Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Turn it up Chubbs. Where was the adequate replacement for letting McKay walk? Comben? So we rob Peter to pay Paul? And with that pick we drafted another general forward. Like we really needed another one of those. I know what I’m talking about. It is you who is blinded. The truth is staring you in the face. :stern look
Logue coming back and recruiting gun junior Will Dawson perhaps? :stern look

I did my list review and he is my 7th or 8th delisting. Based on thinking we only rotate 5-6 players, I think a contract is fine.
Na. We need ten out. We are four over at the moment. If, as many seem to want, we trade in an old bloke, we can then take four + River at the draft. Keeping Will isn't a serious option. It would be great if he was worth more than a list spot.

Na. We need ten out. We are four over at the moment. If, as many seem to want, we trade in an old bloke, we can then take four + River at the draft. Keeping Will isn't a serious option. It would be great if he was worth more than a list spot.
Will isn’t a serious option but River Stevens is?

Oh boy.

Will had his chance. He didn't take it. River might. He looks promising to me.
Well i cant wait until you turn on him too then.

If he falls all the way to the rookie draft, does that mean he gets more or less time to be cast aside?

Last edited:
I don't know... I just can't give up on the bloke just yet.

There is still a role for him. I look at our mids that panicked on the weekend and couldn't get clean ball then I watch some of Phillips' efforts when he's playing... there is something to work with.

When he has the ball, it's almost like he puts a magnet on the footy to find another target. He rarely misses a kick inside 50 or a dart in the stoppages. He knows the inside game, where to be, can release his teammates with the more explosive position and most importantly, can win his own ball. He is probably the cleanest shot at goal too. Rarely misses those. Maybe he doesn't have the best tank or can cover the ground completely just yet but who knows what can happen when he puts in another shift to get there.

I don't want him to play well for another team. I want this bloke to get the engine running on all cylinders with us. Make that number 29 come to life again. We need him motoring along.

Turn it up Chubbs. Where was the adequate replacement for letting McKay walk? Comben? So we rob Peter to pay Paul? And with that pick we drafted another general forward. Like we really needed another one of those. I know what I’m talking about. It is you who is blinded. The truth is staring you in the face. :stern look
Yes combens one game a year in the forward line is what we’re missing out on
McKay has clearly shown that he wasn’t taking us to the promise land

Well i cant wait until you turn on him too then.

If he falls all the way to the rookie draft, does that mean he gets more or less time to be cast aside?
Turn on him? Cast aside? Will had four years and 42 games. That is more than most get and we will be cutting several who have had far fewer opportunities than him. It's a tough business, but Will is the same weight he was at 16 and he still can't run. He isn't going to make it in a game where running is what you spend most of your time doing.

Turn on him? Cast aside? Will had four years and 42 games. That is more than most get and we will be cutting several who have had far fewer opportunities than him. It's a tough business, but Will is the same weight he was at 16 and he still can't run. He isn't going to make it in a game where running is what you spend most of your time doing.
yea yea yea, same old same old, i get it. they dont report weights anymore but you magically know, of course. it all makes sense.

Yes combens one game a year in the forward line is what we’re missing out on
McKay has clearly shown that he wasn’t taking us to the promise land

**** me, we couldn’t win a game with him in the team last year. We’re in the same boat, but with pick a number 4 draft pick in our sky rocket.

yea yea yea, same old same old, i get it. they dont report weights anymore but you magically know, of course. it all makes sense.
True, I haven't weighed Will, but I have watched him try to run (or more often choose not to). Do you honestly think he can run well enough to play midfield, or any position really, in today's game?

I don't know... I just can't give up on the bloke just yet.

There is still a role for him. I look at our mids that panicked on the weekend and couldn't get clean ball then I watch some of Phillips' efforts when he's playing... there is something to work with.

When he has the ball, it's almost like he puts a magnet on the footy to find another target. He rarely misses a kick inside 50 or a dart in the stoppages. He knows the inside game, where to be, can release his teammates with the more explosive position and most importantly, can win his own ball. He is probably the cleanest shot at goal too. Rarely misses those. Maybe he doesn't have the best tank or can cover the ground completely just yet but who knows what can happen when he puts in another shift to get there.

