Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't agree based on current performances. Powell's numbers have steadily improved year on year.
I'm still not fully convinced on Powell athletically but he looks more likely to make it than Will at this stage.
Will has some serious work to do on his confidence kicking the ball and building his fitness.
Powell has 1 blinder, V gold
Coast. Best on my observation
, other than that, he’s been about slightly worse than phillips as a mid. I think Phillips is a better midfielder. But who would wanna hear that in this thread

Powell has 1 blinder, V gold
Coast. Best on my observation
, other than that, he’s been about slightly worse than phillips as a mid. I think Phillips is a better midfielder. But who would wanna hear that in this thread
Cats, GC and Freo games he was good but he's been inconsistent but numbers show he's been better than Will.
Powell averages 6 more touches, 4 more kicks, 2 more marks, 2 more handballs, 2 more clearances.

I'm a big fan of Will but he's got some work to do to show he's the better mid. Needs to find his junior footy ability and start translating that at AFL level. Big preseason required if he stays.

Cats, GC and Freo games he was good but he's been inconsistent but numbers show he's been better than Will.
Powell averages 6 more touches, 4 more kicks, 2 more marks, 2 more handballs, 2 more clearances.

I'm a big fan of Will but he's got some work to do to show he's the better mid. Needs to find his junior footy ability and start translating that at AFL level. Big preseason required if he stays.
Not huge statistically different. I reckon I could throw out stats.. give me a chance to compare the pair

Premiership sides have more than 4 midfielders, we require 7 minimum

Also you can never have too many mids, look at bulldogs, their mids when firing is the best in the comp and that brings in the forward plus backs. We need at least half a dozen top end mids of various abilities, size and roles.

Every premiership team has an all-star mid hence getting smilie for us is very very important.

Well ideally, phillips + powell are our tier 2 mids where they can hold the fort in the centre while wadlaw sheezal ldu float forward to kick some goals.

Trading out phillips would barely get us a 3rd rounder so it's a total waste so why not get him up to scratch. To do that, our developmental team will need to step up. We should never waste a top 5 pick.

In the longrun, if phillips is one of our bottom 6 players then we will be doing quite well.

Well ideally, phillips + powell are our tier 2 mids where they can hold the fort in the centre while wadlaw sheezal ldu float forward to kick some goals.

Trading out phillips would barely get us a 3rd rounder so it's a total waste so why not get him up to scratch. To do that, our developmental team will need to step up. We should never waste a top 5 pick.

In the longrun, if phillips is one of our bottom 6 players then we will be doing quite well.
Thats what I think, for a list spot and a rocket up his arse, the upside outweighs the value in a trade. Retain X1 year

Keep him at club, can't let him go and then thrive, a bad look on the club.
The bad look for the club is drafting too many similar players.

Keeping him out of fear it clicks for him at another club is just childish list management.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's alright saying "must keep him", but he's got to want to stay as well. Only takes one team to sell him a vision and he could want out.

Preferably he wants to stay and we want to keep him.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Well he aint got anywhere else to go and there's not even any rumour that anyone is interested in him.

It would be interesting to quantify the nullification he can bring and how that figures in these numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back