kicking, which means his impact is limited. Take the VFL wildcard game on the weekend. He's listed as our best, with 8 kicks and 21 handballs. That's not going to really hurt the opposition, but flip it around to 21 (decent) kicks and 8 handballs, then it's a different story. I'm not sure if it's a skills issue or a decision making issue. Decision making can improve with experience and time...not so sure about skills. Like you say...maybe "depth"

It's not a question of bulking up. He can find the ball and is getting better and better at doing so. The issue is his kicking, which means his impact is limited. Take the VFL wildcard game on the weekend. He's listed as our best, with 8 kicks and 21 handballs. That's not going to really hurt the opposition, but flip it around to 21 (decent) kicks and 8 handballs, then it's a different story. I'm not sure if it's a skills issue or a decision making issue. Decision making can improve with experience and time...not so sure about skills. Like you say...maybe "depth"
confidence issue IMO

If he handballed like Weightman/Knights/Broderick/Lambert you'd take that ratio no problem, but he doesn't. Really thought he would come on handball wise this year on the back of late '23 form, but not the case. Doesn't have the time with the ball that all the great handballers have. He might get another year due to all the exits, senior backup/injuries and it could be worse, but he could also get the chop.

My mate does Airtasker and he saw an ad from a potential client Tommy D. In Richmond. The Ad reads:

Help Wanted: Must have own van and boxes. (Masking Tape supplied) Will be finishing up at work on 27/08/2024 @ 3pm and need help clearing out and removing possessions. Final destination Bendigo.
Time required approx 5 hours total.
Payment: $300 plus petrol costs covered.... or can pay in soiled Richmond Football Club guernsey no. 27 and Cosgrove Jenkins award 2021.... will throw in brand new weights set still in original boxes and 5 years worth of protein powder (never opened).

If he handballed like Weightman/Knights/Broderick/Lambert you'd take that ratio no problem, but he doesn't. Really thought he would come on handball wise this year on the back of late '23 form, but not the case. Doesn't have the time with the ball that all the great handballers have. He might get another year due to all the exits, senior backup/injuries and it could be worse, but he could also get the chop.
He'll be one of the really lucky ones who gets a lifeline due to weight of numbers going out the door.
Won't be so fortunate when we get a better run with injury next year.

Last edited:
He'll be one of the really lucky ones who gets a lifeline due to weight of numbers going out the door.
Won't be so fortunate when we gt a better run with injury next year.
Got an undeserved life line when RCD got the arse instead because ha had no contract.

Dow should've been out the door with RCD.

Bloke is the cockroach on the list just cant get rid of him.

He aint playing ahead of the new gun mids or McAuliffe, Clarke, Campbell, Smith and Brown next year so why persist then there is Ross and Prestia still.

Plodder move him on there is no need for him in 2025.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish Matty Clarke was like SOS. Taking all his Dud GWS players to Blues. Then all his duds from Blues to Saints to try prove he's a better recruiter than he is. Would love to see Harley Reid partner up with Dow, Graham and RCD next year. He'd be on his phone to his manager wanting to return to VIC just in time to split our warchest with Tom Green.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back