I don't want him to play well for another team. I want this bloke to get the engine running on all cylinders with us. Make that number 29 come to life again. We need him motoring along.
It’s like Clarko and Co would rather Jy and Luke’s ball use and clean disposal to lead us to the promise land 👍🏻 baffles me, we have a handful of blokes on our list who are clean with the pill in hand (WP is one of them….) yet we either play them out of position or don’t give them a game at all, and we continue to get burnt by the senior players every week with their dog shit, non AFL standard disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s like Clarko and Co would rather Jy and Luke’s ball use and clean disposal to lead us to the promise land 👍🏻 baffles me, we have a handful of blokes on our list who are clean with the pill in hand (WP is one of them….) yet we either play them out of position or don’t give them a game at all, and we continue to get burnt by the senior players every week with their dog shit, non AFL standard disposal.

In terms of ranking the midfielders on our list where does WP fit in your opinion?

In my opinion. Midfielders only
1. Sheez
2. LDU
3. Powell
4. Wardlaw
5. Jy
6. Will Phill
I think this perfectly highlight why Will get's played out of position at time or left out completely.

While the premise of your post is hard to argue. I do get confused with the answer being Will. I watched the VFL last week and up against a bunch of amateur footballers. He wasn’t flash, got 20 disposals and 3 of those were in a 30 second disaster which lead to an easy goal for South Park or whoever they are.

He was getting man handled in the centre, couldn’t find any separation and covered ground like an 80 yr old in a retirement village.

Now like you I’m sick of losing but really on his VFL form he doesn’t deserve a game. Jack Mahony is having a better VFL career at Gold Coast.

Amd as poor as Jy has been he covers ground, hence why he’s being played in front of Will.

There are coaches inside our club that felt Cooper Lord was a better option than Will. And we didn’t call his name when the opportunity arose.

Now if we gave Will another deal I’m probably not going to be surprised.

We need to draft another mid at seasons end. LDU and Sheezel is it. Wardlaw is unfit, Powell is a third stringer and Jy currently sucks.

Happy days aye .

Yep. I would’ve kept McKay. I was as fascinated as you were after the Freo game that supporters weren’t excited when we didn’t offer McKay a contract. McKay ain’t as bad as some of clowns on this forum have suggested. I heard crickets yesterday and last week in regards to Comben’s defending etc. Had that been McKay, boy oh boy. Remember Snrubs. The truth is staring you in the face. :stern look
Yes we made a terrible error in not matching the Essendon offer to make McKay the highest paid player in the game and he is certainly a lock for AA selection this year. I don't doubt that McKay would have been outstanding for us in the West Coast and Bulldogs games, just as he was for Essendon versing Gold Coast and Sydney over the past couple of weeks. And as I understand it, in honour of his heroic efforts over the last few weeks, Essendon supporters are raising the funds to erect the 50' McKay statue and place it on top of the Windy Hill Bowling Club as we speak.

Yes we made a terrible error in not matching the Essendon offer to make McKay the highest paid player in the game and he is certainly a lock for AA selection this year. I don't doubt that McKay would have been outstanding for us in the West Coast and Bulldogs games, just as he was for Essendon versing Gold Coast and Sydney over the past couple of weeks. And as I understand it, in honour of his heroic efforts over the last few weeks, Essendon supporters are raising the funds to erect the 50' McKay statue and place it on top of the Windy Hill Bowling Club as we speak.
Apparently it's almost done...
1724114458691.png

Last edited:
He would have moaned about that too.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

In terms of ranking the midfielders on our list where does WP fit in your opinion?
It depends what role he’s playing. As a defensive mid he’s probably one of the first picked?

In general rotation probably fourth string at the moment.

Where do you have him?

In my opinion. Midfielders only
1. Sheez
2. LDU
3. Powell
4. Wardlaw
5. Jy
6. Will Phill

1. Sheezel
2. LDU
3. Wardlaw
4. Powell/Phillips tied