Certified Legendary Thread 2nd Ashes Test England v Australia June 28-July 2 1930hrs @ Lords

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

My favourite line.

Another MCC member remarked: “I mean, he can sort out Afghanistan but he can’t sort out the Long Room.”

Who knew Afghanistan was 'sorted'? Thanks MCC fellow, jolly good effort.

It's the media that came up with the term Bazball not the England team, McCullum and Stokes hate the use of that term and never use it themselves.

That's not the same as the Carey/Bairstow incident, some of these old incidents that people bring up aren't the gotcha moments they think they are.

I agree they aren’t the same. So is the sneaky stumping by Carey less in the spirit of cricket than Bairstows sneaky stumping?

I reckon there are still some questions around Cummins' onfield decision-making, but the way he handles himself in pulbic/deals with the media is elite. He nailed the post-match press conference the other night. His comments here are bang on again.

“I know what our team does, and we concentrate on ourselves when we haven’t been playing up to scratch,” Cummins said. “We look pretty deeply at what we do and try and make amends for it. We don’t apportion blame to conditions or opposition or anything else going on.

“I’m really proud of the way our boys have conducted themselves this tour, especially on that day five [at Lord’s]. I thought the way they maintained respect for the opposition, the umpires, the crowd, their dignity was first class.”

Seen a couple of former wicket keepers (Healy and Ian Smith) make a very pertinent point for Mr Bairstow. Jonny claims he thought the ball was dead, yet he never looked back at the keeper. How can he know if Carey had cleanly collected the ball or had spilled it and it was halfway to the boundary for an easy bye.

Essentially both saying what we all know, Jonny is full of shit.

Seen a couple of former wicket keepers (Healy and Ian Smith) make a very pertinent point for Mr Bairstow. Jonny claims he thought the ball was dead, yet he never looked back at the keeper. How can he know if Carey had cleanly collected the ball or had spilled it and it was halfway to the boundary for an easy bye.

Essentially both saying what we all know, Jonny is full of s**t.
Dead Ball.
The ball shall be considered to be dead when it is clear to the bowler’s end umpire that the fielding side and both batters at the wicket have ceased to regard it as in play.

Which part of the above do the English players/media/supporters not understand...?

Dead Ball.
The ball shall be considered to be dead when it is clear to the bowler’s end umpire that the fielding side and both batters at the wicket have ceased to regard it as in play.

Which part of the above do the English players/media/supporters not understand...?

The ‘showering every day’ part

There had to be at least some kind of racist and/or islamophobic undertone to what one of those old w***ers said to Usie.
He said not. But no doubt ugly expletives. Bad enough for them to be singled out. I see two women in the photo, I wonder what the female membership thought of it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree they aren’t the same. So is the sneaky stumping by Carey less in the spirit of cricket than Bairstows sneaky stumping?

I would say the Carey one was less in the spirit of cricket than the Bairstow one, there has been more outrage over the Carey one which says something

I would say the Carey one was less in the spirit of cricket than the Bairstow one, there has been more outrage over the Carey one which says something
More outrage over something that happened in an internationally televised Ashes test vs. something that happened in a County match?

I’m shocked.

Scotland and Ireland are worth visiting. London sucks. Some of the English countryside is OK. But the weather does indeed suck and you won't be able to find a decent beer on tap.

I remember hearing a conversation between two Poms who were doing a stint in my office in Perth. They were complaining about how the fish and chips here were "not soggy enough" (I s**t you not), it was too hot and sunny, and the beaches had too many waves. Encapsulates the ****ed mindset of the country.

London’s cool. It does come off as dreary on a cloudy day and Thames is a muddy puddle, but there’s a character and a vibe to the city you don’t really get anywhere in Australia. And the fish and chips are fine. I didn’t notice a major difference tbh.

London’s cool. It does come off as dreary on a cloudy day and Thames is a muddy puddle, but there’s a character and a vibe to the city you don’t really get anywhere in Australia. And the fish and chips are fine. I didn’t notice a major difference tbh.
London in the 90s was a blast.

So if someone else thought that Bairstows was less in ‘the spirit of the game’, would they be wrong?

I say the extra outrage probably stems more from the fact the Carey one was in an Ashes series watched by millions, and Bairstows was in a county game watched by about 19 people

More outrage I suggest Plugger because, at the risk of stating the obvious, unlike's Bairstow's numerous previous attempts of the same, Carey's was successful and in doing so provided yet another example of a good test WK vs a poor one...;)

Last edited:
Because there's been more outrage? Seriously? The Poms lose a wicket (and Test) - to AUS, IN England. They have to be outraged by something, but saying that that proves any point is just silly.

Care to explain your reasoning?

They’re both batting in their crease, neither are looking to run or gain an advantage - two clear points that the English scum are claiming.

In Bairstows case the ball has settled and he’s literally waiting & waiting for that split second that the batters foot raises to clip the bails off, pretty sneaky.

In Carey’s he’s caught and thrown instantly and in that time Bairstow has wondered 2m down the pitch, he’s not lifting his foot for 1 millisecond - it’s not like Carey is holding the ball waiting for Bairstow to leave his crease to throw the stumps down. It happens in an instant, ie 99% of stumping that have ever existed.

Is it not okay because he’s not standing up to the stumps? If he was this wouldn’t even be in question, how does that make any sense

I’m cool with both of them but how can someone possibly say that Bairstows was more within ‘the spirit of the game’ with a straight face?

I didn't have a problem with the fish and chips there, they were OK, it was the kebabs there that were terrible, they don't even wrap them up.

The best part about London was the amount of pubs there, where I lived in Acton you could on a lengthy pub crawl all within walking distance.

So if someone else thought that Bairstows was less in ‘the spirit of the game’, would they be wrong?

I say the extra outrage probably stems more from the fact the Carey one was in an Ashes series watched by millions, and Bairstows was in a county game watched by about 19 people

That was a factor but it's also that the Carey stumping was far more unusual than the Bairstow stumping which was a pretty run of the mill stumping.

The fact that even the old MCC members in the Long Room were getting abusive just goes to show that the Carey stumping was highly unusual.

I've never seen anything like that there before and I don't think anyone else older than me would have seen anything like that there before either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2nd Ashes Test England v Australia June 28-July 2 1930hrs @ Lords

Back