Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Pardon the intrusion, just wanted to say this won't be difficult to find. There are always veterans who dominate the state leagues, that can give direction and fill in for a few games at the top level if required, who you can get cheap. For example, Jarryd Lyons will probably be delisted from Brisbane at the end of the season, and he's hit 30 disposals six times this year in the VFL. If he wants to go back to Victoria to finish off his career, you'll be able to get him for free.
Yeah for sure you can get those guys but are they capable of being in that squad of 30 players you can rely on to come in and do a job at AFL level.

Yeah for sure you can get those guys but are they capable of being in that squad of 30 players you can rely on to come in and do a job at AFL level.
Not at a premiership contender, but some of them can do a respectable job in a non-finals team. You'd only play them in case of injury though. And only if Phillips wants out.

Not surprised at his omission. He has struggled the last two weeks without a direct tag & was the obvious out for Wardlaw.
Needs to go back to the VFL & work his ass off.

Last edited:
Sad Cartoons GIF

This is brutal.
Clarko is going to make him earn it but f*** Iā€™d rather Will than Stephens running around.
McDonald, Taylor and Pink would be players 22, 21, 20 keeping him out also.

Footy is a campaigner of game

This is brutal.
Clarko is going to make him earn it but f*** Iā€™d rather Will than Stephens running around.
McDonald, Taylor and Pink would be players 22, 21, 20 keeping him out also.

Footy is a campaigner of game

100% this.
Good onya Clarko. Fap around about how awesome the Swans are, then drop a real Shinboner while lesser players keep their spot.
Sigh. Whereā€™s that rock bottom thread again?

Timing is everything we are stacked with midfielders and the ones performing the best will be first. Look I would like to have Will in every week obviously itā€™s for team balance. I really hope he stays but can understand if he doesnā€™t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shiels' tank is much bigger than Will's, plus he can play multiple positions
Thatā€™s all well and good but one will be a recruiter soon the other should be in our team the next decade

Iā€™d rather get games into the one with a long term future at our club and give him more time to gel with our mids

Timing is everything we are stacked with midfielders and the ones performing the best will be first. Look I would like to have Will in every week obviously itā€™s for team balance. I really hope he stays but can understand if he doesnā€™t.
He doesn't have a contract? If the club decides to keep him next year he should be resting and playing alot more half back or forward in the VFL. Desperately needs another string to the bow, can't rest on the pine only.

Thatā€™s all well and good but one will be a recruiter soon the other should be in our team the next decade

Iā€™d rather get games into the one with a long term future at our club and give him more time to gel with our mids

Thank you. šŸ™ŒšŸ¼

He doesn't have a contract? If the club decides to keep him next year he should be resting and playing alot more half back or forward in the VFL. Desperately needs another string to the bow, can't rest on the pine only.
I think his contract runs out this yr

But with LDU, Wardlaw, Sheez, Jy, Powell all ahead of him there is no midfield time available for him.

As much as he bleeds blue and white he hasnā€™t shown enough versatility to play anywhere outside of an inside mid role.

But with LDU, Wardlaw, Sheez, Jy, Powell all ahead of him there is no midfield time available for him.

As much as he bleeds blue and white he hasnā€™t shown enough versatility to play anywhere outside of an inside mid role.

But I ask- why is Will the one who has to prove versatility when weā€™ve got one-way running one-dimensional softies who murder the ball that get a game without question?

Thereā€™s always room for a shinboner like Will. Always.

But I ask- why is Will the one who has to prove versatility when weā€™ve got one-way running one-dimensional softies who murder the ball that get a game without question?

Are those you reference have multiple players in the same position or are playing because we are light on?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree spud find a flipping spot for him. He is tough plenty of talent and most of all I reckon he wants to be with us. One thing it shows we are getting depth now

Even if we shift the magnets. This idea that ā€œthereā€™s no spot for himā€ because of one particular spot is bogus. Weve accepted so much mediocrity and disinterest elsewhere - we need to reward guys who want to be with us. I saw his game against Gold Coast first hand. Heā€™s tough as they come.

But I ask- why us Will the one who has to prove versatility when weā€™ve got one-way running softies who murder the ball that get a game without question?

Because the position he is best suited to he is behind other players.

If heā€™s not able to get into his position of choice as an inside mid then he needs to be versatile enough to be a better option on a wing then Stephens for example which he just isnā€™t as things stand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back