AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Well he's going to need to triple his running power to be that.
agree. and probably get a bit stronger so he can push through congestion.

But he's 20, 21? plenty of time for the tank and strength to develop.
for now, tidying up the skills is key. He looked like a rolls royce in year 1.

I see him as the heir apparent to Zaha. Cousins was a phenomenon, rarely anyone can run like that and still be good at footy.

You need to have 8-9 capable midfielders these days to be a premiership threat so hes required, just needs to get over this hiccup. Tbh, I feel sorry for him being caught up in the early season shennanigans

Cousins is stretching it, although he certainly looks like Cousins when he’s running with the ball.

I see no reason why he can’t reach Sloane’s level if given the time to develop physically. He’s got a natural nose for the ball and great hands, it’s all about size and strength for me

Some pretty serious overreactions in here.

I'm just trying to watch games without any prejudices and provide insights for those who don't watch VFL games. By no prejudices it's just what I see exactly as I see it. No weighting of performances based on reputations. I'm also focusing on how a game might translate to AFL. If I've got a problem with someone I won't hide it and I'm not going to talk up the performances of players I like unless they're deserving.

If the responses to Clarke are anything to go by it's absolutely futile but I'll do it anyway because it interests me.

What I noticed about Parish is that I couldn't separate him from Mynott in terms of the quality of his play and his influence. He's clearly a class below Redman.

I would prefer to have Redman in the side at this point in time. The 40 odd games of AFL experience that separates them doesn't stand as any indicator of what will happen in the next 40 it's really just a reflection of the reward for Parish's efforts as a kid playing AFL (and his efforts particularly in 2016 deserved the reward). The reality is that Parish is still playing footy as a kid.

Granted that Parish is still only 21 but we might need to reset our expectations for him in the immediate future because if his performances continue on the same path, it is possible that a number of players have gone past him. That doesn't mean that he's a bust or not AFL standard but he could be playing a lot of VFL footy in the next 18 months. He is, afterall, still a development group player at least based on his age.

Last edited:
I've seen it a few times after the last couple of losses where not only is a young player's current form questioned (which is fair enough), but then many find the need to then go and make a call on the rest of their ****ing career! It's mental.

I'm just trying to watch games without any prejudices and provide insights for those who don't watch VFL games. By no prejudices it's just what I see exactly as I see it. No weighting of performances based on reputations. I'm also focusing on how a game might translate to AFL. If I've got a problem with someone I won't hide it and I'm not going to talk up the performances of players I like unless they're deserving.

If the responses to Clarke are anything to go by it's absolutely futile but I'll do it anyway because it interests me.

What I noticed about Parish is that I couldn't separate him from Mynott in terms of the quality of his play and his influence. He clearly a class below Redman.

I would prefer to have Redman in the side at this point in time. The 40 odd games of experience that separates them doesn't stand as any indicator of what will happen in the next 40 it's really just a reflection of the reward for Parish's efforts as a kid playing AFL.

Granted that Parish is still only 21. We might need to reset out expectations for him in the immediate future because if his performances continue on the same path, it is possible that a number of players have gone past him.
I am not so sure about that! Your comment that Josh Green had a worse games in the VFL (despite kicking 3 goals and having 20 possessions) than Laverde did in the seniors was an interesting one. If that statement isn't dripping with personal prejudice, I don't know what is!

I am not so sure about that! Your comment that Josh Green had a worse games in the VFL (despite kicking 3 goals and having 20 possessions) than Laverde did in the seniors was an interesting one. If that statement isn't dripping with personal prejudice, I don't know what is!

It might read like that now but I've been arguing with everyone in the Laverde thread about how unimpressed with his game I was having seen it live.

I don't like Green, everyone knows. I was actually sitting in the stand in the thinking that he looked really good in the first quarter and I posted as much. He then faded out of the game and was putting in efforts that indicated that his fitness is not VFL standard let alone AFL standard.

If the person who does the 'bests' on the website is the same as guy who can't mention Josh Green in any interview he conducts before creaming his pants thinking about asking the question, you have all the information you need.

Edit: this is a case in point:

Has been a mainstay in our side for the
past two and a half years, has a slight drop in form, goes to the VFL, and he's being written off?

This ****ing board

For a start, no one has written anyone off.

