Delisted #28: Elliott Kavanagh - Gone to play SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Manager has stated that a club would need to "entice EFC with a good offer"

Methinks no clubs will do so.. and hence EKav will still be at the club next year.

Manager has stated that a club would need to "entice EFC with a good offer"

Methinks no clubs will do so.. and hence EKav will still be at the club next year.

This. Honestly he is worth a pick around the 40 mark. Due to him being contracted, I can't see a team trading a 2nd or so rounder for him from what he has shown so far.

Kav needs to get real with himself. Have a Browne like pre-season (with out the knee injury) and back himself in to break into the side in 2015.

I've been a supporter of EKav.. but he hasn't really broken through yet.

However I would note the commentary coming out "... he (Kavanagh) hasn't been happy with the amount of opportunities he has been given under Mark Thompson this year and will explore his options"

Is it just chance that these 'explorations' started AFTER Hird was sacked/not sacked?? Wasn't Hird a large reason why EKav came to the club?

Could this be another situation where IF the Board secures Hird's position.. these 'explorations' result in nothing...?

Just seems very funny that the board makes their move on Hird.. and suddenly there is a 'maybe' exodus happening.. only one (required) player has confirmed they definitely want to go.. but there are suddenly 8 names being 'floated' around..

Last weeks stunt could cost us a quarter of the list.. unbelievable really.

Jesus Christ...

This. Honestly he is worth a pick around the 40 mark. Due to him being contracted, I can't see a team trading a 2nd or so rounder for him from what he has shown so far.

Kav needs to get real with himself. Have a Browne like pre-season (with out the knee injury) and back himself in to break into the side in 2015.
I think the club would snap if we got offered a second rounder for him. A VFL player right now, who wasn't even in our best 10 VFL players this year... second round would be a steal.

I understand he could do really well at a new club.. but ultimately we could do with another Z Merrett on the list.

Doubt the club would bother for a 3rd or 4th rounder.. which is what he is worth.

In before Bunk Moreland likes your post...

Seriously.

Or maybe Kav's just a guy who has been toiling away in the VFL and has only been played in seven games over three years and only on occasion have we even given him consecutive games.

Your desire to blame everything this past week on Thompson and the board is ridiculous.

Or maybe Kav's just a guy who has been toiling away in the VFL and has only been played in seven games over three years and only on occasion have we even given him consecutive games.

Your desire to blame everything this past week on Thompson and the board is ridiculous.

is it surprising that EKav is looking for opportunities elsewhere? Nup, not in the slightest.. same with Hardingham really.. they are fringe players at best who can't crack the Senior team and such is our depth.. they are probably 2-3 guys down the pecking order for 'next in' as well...

What I do find strange is that his manager SPECIFICALLY mentioned Thompson in an interview.. not a generic "Elliot hasn't been given many opportunities in the past season/s" but he specifically stated "Elliot hasn't been given many opportunities UNDER MARK THOMPSON"

Again.. I was just putting it out there as an 'interesting' thing.. I am not blaming Thompson.. I'm just saying the timing and the specific use of Thompsons name in the quote.. was interesting.

It would also be interesting if he had said Hirds name too.. like if he said "Elliot hasn't been given many opportunities under Hird in the past seasons".. that would be interesting... but he didn't say that.

Fine that you think it is a non-issue.. and it most likely is a non-issue.. but I found it curious.. and I have that right.

What I do find strange is that his manager SPECIFICALLY mentioned Thompson in an interview.. not a generic "Elliot hasn't been given many opportunities in the past season/s" but he specifically stated "Elliot hasn't been given many opportunities UNDER MARK THOMPSON"

Elliot got 3 games this year under Thompson, he got 3 last year under Hird. You even acknowledged he wasn't in the Top 10 VFL players.

You find it interesting because you're seeing things you want to see. Just like always you're manipulating simple statements to further your pro-Hird agenda. The whole board gets it rines, you love Hird and you can't stand Thompson.

But seriously, stop derailing threads and trying to twist it about how "keeping Hirdy will fix it" and how everything is Thompson's fault. You do it in the ASADA thread which is fine because that's where it belongs, but you also do it in the Trade thread, the Ryder thread, the Winderlich thread and now this thread. It's getting pretty tiresome.

I thought it was a pretty interesting quote as well fwiw.

Lack of opportunity under Thompson should be irrelevant given Hird is our contracted coach, but it sounds like Elliott is concerned about how he's rated by Thompson. I don't think it's any maliciousness on Bomber's part or anything, different coaches will rate different fringe players differently, but it's interesting that Bomber's opinion is considered relevant in Elliott's decision.

I thought it was a pretty interesting quote as well fwiw.

Lack of opportunity under Thompson should be irrelevant given Hird is our contracted coach, but it sounds like Elliott is concerned about how he's rated by Thompson. I don't think it's any maliciousness on Bomber's part or anything, different coaches will rate different fringe players differently, but it's interesting that Bomber's opinion is considered relevant in Elliott's decision.
Precisely my point.

I think it showed that at least some of the playing group believe Thompson will be the coach next year.

Exactly why I found it interesting.. not a disaster, not a mountain.. but a tiny crinkle.. to suggest that perhaps Kav is worried about the coaching situation next year in terms of HIS opportunities.

