Preview 2nd Semi Final, 2020: Richmond v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Friday 9th October, 7:50PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Tigers

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Saints

Votes: 55 51.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really a like for like IMO other than they both play on a back flank.

Long is more defensive than Savage and much more inside than outside.

Webster probably closer to a like for like but has not played AFL footy for so long.

Webster is so overrated on here. He's fragile and plays loose as well. Savage and him both play off their man but Savage has a better inside game. Webster is a better distributor by foot so more like Coffield with out the marking weapon. Long doesn't play a tight defensive game but probably better in close again because of his physical edge. Long is the one player in our backline that given a lot of licence to take his opponent on and try to get around them carrying the ball.

They've been sucked into Naughton's forward line purple patch in the same way the Dees did with Tom McDonald.

Naughton looks much better than Mc Donald ever did. You'd back him to be a special player but he's still patchy, but then the Dogs ****ed up Stringer who should have been a gun too.

Naughton looks much better than Mc Donald ever did. You'd back him to be a special player but he's still patchy, but then the Dogs f’ed up Stringer who should have been a gun too.
In fairness to the dogs, Stringer ****ed himself over quite a lot.

Doesn't really matter what positions we are losing - its the best available to come back in. Played short in defence against WC - may go the same way again.

We won't bring in Abbott simply because we lost a ruckman - could use Battle, Marsh or Wilkie to fill in.

As I said in the post - if we are simply looking for someone who has not played much this season but you know will give 100%, heart on the sleeve finals effort Dunny is my first choice.
Of course it matters what positions we are losing.

They don't have to be exactly like for like but we need to take team balance into account.

You don't just rank your best 22 players on the list and pick them.

Not sure going short against WC is a great example considering we lost and Ratten brought Carlisle back the following week.

But, we win the appeal and the AFL and their cronies to issue a formal apology for the unfair treatment of our gentle soul Longy.
Could take a while 🙄

ihrw9MM.jpg

Webster is so overrated on here. He's fragile and plays loose as well. Savage and him both play off their man but Savage has a better inside game. Webster is a better distributor by foot so more like Coffield with out the marking weapon. Long doesn't play a tight defensive game but probably better in close again because of his physical edge. Long is the one player in our backline that given a lot of licence to take his opponent on and try to get around them carrying the ball.

I reckon Webster hasn't played for that long that people forget how good he was/is.

Playing Richmond is very different to playing the Dogs. The Tigers will try to bulldoze us thru the middle with pressure and physicality, the same way the Giants walked thru last year's Elim final.

So there's 2 ways to go - Dunstan to try and toughen up the middle, with Sincs playing more in the back half, or Hind, and try to run them off their feet with Gears going back. Ask me at 11pm Friday which way we should go.

Battle just has to be ready, has to be. He plays forward and I'd back him in as 2nd ruck against Chol.

Then Howard takes Lynch, and Wilkie takes Riewoldt, and Savage comes in.

This is the biggest challenge we've had this year, I hope we give it a good shake.

I reckon Webster hasn't played for that long that people forget how good he was/is.

Possibly, he seems to get a lot of love not afforded to others without much evidence. I reckon he has been injured since he was expected to take a big step and so has been let off.

we can't have the same low tackle and forward half pressure we had against the dogs on friday. if that happens its gonna get messy.

really need to hunt them from the opening bounce
It will be a completely different game plan. We dominated the bulldogs in the air and were generally taller & bigger around the ground. With our outs that won't work, which is why I think we'll revert to our early season plan of speed at all costs. If it comes off, it will be a thrilling, pulsating win. If not, we've exceeded expectations anyway and we can all focus on our usual highlight for the year - trades and drafts.

we can't have the same low tackle and forward half pressure we had against the dogs on friday. if that happens its gonna get messy.

really need to hunt them from the opening bounce
I think we played a bit loose against the bulldogs especially in the 1st half. Just seemed to be a meter or 2 away from being able to effect a tackle. Myb it was a tactic because we thought Naughtons mug would scare the ball away!! Better tighten that up against the Tigers. Brisbane increased their pressure and tightened up their tackling in the 2nd against Tigers and they couldn't get their run flowing like it was in the 1st.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly, he seems to get a lot of love not afforded to others without much evidence. I reckon he has been injured since he was expected to take a big step and so has been let off.
I think he gets a lotta love because he is courageous, quick, gives 100%, nice kick and has played some excellent games for us. I dont know if we have many players like that not getting any love. I rate him for his kicking and defensive skills personally. Really hope he can get to his best and put these injuries behind him.

I think he gets a lotta love because he is courageous, quick, gives 100%, nice kick and has played some excellent games for us. I dont know if we have many players like that not getting any love. I rate him for his kicking and defensive skills personally. Really hope he can get to his best and put these injuries behind him.
People remember the one worm burner that hits a target each game and forget about the other five that miss the target , yes he will create a contest but there is more to footy than just creating a contest

Do what Collingwood did in the West. Us v the world. Nobody gives us a chance, all Richmond has to do is turn up. They can rest half a dozen players, probably not even preparing, on the piss, and booking their flights to Adelaide.

Yup, we are sh*t, and worthless, we might as well fold.

Ratts mentioned that the Tigers were very unlucky not to have won 3 consecutive flags. He's talking them up.

This isn't how I remember Webster, although granted it's been quite a while now. I remember him being as tough as the come, very dour defender, good versatile size, good speed, decent intercept mark, elite tackling and (most of the time) kicking. Kind of like Gilbert with a better kick. I never thought he was a star, but he was a unanimous best 22 player before the injury troubles came along.

Of course it matters what positions we are losing.

They don't have to be exactly like for like but we need to take team balance into account.

You don't just rank your best 22 players on the list and pick them.

Not sure going short against WC is a great example considering we lost and Ratten brought Carlisle back the following week.
"You don't just rank your best 22 players on the list and pick them."

Sorry as I specified, that's exactly what I was doing - - I was ranking the players who

A - have not played very often this season and

B - would give you the best "heart on sleeve 100% finals style" commitment.

Now if you ask me who I think will get selected on Friday night its pretty straight forward. Battle Marsh and Savage (if Long is suspended).

But if you put a line through Battle then it represents such a major change to our previous set ups and will then depend on how much Ratts trusts the existing players to adapt and how he wants to approach the game given the outs.

We went short against WC and Ratts said the reason we lost was not purely because of the Carlisle omission it was because the backs didn't play as they were instructed.

So we may go short again and try and run and gun in which case Savage/Hind may get a run, they may go next best tall defender so Robbo comes in, they may try to stack the midfield a bit more in which case Dunstan will play, we may go left field and play Abbott, they may even go - jeez maybe a moment of individual brilliance will win it for us - in which case Parker may get a run.

So in short - if Battle isn't fit, I've got no idea who else will come in.

Interesting that no "KPDS" are talked about in the Scratch match round up.

Interesting that no "KPDS" are talked about in the Scratch match round up.

Going off the article, Savage will come in regardless of whether Long or Battle play. Ideally it’s Carlisle & Ryder for Savage & Battle with Long’s appeal successful.

People remember the one worm burner that hits a target each game and forget about the other five that miss the target , yes he will create a contest but there is more to footy than just creating a contest
I reckon its probably around the other way for some, but horses for courses. Been a long time since he has played

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back