3 way deal (Eagles, Swans, Lions)

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast will be doing a merry dance tonight.

In essence:

Pick 22 + Dalziell for Staker + Seaby.

Seaby + Staker together do not equal pick 22. Let alone the fact they get a 22 year old ball magnet from Brisbane

Brisbane get Staker + Buchanan for Dalziell, 28 + 39. Not convinced about that, although they do need a small forward.

Sydney get Seaby, 28, 39 for 22 + Buchanan. Not convinced about that either. Seaby is not much and they have had to downgrade their 2nd round pick.

West Coast clear winners out of this. They probably would've delisted both Staker and Seaby. To get a good pick and a good player is a great effort.

Brisbane obviously not rating this draft highly.

Note: Just realised trade tracker may be wrong.

West Coast will be doing a merry dance tonight.

In essence:

Pick 22 + Dalziell for Staker + Seaby.

Seaby + Staker together do not equal pick 22. Let alone the fact they get a 22 year old ball magnet from Brisbane

Brisbane get Staker + Buchanan for Dalziell, 28 + 39. Not convinced about that, although they do need a small forward.

Sydney get Seaby, 28, 39 for 22 + Buchanan. Not convinced about that either. Seaby is not much and they have had to downgrade their 2nd round pick.

West Coast clear winners out of this. They probably would've delisted both Staker and Seaby. To get a good pick and a good player is a great effort.

Brisbane obviously not rating this draft highly.

So Brissy and Sydney get half of pick 39 each ?

Brisbane must think they're close to a flag the way they're topping up so much. They'll certainly be a bit stronger across the board next year with all these ready made players plus their 2 injured ruckmen back.

Swans should be pretty happy too to get Seaby at this price, with Jolly probably out the door they could've been completely exposed.

All clubs should be pretty happy but Eagles have done best for mine - Dalziell's an absolute ball magnet, has plenty of upside, plus pick 22 to boot for 2 fringe players and #39.

Brisbane must think they're close to a flag the way they're topping up so much. They'll certainly be a bit stronger across the board next year with all these ready made players plus their 2 injured ruckmen back.

Swans should be pretty happy too to get Seaby at this price, with Jolly probably out the door they could've been completely exposed.

All clubs should be pretty happy but Eagles have done best for mine - Dalziell's an absolute ball magnet, has plenty of upside, plus pick 22 to boot for 2 fringe players and #39.
he may get it but his disposal is s-house...we have plenty who are ahead of him in the pecking order who can use it

He will surprise you I think.

Staker is okay (at best) but Seaby is a 1st degree crab. Yet to show anything at AFL level and frequently pantsed in the WAFL. There was a bloody good reason why a very raw Nic Nat got picked ahead of them, and it had nothing to do with "playing the kids".

West Coast did very, very well in that deal.

Staker is okay (at best) but Seaby is a 1st degree crab. Yet to show anything at AFL level and frequently pantsed in the WAFL. There was a bloody good reason why a very raw Nic Nat got picked ahead of them, and it had nothing to do with "playing the kids".

West Coast did very, very well in that deal.
I agree that WCE did well on the deal, but don't agree on Seaby.

You have a short memory, Seaby has shown enough at AFL level. He's certainly competant as a ruckman. I have also suspected for some time that he has stagnated at WCE because he's been playing out of the shadow of the best ruckman in the comp.

He will do better elsewhere IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So now that it's confirmed that pick 39 should be with the lions, what's the general view of the trade? who won? who lost?

WCE
GAIN: Dalziell, pick 22
LOSE: Seaby, pick 39

SYD
GAIN: Seaby, pick 28
LOSE: Buchanan, pick 22

BRIS
GAIN: Buchanan, Staker, pick 39
LOSE: Dalziell, pick 28

So now that it's confirmed that pick 39 should be with the lions, what's the general view of the trade? who won? who lost?

We'll know in about 10 years time ;)

All of picks 22, 28 and 39 could be superstars or complete duds. Staker and Buchanan could be St.Kilda-style success stories or one of the biggest trade blunders of all time. Seaby could emerge as a great ruckman or continue to only be serviceable. Dalziell could be an integral member of a premiership side or be running around in the WAFL in five years time.

At this stage each party has received a fair deal in their eyes and that's all that matters.

WCE
GAIN: Dalziell, pick 22
LOSE: Seaby, pick 39

SYD
GAIN: Seaby, pick 28
LOSE: Buchanan, pick 22

BRIS
GAIN: Buchanan, Staker, pick 39
LOSE: Dalziell, pick 28

Well we certainly didn't.

