Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Aren't we being a bit harsh on Simpkin? He's a two time best and fairest winner that has a had a poor year. Poor skills and decision making, but you can't question his effort and intensity
Exactly, he’s a two time b&f winner in one of the worst sides in history. He’s been a rock for us, but if we are to move forward maybe he needs to adapt to a new role to stay in the team?

Powell is the one who doesn’t stand up when it’s required.

He needs to add strength to his game around the stoppage (had four years to that if we use Will’s tank as the measurement) or we need to roll him off half back.

I think he would be devastating there, or if he embraced the role of being a high half forward without sooking up that he isn’t getting midfield minutes he could do some serious damage with his goal sense.

Aren't we being a bit harsh on Simpkin? He's a two time best and fairest winner that has a had a poor year. Poor skills and decision making, but you can't question his effort and intensity

That started with a brutal concussion that many thought could end his career.

1. Sheezel
2. LDU
3. Wardlaw
4. Powell/Phillips tied
5. Jy Simpkin

I really like Will, I want him to stay, I think he has a tonne of improvement left in him - but he's 5th on that list and by some distance.

Mostly because he has yet to show his full capacity post serious illnesses.

Not in my opinion, no.

Look, Jy was a stalwart for this club and at his best he was fantastic.

But the unfortunate truth seems to be the concussions have derailed his career and left him a shell of his peak. I'm ranking on current form, not previous peaks.

While the premise of your post is hard to argue. I do get confused with the answer being Will. I watched the VFL last week and up against a bunch of amateur footballers. He wasn’t flash, got 20 disposals and 3 of those were in a 30 second disaster which lead to an easy goal for South Park or whoever they are.

He was getting man handled in the centre, couldn’t find any separation and covered ground like an 80 yr old in a retirement village.

Now like you I’m sick of losing but really on his VFL form he doesn’t deserve a game. Jack Mahony is having a better VFL career at Gold Coast.

Amd as poor as Jy has been he covers ground, hence why he’s being played in front of Will.

There are coaches inside our club that felt Cooper Lord was a better option than Will. And we didn’t call his name when the opportunity arose.

Now if we gave Will another deal I’m probably not going to be surprised.

We need to draft another mid at seasons end. LDU and Sheezel is it. Wardlaw is unfit, Powell is a third stringer and Jy currently sucks.

Happy days aye .

Sometimes i wonder whether there is a reason why he has these type of performances when he gets treated like a cog in the wheel and is always the first one to be dropped.

He’s probably had enough. Not excusing his performance but there has been plenty of times (more than an other player) where has gone back and played really well, kept his head high.

Only so much you can do. I honestly think Will has been cleaner than Wardlaw since his concussion tbh.

I still think there is absolutely no harm in offering him a 2 year contract, my ****ing lord we have offered players that barely want to bleed for the North colours more :(

You need to understand Big Footy logic.

1. It was a disgrace that we delisted all of our senior experience at the end of 2016
2. It was a disgrace that we delisted all of our senior experience at the end of 2020
3. It's a disgrace if we don't delist all of our senior experience at the end of 2024.

Not in my opinion, no.

But the unfortunate truth seems to be the concussions have derailed his career and left him a shell of his peak. I'm ranking on current form, not previous peaks.
Yep, fair enough. Agree that the concussions seem to have taken a toll, as has the weight of the captaincy likely. If Will ends up extending with the club, hopefully both players can have a clean run in preseason and improve on their 2024 output.

1. It was a disgrace that we delisted all of our senior experience at the end of 2016
2. It was a disgrace that we delisted all of our senior experience at the end of 2020
3. It's a disgrace if we don't delist all of our senior experience at the end of 2024.
When has anyone said to delist Simpkin?

Or any senior players for that matter?

Last edited:

I haven't seen anyone suggesting Jy should be delisted. Just that he shouldn't be automatic best 22 next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to give Will more time. I really would I think that there is a player in there somewhere but that player is going to take time and effort to bring to the surface.

