Delisted 28. David Cuningham

Remove this Banner Ad

Even as good as his game was, I still like Arr0w idea of Cuningham as a run-with player.

He'd likely find himself around the ball more often, as he's actually a 'subtle' harasser.
By that I mean, with his hands in close and movement moreso than any overt bullying.

He'd have opponents turn the ball over for the pressure and implied pressure he'd create and once he has ball in hand....he's gone.

DC's issue until this weekend has been finding the ball often enough to be a midfielder. Maybe he's discovered the secret, maybe it's a one-off. We'll find out soon enough.

In case he struggles again, I like Harker's idea. Let an opposition ball-magnet take him to the right places and eventually he'll get the knack.

DC's issue until this weekend has been finding the ball often enough to be a midfielder. Maybe he's discovered the secret, maybe it's a one-off. We'll find out soon enough.

In case he struggles again, I like Harker's idea. Let an opposition ball-magnet take him to the right places and eventually he'll get the knack.

It's not my idea. It was Arrows. I remember that as it came as a light-bulb moment.

Cuningham is dangerous around the ball, but isn't a bona fide midfielder. Run with the likes of Sidebottom and the possessions will come.

Even as good as his game was, I still like Arr0w idea of Cuningham as a run-with player.

He'd likely find himself around the ball more often, as he's actually a 'subtle' harasser.
By that I mean, with his hands in close and movement moreso than any overt bullying.

He'd have opponents turn the ball over for the pressure and implied pressure he'd create and once he has ball in hand....he's gone.
I think that would be a real waste. He showed on the weekend he knows where to run and how to find space and his burst speed and ball use is a real offensive weapon.

I think that would be a real waste. He showed on the weekend he knows where to run and how to find space and his burst speed and ball use is a real offensive weapon.
Best part of his game was his handballing in tight spaces with clean hands. We have seen him on the run before generally using it better than he did on Saturday.

Also got into space to link up a lot more than he normally does.

That may be the new norm, but I find that highly unlikely.
Some people just know how to find the ball and find it regularly.....Cuningham not so much.
If he is led to the ball, he'll find it. If he has to find it on his own, I feel he may get a little lost.

Whichever way though, if Cuningham can average even 20 possessions a game....we'll be in a good place :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s a instinctive player his an attacking footballer sure he’ll need to be accountable but I’m not sure using him as a tagger is the best thing for his talents...

I think he did run with McGrath for periods of the game, clever matchup by Teague

Hoping this continues throughout the year

I think he did run with McGrath for periods of the game, clever matchup by Teague

Hoping this continues throughout the year

Yes. I like that idea and not because I want to like it, but for the good sense it makes.

Some players can be 'graded up' and some sort of can't. Cuningham can....I think :)

hey guys,

Can any of you explain what was the reason for his BOG game over the weekend comapred to his previous 3 games this year? what was the change? and do you expect it to continue?

1593404119385.png

hey guys,

Can any of you explain what was the reason for his BOG game over the weekend comapred to his previous 3 games this year? what was the change? and do you expect it to continue?

View attachment 902556

Previous weeks, he was mostly left in the forward line.
Against Essendon, you would have seen him all around the ground, including stoppages.

Just had more of a free reign. Not sure whether there was one particular job the coach wanted from him though.

Firstly, got me stumped. Secondly, I live in hope, but don't expect.

What would be really nice is if someone else popped up out of nowhere for a breakthrough game.

Firstly, got me stumped. Secondly, I live in hope, but don't expect.

What would be really nice is if someone else popped up out of nowhere for a breakthrough game.
He did mention that Silvagnis' injury meant that he played a lot more midfield than was originally intended. Might have been a lucky accident?

I love this guy...
He doesn't slow down when he attacks the footy. see ball, get ball, use ball all on instincts.
Super happy he managed to put it all together for a full game.
We have been calling him the shark for a while now, I'm hoping this nickname catches on ;)

From Knightmares Mock Draft write up -

David Cuningham (VIC –MID)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 30/03/1997
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Reminds me of: Jonathan O’Rourke
Brief bio: Cuningham is a mild production midfielder with some AFL relevant attributes. Cuningham has excellent sidestepping ability in traffic allow himself to create space. He also while he only sometimes uses it in games, has excellent acceleration and can really provide a meaningful burst of speed with ball in hand and can break away from stoppages. By foot his disposal efficiency is below average but he has some hurt factor to him showing good vision and ability to hit some meaningful targets. He also has some chasedown tackling ability. Cuningham is neither a contested ball winning beast nor someone who finds a lot of the ball on the outside. He can at times provide some scoreboard impact.

Fox Sports - The Smoky: David Cunningham

Cunningham is lightning quick and not afraid to use his pace. The Oakleigh Chargers midfielder ran 2.91 seconds for the 20m sprint at the draft combine and finished in the top five of the repeat sprints test. He’s slipped under the radar a bit this year, but don’t be surprised if a club calls out his name with a late first round selection.

David Cuningham (30/3/1997. 183cm, 79kg. Oakleigh Chargers)

Medium midfielder

AFL biography: Extremely quick medium midfielder who represented Vic Metro in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships this year and also plays for Melbourne Grammar. Has a great step through traffic and reads the ball well off hands. Has been impressive for the Chargers in six matches this year, averaging 20 possessions and five clearances.

"David's a pretty quiet kid but he's driven and he has some really elite AFL attributes. The way he can move through a stoppage is first class, he uses the ball really well and he can run through 50 and kick a goal. He's a midfielder who likes to play inside, and one of the things he needs to learn is how to play in different spots. He likes to be the go-to all the time at the moment, but he's a good player. He glides across the ground and looks like he's in slow-motion at times. I don't think he knows how quick he is, but he has elite speed. He's got a fair bit going for him."

Craig Notman, Oakleigh Chargers talent manager

These were fairly astute phantom draft assessments.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted 28. David Cuningham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back