Traded #3: Scott Gumbleton - Traded to Fremantle for pick 55

Remove this Banner Ad

He spent a bit of time in the ruck during the U18 champs and looked very good. A natural.

Rucked briefly in the forward line last season against West Coast and won 3 of 4 ruck duals with NicNat.

I think the club should stay open to this idea because if Hille or Ryder get injured Gumbleton could be pretty useful in the ruck but for now it's best to focus on getting the most out of the Hille and Ryder combination while developing Bellchambers and Jenkins as ruckmen in the VFL.

There's no argument re: durability. I do remember Ryder injuring his knee playing in the ruck in 2009 though, albeit with the absence of support from Hille for most of the year. I'm hoping we don't see one of those again anytime soon. Perhaps right though. Gumby's had more than one.
There is hope though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Salmon
On Salmon
"Despite leading the goalkicking, half way through the season a serious knee injury which required a full reconstruction left him sidelined for over a year, he recovered to kick 6 goals 4 behinds in the '85 premiership side."

So basically what you want to do is physically cripple and internally impale Gumby? Sounds great!

If Gumby is struggling to get into games I would have no qualms with him playing a roaming role and taking boundary throw ins. He has already shown that he knows how to position himself in ruck contests and in the U18 champs he was good at pushing back into defence and helping out the backmen. Hille or Ryder could take the centre ballups and then push forward.

If Gumby is struggling to get into games I would have no qualms with him playing a roaming role and taking boundary throw ins. He has already shown that he knows how to position himself in ruck contests and in the U18 champs he was good at pushing back into defence and helping out the backmen. Hille or Ryder could take the centre ballups and then push forward.

His skeletal composition wouldn't support such showdowns as of yet, well, I at least would be against risking it. Our Gumby is very delicate, he should be cocooned in bubble wrap until he's 25.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure - he can take the odd ruck contest when in the forward line - but thats it, theres 4 othe guys in front of him for that number 1 ruck role (Hille, Ryder, Belly, Jenkins)

Pinch hitting, no worries at all, because he's bloody good at it, but like everyone else, I worry about his durability for a year there.

Hypothetically, if Hille gets injured, and Carlisle is showing better form than Bellchambers in the 2s, I'd prefer Carlisle comes in and Gumby rucks for the game.

Nah, I prefer Gumby at CHF, when Hille is on the verge of retirement, Ryder will (hopefully) have achieved his potential and be in his prime, and will have J. Daniher or T-Bell as support

Pinch hitting, no worries at all, because he's bloody good at it, but like everyone else, I worry about his durability for a year there.

Hypothetically, if Hille gets injured, and Carlisle is showing better form than Bellchambers in the 2s, I'd prefer Carlisle comes in and Gumby rucks for the game.
Do you rate Carlisle a better foward than Gumby and Gumby a better ruck than Gumby?
You wouldn't have Ryder ruck for the game and Gumby pinch hit the ruck duties in the forward fifty? ...or you see Ryder more valuable elsewhere.

It's more a comparison between TBC and Carlisle. If TBC is in better form, then Gumby can stay forward.

Gumby's more than capable in both positions, so we don't lose out playing him in either spot. Therefore, we should pick the best forward or the best ruck and let Gumby fill the other spot.

There are so many options, Hurley and Pears back with Hooker pinch hitting, that leaves Gumby / Ryder forward.

Have been saying for a while that he could very well be used as the second ruck man. The way the talk is going with the new sub it looks like sides will not be looking at two lumbering rucks so unless Bellchambers finds a couple of yards and can increase his possession rate to above 15 a game then he is not likely to be looked at at this stage.

And to all those saying what if he gets injured, well what if he does ? as last year showed you can just as easily get injured at CHF with people jumping into your back. This will be his 5th season and we can not keep wrapping him in cotton wool for much longer or he becomes a list clogger!

There is no reason at all for him not being considered to do a bot of the chop out work around the ground and to be blunt he has to actually do something other than play 15 ok games this year to prove he will actually live up to his potential !

And to all those saying what if he gets injured, well what if he does ? as last year showed you can just as easily get injured at CHF with people jumping into your back. This will be his 5th season and we can not keep wrapping him in cotton wool for much longer or he becomes a list clogger!

This is exactly what I was going to say. I can't believe all this talk about him being so brittle and frail and how we have to protect him.

Seriously, If his body is not up to it he shouldn't be playing. Simple as that.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I can't believe all this talk about him being so brittle and frail and how we have to protect him.

Seriously, If his body is not up to it he shouldn't be playing. Simple as that.
I agree that he could be used to pinch hit in the ruck, but that last comment's not entirely true.

People like Dean Rioli needed to be nurtured due to his shoddy body, and it was worth it with his effect on games.

If Gumby turns it on like he almost certain could, yet we can only manage 15 games a year out of him, you'd be silly not to accommodate him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #3: Scott Gumbleton - Traded to Fremantle for pick 55

Remove this Banner Ad

Back