Player Watch #3: Dion Prestia Re-Signed for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate to say it but he shouldn't have his contract renewed. He's 31, he's not getting anymore elastic and the amount of scar tissue he would have isn't getting any better. Even when he doesn't have hamstring issues, it's his ankle that screws him over.

Love Dion & his contribution to RFC , not looking good for him. Still believe retirement is his call if it’s coming. I’m a bit old school in that regard. We give him every opportunity to get fit etc , but we also need to give the young guys (if ready) an opportunity/exposure to senior level…

Love Dion & his contribution to RFC , not looking good for him. Still believe retirement is his call if it’s coming. I’m a bit old school in that regard. We give him every opportunity to get fit etc , but we also need to give the young guys (if ready) an opportunity/exposure to senior level…
Dimma, Mini & Yze all selecting TT, JH, Dion, week in week out. The mix looked OK 2nd half of Suns game and Dow was OK once Dion went off.

I know nada about fitness but why not rest a 31 year old with injury history? Anyhow like you say, it opens the door to Sonsie Kmac II

Sad to see another soft tissue injury and now feels the cliff is coming pretty soon for prestia. Unlike other years though I don’t think his absence will have a huge impact as we have sonsie and mcauliffe who I reckon will match his output pretty closely given where he is at in his career

Sad to see another soft tissue injury and now feels the cliff is coming pretty soon for prestia. Unlike other years though I don’t think his absence will have a huge impact as we have sonsie and mcauliffe who I reckon will match his output pretty closely given where he is at in his career
Genuinely feel like we'd get a boost in performance playing mcauliffe, exactly the type of aggressive burst mid we're lacking in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he plays as the sub more often now, and provides impact later in games. That way a younger player can start, too.

Maybe he plays as the sub more often now, and provides impact later in games. That way a younger player can start, too.
Wouldn’t even bother with the sub for him
Last thing we need is subbing him in at half time and him blowing another hammy 5 mins after leaving us a rotation down

Don’t know if the juice is worth the squeeze anymore for meatball

They will have to take time and bring Dion back via the VFL to ensure he can actually play.

Gives someone else a spot to play. So I guess forces the transition to the future.

They will have to take time and bring Dion back via the VFL to ensure he can actually play.

Gives someone else a spot to play. So I guess forces the transition to the future.
We already know with years of evidence that he cannot play full seasons.
At his age and ability he's far too much of a liability. We bring him back I guarantee you within 5 games he's subbed off with an injury.

As much as he's been a flag hero, his body has failed him. What benefit to we have of playing him ahead of a Sonise, McAullife, Dow, Ross type?

cooked - needs to spend some good time in VFL on return create some trust in his body again.

you could argue it cost us the game last night

love the guy and appreciate his contribution to the club but an aging body is something we all have to deal with at some stage
he'd had 7 disposals before injury in Q1, we'd kicked 5 goals. I thought Dow and the rest of the mids worked OK in his abscence.

Cost us the game?

That'd be Mansell wouldn't it? or Kmac, Balta, etc

He’d still get injured and we’d be down a player. It’s over for him. If they want him in the side don’t play him off short breaks. It’s the only way he continues. Play 12 games max. But a player on his coin I don’t see how it goes on beyond this year.

He’d still get injured and we’d be down a player. It’s over for him. If they want him in the side don’t play him off short breaks. It’s the only way he continues. Play 12 games max. But a player on his coin I don’t see how it goes on beyond this year.
He’s been phenomenal for us but agree.
His legs are made of crepe paper.
Can’t rely on him anymore.

Grimes, Prestia, Broad, Pickett and Kmac will be playing their last year with us.

We will look very different next year.

he'd had 7 disposals before injury in Q1, we'd kicked 5 goals. I thought Dow and the rest of the mids worked OK in his abscence.

Cost us the game?

That'd be Mansell wouldn't it? or Kmac, Balta, etc
could throw a blanket over everything that cost us - but it certainly played a role! you cannot say his body has become reliable enough to play a full game anymore

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #3: Dion Prestia Re-Signed for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back