At the start of this year he was behind Lazzaro, who in all likelihood is about to be delisted.

If we recruit a senior player who is in the midfield he would be behind them, if we use pick 2 (maybe 1 after this weekend) he will likely be behind them as well.

the is Jy 5th or 6th on that list conversation is splitting hairs. They both potentially find themselves at 7th or 8th.

They both need massive preseasons. Jy one where he doesn't get his head taken off and Will one where he shows more than he has to this point.

I like both players FWIW. I really want Jy to find what he once had and I really want Will to make it.

Not in my opinion, no.

If you're ranking on current form, you can't have Powell and Phillips equal then right?

If you're ranking on current form, you can't have Powell and Phillips equal then right?

I can and do. But I'm apparently higher on Phillips than many others.

My take on them both at the moment roughly breaks down as;
  • Powell (averages 80%~ TOG) has great patches but also a lot of patches where he goes completely missing. Needs to work on consistency.
  • Phillips (averages 65-75%~ TOG) is consistent but needs to improve his fitness and work on making more of an impact when he's on the ground.
They're both good and both flawed in different ways. Powell's best has been better than Phillips' best, but Phillips 'worst' has been better than Powell's worst.

• Powell (averages 80%~ TOG) has great patches but also a lot of patches where he goes completely missing. Needs to work on consistency.
  • Phillips (averages 65-75%~ TOG) is consistent but needs to improve his fitness and work on making more of an impact when he's on the ground.
They're both good and both flawed in different ways. Powell's best has been better than Phillips' best, but Phillips 'worst' has been better than Powell's worst.

Sorry but Powell is a long way ahead at the moment. And I have some doubts on him.

Turn on him? Cast aside? Will had four years and 42 games. That is more than most get and we will be cutting several who have had far fewer opportunities than him. It's a tough business, but Will is the same weight he was at 16 and he still can't run. He isn't going to make it in a game where running is what you spend most of your time doing.
You need to remember his debut game was in 2021 and a lot of young players dont start playing AFL until their 2nd year and he came to the club in 2020 plus he didnt play at all in 2022 due to covid and glandualar fever. He was never going to make it in 2023 as he needed to start from scratch with fitness. So 42 games is quite reaonable considering all that has happened to him...If he plays 2 more years and is still at the level he is at now then l will agree with you but until then he needs another contract..

2021 16 games
2022 out due to glandular fever and covid
2023 16 games
2024 10 games this year

thats not that terrible..especially with the mids we have atm..

Appreciate the post and we all have our favourites, but I reckon Powell is well ahead. That said, I think Phillips has the capacity to play footy just as good as Tom's best.

Jy is still best 22, and will be next year too... that's pretty telling, though.

If Jy is best 22 next year, it won't be as a midfielder. At least not based on his 2024 form.

Is there a role for him on the forward flank, though? Yeah, I think there can be.

But in 2025 our midfield rotation must be some combination of;

Xerri / Sheezel / Wardlaw / LDU / McKercher / Zurhaar / Powell / Duursma

That's not including if we end up drafting someone like Smilie with our first pick this upcoming draft, nor if we bring in a free agent/trade target such as a Luke Parker or even a Petracca. Also, since we're in the Will Phillips thread I'll just say I hope we re-sign him and if we do I think there's a place for him in our midfield.

Exactly, he’s a two time b&f winner in one of the worst sides in history. He’s been a rock for us, but if we are to move forward maybe he needs to adapt to a new role to stay in the team?

Yes - Simpkin is a decent player and has been at the pointy end of our talent pool for a while… but the fact he is there and co captain points to our problem: he wouldn’t be in the midfield let alone a captain in many other teams.

We’ll know we are getting a lot better when we can move past him as a key player.

Until then, he’s our Jy and at least displays the unrelenting intent at the ball that many on our list should learn from. Top servant of the club … but one we will benefit from being able to move past before long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back