Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Trade Requested For Right Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Why bother signing long term contracts anymore
I agree it means absolutely nothing, but it can work both ways if clubs are heavily compensated. I think there should be a greater compensation if a contract is not met to stop this racket that is now happening. It makes it so hard for clubs to plan ahead with their investments looking to move elsewhere.

Last edited:
I agree it means absolutely nothing, but it can work both ways if clubs are heavily compensated. I think there should be a greater compensation if a contract is not met to stop this racket that is now happening. It makes it so hard for clubs to plan ahead with their investments looking to move elsewhere.
Yes. Definitely makes it harder for clubs to plan long term if a player decides to leave early on. It's going to be difficult for freo or WC to strike a deal with us.

Afl players are precious, many athletes live away from home during their active years.

I reckon he be freos best player in a couple years and will make 2 firsts look like unders.
Has 4y of peak footy in front of him , this is freos window so that’s gold. They’re doing well to a player this good , he can make a difference that’s for sure

Ryan Daniels saying the main motivation for Bolton wanting to go to WA is the support network for a young network, that he is contracted 4 years and will have to pay and that Richmond could do what Brisbane did with Neale and provide a greater support network for bolton and his family and keep them in Melbourne

Ryan Daniels saying the main motivation for Bolton wanting to go to WA is the support network for a young network, that he is contracted 4 years and will have to pay and that Richmond could do what Brisbane did with Neale and provide a greater support network for bolton and his family and keep them in Melbourne
A greater support isn't just family he might get 1 mil more over the same period we can offer and family and lifestyle can only persuade him even more. There is a reason Victorians over the years flock to Queensland only to run back home.

A greater support isn't just family he might get 1 mil more over the same period we can offer and family and lifestyle can only persuade him even more. There is a reason Victorians over the years flock to Queensland only to run back home.
I’d doubt that very much given the depth on their list relative to ours , it won’t be a monetary decision

I reckon he be freos best player in a couple years and will make 2 firsts look like unders.
perhaps..
but willing to take that chance and still moving him on.
Far from the first player to drop his bundle when he see's brighter sky's somewhere else.
Personally think Shai is overrated on this board, but that's just me.
No hate or disrespect.. just want the deal done and Shai gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 mil is a lot of daycare. But wanting grsndparents around young kids i can understand and given it is his family i would be understanding. But 3 first rounders thanks

the ' just keep him' I can cop with Rioli.
but Bolton and Baker .. no
got to move them (not get fleeced ) but need to move them out.

you think keeping him is a good decision after his attude and limp wristed fight this season.
if he wants out = we want him out.
Not if none of the picks are top 10. I’m sure Freo have the assets to get the picks moved up but I’m not trading him for picks outside 10.

also i think everyone needs to realise, we have Chris Toce as our recruiter now. He has been St Kilda's recruiter the last 10 years.. and we all know how good their list has been ... :sick:
Mathew Clarke who was our recruiter making good picks like shai bolton at 29 was poached by west coast at the start of the year. WERE COOKED

also i think everyone needs to realise, we have Chris Toce as our recruiter now. He has been St Kilda's recruiter the last 10 years.. and we all know how good their list has been ... :sick:
Mathew Clarke who was our recruiter making good picks like shai bolton at 29 was poached by west coast at the start of the year. WERE COOKED
Yea but you were likely one of those fools that carped about FJ , and don’t lie coz I was the Lone Ranger crediting him for his work < 2017 , he was ultimately a hall of famer recruiter building a list that won 3 flags plus a VFL flag and r/up
So you prob wanna know what I think of Toce , no reason to believe he’s not fit for purpose

Maybe buy his family a house.... where have I heard that before???

Incorrect. Let me clear up your misinformation with some facts.

Bolton was selected in 2016. Clarke was elevated to head recruiter in 2017. Higgins was his first selection.

Toce was made head of St Kilda recruiting in 2022. So the players selected under Toce were Phillipou(2022) and Darcy Wilson(2023) and a bunch of kids post pick 30 - who remain to be seen what they are like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Trade Requested For Right Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back