Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Putting McIntosh, 58 & 73 to the side, I'd be very surprised if you gave up 21 for Phillips. Although if you did there would be a lot of very happy posters on here as that would balance out what we gave up for CCJ.
Yeah I think they'd be better off going to the draft with 21. A team like the Dees/Hawks/Crows/Pies/Saints/Cats who are more finals aspirants might be able to afford to give up a 2nd rounder in a pick exchange for Will.

someone on the Richmond thread is proposing McIntosh & 21 for Phillips 58 & 73.

thoughts ?

I don't get to see North play at all on my free to air, so can't remember him at all. I noticed he got dropped again. Has he had Glandular fever?
that can take a while to heal
It sounds like well overs to me (as in Rich giving up too much)

I'd say there's a 75/25 split on BigFooty between North fans who love Will Phillips and want him playing every single week, and then other North fans who think he's no good and we should trade him.

I belong in that 75 camp and I love Will Phillips, and wouldn't want to trade him.

But I can say with near certainty that if we were going to trade him, it wouldn't be for a 30 year old midfielder. The 'problem' with Phillips at the moment is we have a lot of good talent in our midfield so quality players like Will Phillips are in tough competition to get games. Trading for Kamdyn wouldn't make any sense at all for North's list right now.
I think it's more like 25% love him and want him playing every week, 25% can't stand him and want him gone.
The rest of us are far more realistic and accept he has strengths and weaknesses, deserves a chance but has been disappointing and not a walk-up start.

The fascination with Phillips is astounding in BF
It’s prob due to the supporters not being used to having a potential bust top 10 pick
Who was our last bust in top 10? David trotter at pick 9??

It’s prob due to the supporters not being used to having a potential bust top 10 pick
For different reasons Tarryn Thomas is our most recent top 10 bust.

I think it's more like 25% love him and want him playing every week, 25% can't stand him and want him gone.
The rest of us are far more realistic and accept he has strengths and weaknesses, deserves a chance but has been disappointing and not a walk-up start.
I am in the 50% but I just really want him to make it.

Maybe I’m old but in my memory North’s top 10 picks have been busts more often than not.

thoughts ?

I don't get to see North play at all on my free to air, so can't remember him at all. I noticed he got dropped again. Has he had Glandular fever?
We would take that and run, zero chance you guys offer that

thoughts ?

If that's an actual thing, i would say 60 - 40 atm unless phillips return and finish the year off as a tagger and take a few more scalps.

news of his lack of running power is a concern. If i remember correctly one of his pre-draft strengths was his gut running and ability to continually get from contest to contest.

I'd love to know what his VO2max is now vs. when he was drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is phillips a bust?
He was good in the tagging role wasn't he?
Was more match selection screwing him over than anything else..

If Richmond offer us pick 21 for two trash picks, not even considering McIntosh. I'd suggest Brady is now working for the Tiger.
Oh boy it just gets better and better
Unless McIntosh has a huge salary and its a salary dump then it's probably more 40 and Phillips for 21 if we're lucky or Tigers pick 35 (tied to Freo) for 58 and Phillips.

Last edited:

thoughts ?

I love Will, but I would snatch that deal from their hands quicker than they could change their mind.

news of his lack of running power is a concern. If i remember correctly one of his pre-draft strengths was his gut running and ability to continually get from contest to contest.

I'd love to know what his VO2max is now vs. when he was drafted.
Na. Endurance and getting from contest to contest has always been a weakness. Here is his draft profile.

Whilst he hasn't improved his endurance, he seems to have lost his acceleration and the ability to get out of contests.

Na. Endurance and getting from contest to contest has always been a weakness. Here is his draft profile.

Whilst he hasn't improved his endurance, he seems to have lost his acceleration and the ability to get out of contests.

He still haven't fully recovered from the glandular fever.

He has made some ground with tagging why not continue it, even if it's something temporary until he can establish in some more permanent role.

Anthony stevens was a tagger before fully establishing in the middle.

I remember when he got drafted jmac did an interview and talked about Powell and WAP. He was taken with Powell but said whilst promising WAP had clear things he needed to work on. I took that as running power.

I always thought he’d improve it sufficiently with time. Maybe I was wrong.

I remember when he got drafted jmac did an interview and talked about Powell and WAP. He was taken with Powell but said whilst promising WAP had clear things he needed to work on. I took that as running power.

I always thought he’d improve it sufficiently with time. Maybe I was wrong.

More conditioning needed

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back