Preview 2nd Qual Final - Port Adelaide vs Geelong - Friday 7:50

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Quarters of footy will not do it against Port. They keep on coming on.
Are we physically and mentally capable of playing relentless footy for a whole match?
A lot to ask of Selwood and Danger, yet Boak is capable, similar vintage
Port can't do what Melbourne did, and they can't do it to the level Melbourne did. Gawn went ****ing ape in the last quarter, Lycett couldn't put together Gawns 4Q stats over a whole game.

The only team stopping us from a flag this year is Melbourne but if we get Tuohy back in, and maybe Duncan, we are a chance.

Shut out Dixon at the moment and Port look very average in attack.

The two bolded finals we lost in part due to some horrendous selections (2013 Chapman as sub? fu** me. 2019 dropping Stanley against Grundy who dominated Esava and Blicavs in the ruck and put us on the back foot all finals).

And 2020 Hawkins horrendous goal kicking sunk us.

So really the only 2 QFs we were complete dog sh*t in were 2014 and 2017.

If we play against Port like we did against Melbourne, we will smash Port by 10 goals.
I will never forget Chappy as sub in that 2013 QF.
The worst decision I’ve ever seen.
And him being BOG the next week vs port only added fuel to the fire.

On Sat night I posted in the game day thread that we were getting ourselves in to a false sense of accomplishment by being up on Melbourne by so much.

If we'd won the game by 44pts there would be a level of cockiness existing, overconfidence perhaps.

A quarter and a half later we lost - left to crawl back in to our change rooms with a fair bit to ponder.

In another match, one team managed to roll the Doggies and would have left their ground with an air of confidence also.

I think that we have been set up well for the approach for this game, IMO.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Now we take Port very seriously and play as underdogs.

If we won, we'd be playing Brisbane nice and cocky and they potentially would have got us.

Port are a big undersized down back with Mackenzie (191cm) playing as a KPD and likely to get the job on Cameron I'd say.

What do we think about bringing in Ratugolea to stretch their defense even further, and provide some physicality against Lycett in the middle? I'm certainly not opposed to it - it's hard to tell if he's judged as best 22 given he got a run of games when Jez was injured and missed Demons game through injury.

We have injuries, and to key players. That is all it takes. You can't manufacture class when it isn't there, and Stewart, Duncan and Tuohy are simply key outs.
Playing a team in hot form at their HG, you could only be hoping for a win, not anticipating.
Port are certainly not unbeatable but they are 6-0 for close wins this year, and that is a statement.
I do understand where your coming from. But there will always be something going against us.
No excuses for mine.
This is it.

Port are a big undersized down back with Mackenzie (191cm) playing as a KPD and likely to get the job on Cameron I'd say.

What do we think about bringing in Ratugolea to stretch their defense even further, and provide some physicality against Lycett in the middle? I'm certainly not opposed to it - it's hard to tell if he's judged as best 22 given he got a run of games when Jez was injured and missed Demons game through injury.
He isn't good in the ruck, and he has had 1 good game and 3 poor games as a forward in Camerons absence.

If you are going to stretch Port like that, I would be going for Fort or SDK or literally anyone because while Esava MIGHT pop up with 2 goals, if he is in the ruck we are at a massive disadvantage.

The two bolded finals we lost in part due to some horrendous selections (2013 Chapman as sub? fu** me. 2019 dropping Stanley against Grundy who dominated Esava and Blicavs in the ruck and put us on the back foot all finals).

And 2020 Hawkins horrendous goal kicking sunk us.

So really the only 2 QFs we were complete dog sh*t in were 2014 and 2017.

If we play against Port like we did against Melbourne, we will smash Port by 10 goals.
Didn't we also have Hawkins out for the 2013 game? It as a surprise as he had a bad back and played previously.

Didn't we also have Hawkins out for the 2013 game? It as a surprise as he had a bad back and played previously.
Correct. Our goal scorers were Pods, Stevie, Duncan, Vardy, Motlop and Corey.

Hawkins was back the following week.

2013 was the big missed opportunity. I think we roll Hawks in the GF.

Yep, Josh walker took his spot. Also no ruck as our top 3 were all injured, so vardy had to ruck. Also small fwd curse (Menzel, McCarthy, Cowan) was underway.

clear top 4 that year and we were undefeated against them all going into that game.

Massive missed opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't want to sound cocky, I wish you all the best and I'm hoping for a gripping QF. I hate to say this, its ours to lose I think, but it wouldn't surprise me if you guys get up.

Dont want to sound cocky but "its ours to lose".... Righto champ, when did Port become Richmond of 2019!!! We arent just some scrub side you know...we actually beat you earlier in the year on your deck so how about you show some respect while posting on our board. Anyone would think you were playing Carlton.

It's the same scenario with our defense. Ladhams, Marshall and Dixon are all 200cm+ so this will be a bit of cat and mouse at the selection table.

I suspect Ratugolea will have to play as Blicavs will have his hands full defending all night.

All you need to ask of them is not the full four quarters based on Saturday night, it's more so just not to capitulate to that level in Q4.
I don't think we were physically capable of stopping their run-on. And if we were, then cues in the rack is our big hope.

In : Higgins Ratagolea
Out : Miers Kolo

Need a more mobile backline to combat Motlop, Butters, Rozee and Fantastia.

Need ruck support for Stanley and another marking forward to keep Aliir occupied and away from Hawkins.

Atkins Blicavs Henderson
Bews Henry O'Connor
Smith C Guthrie Menegola
Dalhaus Cameron Higgins
Close Hawkins Rohan
Stanley Dangerfield Selwood
Holmes Ratagolea
Simpson Parfitt
Medical sub : Miers

Dont want to sound cocky but "its ours to lose".... Righto champ, when did Port become Richmond of 2019!!! We arent just some scrub side you know...we actually beat you earlier in the year on your deck so how about you show some respect while posting on our board. Anyone would think you were playing Carlton.

I respect all teams, except for one which is not you guys.... I believe your forward line is better structured than ours which is what won it for you earlier in the year. Remember its only an opinion, if didn't respect you here I would of and could put some shite on here.... forgive me for wishing you luck.

Your record against teams in the top 4 would suggest otherwise.

Finals is a different proposition....

I don't think we were physically capable of stopping their run-on. And if we were, then cues in the rack is our big hope.

There's a big issue if we're in the same position moving in to Q4 on Friday night and Danger spends 8 or 9 minutes whatever it was on the bench.

Cam Guthrie certainly won't kick so narrowly down the line in the same position again either.

There is some good to come of our loss, believe you me

They looked gassed didn't they.
Port Adelaide have been doing exactly what Melbourne did, running over the top of teams so this is why Port Adelaide should get the win. I think Hawkins is the only one who has no suitable matchup so he should be able to take at least 7 marks and kick 4 goals or more.

Don't want to sound cocky, I wish you all the best and I'm hoping for a gripping QF. I hate to say this, its ours to lose I think, but it wouldn't surprise me if you guys get up.
I have to say, I went through the Port thread on this game and really enjoyed it. Alot of interesting analysis and thoughts on the game, not the typical "we will smash them" rubbish.

I've always thought we and port match up very well.
Who knows what last weeks game did to us mentally. We will probably never know.

But I think we need to win purely to give our defence a complete overhaul at training for a week.

Cannot win a prelim and a GF with our setup.
I actually would have kept Zach in last week and dropped kolo. He's a statue.

I hope Miers doesn't have the 2nd up blues, he looked OK on Saturday.

I only watched one quarter of the port v dogs game. It was as boring as hell. As I watched that I thought 'neither of these two are top 4 quality'.

As long as our runners aren't tired we will win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back