What really gets my goat is all the West Coast supporters patronising everyone on how good Seaby and Staker will be for their respective clubs, when if you go to their board, they're laughing like they've made out like bandits - which they have.

All of Seaby's career highs (!) were between 2005-2007 and even then they were absolutely average. He's rarely even got in their best players let alone influenced a game. Nice guy - sure, but stop the patronising like he's going to be great for us - it's just BS.

Well we certainly didn't.

What really gets my goat is all the West Coast supporters patronising everyone on how good Seaby and Staker will be for their respective clubs, when if you go to their board, they're laughing like they've made out like bandits - which they have.
I'm not going to talk these guys up, but I don't reckon we fleeced Sydney and Brisbane.

Had we managed to hang onto pick 39, we'd be laughing, but giving that up just means that it's a good deal. Happy to have moved on Seaby and Staker in one hit, while adding to our young midfield and getting another second-rounder. But you could make the case that's it's win-win-win.

Sydney get a ruckman they need. Seaby will be best 22 for them. And all it cost them was a downgrade from 22 to 28 and a 27-year-old player who has been struggling, in Buchanan. He needed to be moved on.

And Brisbane managed to top up with two players by downgrading pick 28 to pick 39 and losing Dalziell, who they were probably resigned to losing. Voss obviously rates Staker, and wants to use Buchanan to add another dimension to their forwardline.

I think a lot of the perception that West Coast are the big winners comes from a Dream Team view of Dalziell. People have seen his stats, but he's only played 15 games. It's not like he's a ready-made gun.

That said, I'm happy with West Coast's result, but I don't think it was an almighty shafting.

I'm not going to talk these guys up, but I don't reckon we fleeced Sydney and Brisbane.

Had we managed to hang onto pick 39, we'd be laughing, but giving that up just means that it's a good deal. Happy to have moved on Seaby and Staker in one hit, while adding to our young midfield and getting another second-rounder. But you could make the case that's it's win-win-win.

Sydney get a ruckman they need. Seaby will be best 22 for them. And all it cost them was a downgrade from 22 to 28 and a 27-year-old player who has been struggling, in Buchanan. He needed to be moved on.

And Brisbane managed to top up with two players by downgrading pick 28 to pick 39 and losing Dalziell, who they were probably resigned to losing. Voss obviously rates Staker, and wants to use Buchanan to add another dimension to their forwardline.

I think a lot of the perception that West Coast are the big winners comes from a Dream Team view of Dalziell. People have seen his stats, but he's only played 15 games. It's not like he's a ready-made gun.

That said, I'm happy with West Coast's result, but I don't think it was an almighty shafting.

There you go again - you just can't help it. :rolleyes:

You guys made out like bandits and you absolutely know it. Bandits, I say! If Seaby ever gets a Brownlow vote in his career, I'd be amazed. In fact, I'll be amazed if he even gets in our top 3 players in a single match for the rest of his career and you know it.

You guys made out like bandits and you absolutely know it. Bandits, I say! If Seaby ever gets a Brownlow vote in his career, I'd be amazed. In fact, I'll be amazed if he even gets in our top 3 players in a single match for the rest of his career and you know it.
You can't just keep repeating yourself as though that advances your argument.

I'm not saying Seaby is better than he is. He's nothing special and we were right to move him on. But he'll be your #1 ruckman, and how much did you actually give up to get him?

Buchanan and downgrading pick 22 to 28?

For a guy who will walk straight into your best 22. What are you whinging about?

For a guy who will walk straight into your best 22. What are you whinging about?

That's not a given. Roos has already stated that even with Seaby, we're going to need a replacement for Jolly. Seaby is not a No.1 ruckman. Never was, never will be.

Look I wish him the best and hope for the best, but f*** me really. Seriously Gunnar, let me stew in my soup of discontent. Yours glumly. :(

That's not a given. Roos has already stated that even with Seaby, we're going to need a replacement for Jolly. Seaby is not a No.1 ruckman. Never was, never will be.
Yes, he will be - at the Swans next year.

You're not going to get a like-for-like replacement for Jolly. Forget about that.

More likely, you'll get Shane Mumford. Apparently you've already offered him a three-year deal.

So, like I said, Seaby will walk into your best 22, and you didn't give up a whole lot to get him.

Remove this Banner Ad

3 way deal (Eagles, Swans, Lions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back