Perhaps Hird had 'earmarked' him for a role.. but Thompson didn't believe he could play it.. this wouldn't mean EITHER man is wrong/right/better/worse.. but it will make a very different situation for a player looking to stay. If Hird tells you "you are going to play wing in the Seniors this year" and Thompson says "You need to work on your tank, I want to play you as a tagging midfielder"... NEITHER man is wrong.. BUT it does make it interesting for EKav to decide where he wants to play next year.. and thus more, or less, likely to request a trade.

I just found it curious.. wasn't derailing a thread ffs.. this was a DIRECT quote from his manager.. how the **** is that derailing a thread??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could it just be that Mark Thompson is the most recent coach he hasn't been given many opportunities under? Not much point in mentioning the same lack of opportunities he got the year before under Hird because, well, that was the year before.
But why would it be relevant if Hird is the coach next year??

Again.. might not be relevant.. it has now turned into a 'big deal'.. it was just a minor musing. But Ogg Cat has his agenda.. and here we are.

I think you could have just said "lack of opportunities" there is NO logical reason to mention a specific coach.. none, except if it was an unintentional slip OR because the choice of coach is relevant.

Could it just be that Mark Thompson is the most recent coach he hasn't been given many opportunities under? Not much point in mentioning the same lack of opportunities he got the year before under Hird because, well, that was the year before.

Wouldn't it make sense to talk about the coach for the upcoming season, given he's the one who will be giving, or otherwise, opportunities?

But why would it be relevant if Hird is the coach next year??

Wouldn't it make sense to talk about the coach for the upcoming season, given he's the one who will be giving, or otherwise, opportunities?

Not if you're talking about the lack of opportunities this year as the reason why you're looking elsewhere, especially if the coach next year gave the same opportunities or lack thereof the year before. He's not going to say he won't be given many opportunities next year but he obviously anticipates this as being so or he wouldn't be talking about leaving.. unless it's all just bullshit to see if any other club has interest.

Does anyone know if his manager scratched his nose when he said this?

Not if you're talking about the lack of opportunities this year as the reason why you're looking elsewhere, especially if the coach next year gave the same opportunities or lack thereof the year before. He's not going to say he won't be given many opportunities next year but he obviously anticipates this as being so or he wouldn't be talking about leaving.. unless it's all just bullshit to see if any other club has interest.

Does anyone know if his manager scratched his nose when he said this?

I dunno, I wouldn't have thought Jarryd Lyons would be citing lack of opportunities under Sanderson as a reason to leave, for example.

Precisely my point.

I think it showed that at least some of the playing group believe Thompson will be the coach next year.

Exactly why I found it interesting.. not a disaster, not a mountain.. but a tiny crinkle.. to suggest that perhaps Kav is worried about the coaching situation next year in terms of HIS opportunities.

Perhaps Hird had 'earmarked' him for a role.. but Thompson didn't believe he could play it.. this wouldn't mean EITHER man is wrong/right/better/worse.. but it will make a very different situation for a player looking to stay. If Hird tells you "you are going to play wing in the Seniors this year" and Thompson says "You need to work on your tank, I want to play you as a tagging midfielder"... NEITHER man is wrong.. BUT it does make it interesting for EKav to decide where he wants to play next year.. and thus more, or less, likely to request a trade.

I just found it curious.. wasn't derailing a thread ffs.. this was a DIRECT quote from his manager.. how the **** is that derailing a thread??

Cool - Coaching Roundabout

I just think you guys are seeing what you want to see.

It's not an attempt to blame Bomber for anything, I couldn't really care less what happens with Kav. I haven't seen anything worth fapping over with him, and neither have two coaches by the looks of things. I just thought it was an interesting name to drop, and probably suggestive of where the players think the club's coaching future lies.

I wouldn't try and lump this in with Howlett, Winderlich and Fletcher, it's an entirely different situation.

It's not an attempt to blame Bomber for anything, I couldn't really care less what happens with Kav. I haven't seen anything worth fapping over with him, and neither have two coaches by the looks of things. I just thought it was an interesting name to drop, and probably suggestive of where the players think the club's coaching future lies.

I wouldn't try and lump this in with Howlett, Winderlich and Fletcher, it's an entirely different situation.
This x 100.

However way you look at it.. and as I said in the OP on the topic.. it was an interesting TIME and interesting THING to say what was said. Nothing more and nothing less.

He is a contracted player.. so either we get 'enticed' or we don't.. I'm not fussed either way.

The way it should be i would have thought.. That said, i don't think the club knows who the coach is going to be let alone the players
I agree.

Although the 'timing' starts to fit..
Players get wind that Hird is sacked last Wednesday.. around the same time that it hits the papers. Players are told by senior group (Watson etc) that Thompson is 'in' and the next coach.. Caro writes that an 'exit strategy for Hird' has been enacted.. she calls it sacking.. but what evidence do we have that this 'exit strategy plan' isn't still in effect? That limp wristed statement that confirmed his job was 'safe for the immediate term but to be reviewed at a time of our choosing'...

So we have Winders flapping in the wind.. we have Howlett waiting for confirmation of coach.. we have EKav's manager talking about his lack of opportunities 'under Thompson'... surely we can put 1+1 together here??

So I have no doubt that the players have no clue, or confidence, in who the coach will be next year and it is playing HAVOC with the group.

It seems that quite a few players are convinced Thompson is going to be coach next year.. despite the 'statement'....

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #28: Elliott Kavanagh - Gone to play SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back