More importantly, what does Parish being a mainstay of the side for two year have to do with his game on the weekend? The answer can only be 'nothing' and if Parish gets recalled to the senior side it will only be because he has been a mainstay and I'd suggest that it's exactly the rationale that has held our side back for a long period of time now.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the kick up the backside he needs, going to be a very important midfielder for us if he can adapt to the modern game & improve his defensive running.

Firstly, Parish’s mainstay status over 2016-17 has nothing to do with his game in the weekend, and anyone claiming it does has it wrong.

However, calls that he won’t have a role in our 22 moving forward are seriously reactionary. He’s been down on form but he’s also only a third year player and it’s basically the first time he’s been dropped in his career. He will bounce back, of that I have no doubt whatsoever.

For context, Joe Misiti was dropped in his seventh season, for a final to boot. It wasn’t the end of the world for him just as this won’t be for Parish.

The quality of Parish's play has stagnated. He is not clearly better today than he was at the end of his rookie year. Perhaps he had become comfortable in the seniors, believing that his position is safe, and wasn't doing everything he could to get the most out of his abilities.

Hopefully a spell in the VFL is enough to get him back on track. Parish isn't the player we need him to be right now and that has to change.

Tbh his mainstay status has nothing to do with his game on the weekend and I know that; it's moreso a statement that he will certainly be a Best 22 player moving forward.

This may have been the kick up the arse he needed.

As Doss said, it's similar to the Misiti dropping.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/05...op-10-picks-in-2015-shaping-to-be-a-disaster/

Looks like Parish is a failure guys, according to Kornes. Delist him at the end of the year?

"Other players taken in the 2015 draft after Parish and Francis include Jacob Hopper (pick 7), Harry McKay (pick 10), Charlie Curnow (pick 12), Matthew Kennedy (pick 13), Eric Hipwood (pick 14), Daniel Rioli (pick 15) and Ryan Burton (pick 19)"

We would have been better taking Kennedey, because he's so good that he got dropped from Carlton. Or Hopper, even though GWS would have matched our bid. Or Mckay whose 3 games have been better than Parish's 40+ games.

Just reading the article the criticism Kornes provides is completely fair. Neither Parish or Francis have come on as expected. We're in year 3 after that which is really when you'd be hoping they'd be breaking out, not stagnating.

This isn't to write either off, there is still time as they say. But both need to take a couple of steps up to be considered worthy of their selection. Otherwise what Kornes has said is completely fair. We had 2x early first rounders and 2x early second rounders. Of these:

Parish: 47 games
Francis: 5 games
Morgan: 0 games, left as delisted FA
Redman: 3 games

This simply isn't good enough from the selections we had. Redman starting to show a lot in the seconds but will this translate? Francis has had off-field issues but wasn't exactly burning down the house beforehand. Parish started the year pretty well and dropped off massively to the point of being dropped.

If we redo the 2015 draft Parish is the only one that would reasonably crack the top 15. Off the top of my head (in a very loose order), others considered would include:

1. Clayton Oliver
2. Charlie Curnow
3. Eric Hipwood
4. Callum Mills
5. Ryan Burton
6. Jacob Hopper
7. Jacob Weitering
8. Daniel Rioli
9. Jade Gresham
10. Josh Dunkley
11. Tom Doedee
12. Riley Bonner
13. Wayne Milera
14. Tom Papley
15. Sam Menegola

Others who could still come on: Weidman, McKay x2, Schache, Cole
Others in the mix: Walla, Greenwood, Kennedy, Himmelburg, Tucker, Matheison

Even if you argues he makes the top 10 against the above. That's just not enough return from the 2015 draft. Really hoping he can work his way up to challenge the top 5 but some of the criticism is valid

Just reading the article the criticism Kornes provides is completely fair. Neither Parish or Francis have come on as expected. We're in year 3 after that which is really when you'd be hoping they'd be breaking out, not stagnating.

This isn't to write either off, there is still time as they say. But both need to take a couple of steps up to be considered worthy of their selection. Otherwise what Kornes has said is completely fair. We had 2x early first rounders and 2x early second rounders. Of these:

Parish: 47 games
Francis: 5 games
Morgan: 0 games, left as delisted FA
Redman: 3 games

This simply isn't good enough from the selections we had. Redman starting to show a lot in the seconds but will this translate? Francis has had off-field issues but wasn't exactly burning down the house beforehand. Parish started the year pretty well and dropped off massively to the point of being dropped.

If we redo the 2015 draft Parish is the only one that would reasonably crack the top 15. Off the top of my head (in a very loose order), others considered would include:

1. Clayton Oliver
2. Charlie Curnow
3. Eric Hipwood
4. Callum Mills
5. Ryan Burton
6. Jacob Hopper
7. Jacob Weitering
8. Daniel Rioli
9. Jade Gresham
10. Josh Dunkley
11. Tom Doedee
12. Riley Bonner
13. Wayne Milera
14. Tom Papley
15. Sam Menegola

Others who could still come on: Weidman, McKay x2, Schache, Cole
Others in the mix: Walla, Greenwood, Kennedy, Himmelburg, Tucker, Matheison

Even if you argues he makes the top 10 against the above. That's just not enough return from the 2015 draft. Really hoping he can work his way up to challenge the top 5 but some of the criticism is valid
He makes top 5 of that bunch. Rioli, Gresham and Dunkley? Lol

I didn't know that Cornes had written that article, that's bad timing.

He won't have seen anything of Redman, for a start and it really doesn't matter where the quality players come from. He knows Francis was a top 10 pick who has had his problems but he also wont know that Francis is playing better football at the moment than he has previously.

A third year player, no matter where he's drafted can get dropped for a period of time and it doesn't really matter.

I doubt that Parish has been 'kicked in the arse' as has been suggested. The reality of his situation is that he has not had any time to grow his game out of the spotlight. His development has been necessarily back to front because we needed him in 2016 (and it was remarkable that he could front up each week despite being so far out of his weight division). He'd certainly earned the right to play each game in 2017 and generally acquitted himself well as a second year player.

He hasn't been influencing games in the way we would assume that he would based on his first two years but some of the names on that list above have played a handful of AFL standard games, and it was starting this year.

Cornes' reaction is a knee-jerk reaction to a player getting dropped which is just not a big deal. I don't really care that Parish was dropped but I have to concede that on a very limited sample Cornes may be closer to having reached the right conclusion than we'd assume, even though he's got there for the wrong reasons. It will be very interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.

He makes top 5 of that bunch. Rioli, Gresham and Dunkley? Lol

No way I'm taking him over Oliver, Curnow, Hipwood, Mills, Burton, Hopper given exposed form and potential. So not sure how he makes top 5 in your mind.

As for the three you mentioned... Despite playing mostly forward at the moment Dunkley has been better then Parish this year 100%. Gresham's been looking very strong this year too (not to mention he kicked 30 last year), have no doubt in a better team he'd be kicking closer to 2 a week, alternatively they could easily move him up the ground and have him win more ball on a wing.

Dunkley v Parish v Gresham 2018 averages:
D: 16 v 19 v 16
M: 5 v 3 v 3
T: 5 v 4 v 2
Goals: 1 v 0 v 1

Parish isn't "clearly" better then any of these guys - an argument can be made he should be ahead, fine. But given we took Parish at pick 5 that isn't good enough.

Cornes' reaction is a knee-jerk reaction to a player getting dropped which is just not a big deal. I don't really care that Parish was dropped but I have to concede that on a very limited sample Cornes may be closer to having reached the right conclusion than we'd assume, even though he's got there for the wrong reasons. It will be very interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.

“The 2015 draft for the Bombers is shaping to be a disaster,”
“They had two picks inside the top 10 – pick five with Darcy Parish who just lost his place in the side.
“He doesn’t look like the modern footballer.
“Number six was Aaron Francis who we know has had his issues.
“When you have those two draft picks in one year, you have to nail it and the Bombers haven’t.”

None of the statements Cornes said are untrue as of right now. Maybe that's why we're all disagreeing with what he said? We don't want to accept that this is the current state of the 2015 draft until proven otherwise?

“The 2015 draft for the Bombers is shaping to be a disaster,”
“They had two picks inside the top 10 – pick five with Darcy Parish who just lost his place in the side.
“He doesn’t look like the modern footballer.
“Number six was Aaron Francis who we know has had his issues.
“When you have those two draft picks in one year, you have to nail it and the Bombers haven’t.”

None of the statements Cornes said are untrue as of right now. Maybe that's why we're all disagreeing with what he said? We don't want to accept that this is the current state of the 2015 draft until proven otherwise?

Well yeah, lets see what happens in the second half of the year. I'm predicting that both Francis and Redman put themselves firmly in contention for spots in that top 15 list.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back