30% of Forward Entries to Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

CrowCro

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2010
Underdale
AFL Club
Adelaide
I heard a stat last week that approx 30% of iur forward entries have been directed to Brett Burton, I bleive it was Malcolm Blight whho bought it up on 5AA.

He stated that this is approximately the amount of ball that was directed to Fevola when he was at Carlton. He stated this was a very high amount for one player. The negative is that our return from Burton is very small.

My observation is that we tend to go to Tippett and Burton heavily with high bombs and are relying on spectacular marks or contested marks to get our goals. I have noticed we get very few cheap goals and have to work very hard to get any at all. This has always been the case even in past years- just that our players were in better form. Knights was the only one getting cheap goals last year by kicking over the contest and Porps due to sheer briliance. we get few goals off the back of the pack etc.

We need to play lead up players like Walker. But we need to be instructed to kick to these options. Its is all too easy to just take a bomb and hope for a big mark. Take the risk and try to hit a lead up player.

Tippett and Burton are also strugling this year with following up their play once they dont take the mak due to the pressure thay are under. Watch carefully but Burton and Tippett very rarely keep their feet when going for a mark, thus when they dont take it the ball is run out of defence very easily.

yes, we need to try to hit targets inside 50... and not just bomb and hope.
the game before last week, it seemed Burton was getting more than 30% of our inside 50 entries (the game when he kicked 1 goal, 1 point, 1 poster, 1 out of bounds, 1 not even making the distance).

It was Leigh Matthews who gave those stats and stated that the only close to those percentages was Fev at Carlton and his view was if team gives you that sort of percentage then you should be getting 5-6 goals to make it worth it.
I agree with elite crow and relapse this ridicolous love for Burton by Craigy is absurd and wrecking any structure in our forward line and reducing one of the real future stars of game to average and keeping another true forward of potential at Norwood.
Scares me that another love child Jacky might be fit next week and will be in team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't recall anyting to party about in 2004 :p

That was the point. :p

Burton as a focal point up forward, injuries, playing shit.........ah how I've missed you struggle street.

Yeah, maybe not so much.

I don’t think it’s entirely Neil Craig’s doing. Yeah, he sets up the game plan and the forward structures and identifies areas he wants the players to kick the ball to but the players on the field have to actually kick it to him. They are the decision makers.

I think it’s a senior leadership thing. We don’t know what goes on within the inner sanctum of the clubs but i get the feeling the senior player put way to much personal pressure on the younger guys to kick it to them and they only use it between themselves.

I remember a few years ago, the year after Adam Cooney was drafted to the Western Bulldogs he said something along the lines of how the senior players on kick the ball to each other and never attempt to get the younger player in the game. That was the year under Peter Rhoad and they had a woeful year. I feel there are similarities between them and us and the older more senior players are not using the younger player as they know there potential and are doing this to try and slow there development down. This will give the senior guys a few more games if not an extra year.

If they keep kicking (ha ha yeah i know) the ball to each other and keep building that stat line – they will look good. Tyson Edwards got 21 touches last week, so he must have played well.

It's a bit vague. Is it over the season (in which case it could be actually flattering, as Burton's missed a game)?
Is it while Burton's been in the side? If so, I have my doubts still, as I was at the Sydney game, and my observation was that he certainly didn't have that much of the ball directed to him, and he spent a bit of the game on the pine as it was his first game back. And we'd only be working with a 3 game sample (discounting the bulldogs game, as the stat was quoted before this).

I could possibly agree if it were just the Melbourne and Carlton games. Though, just from general observation (which I know isn't as reliable as champion data stats), I recall how Fevola centric Carlton were and how that looked, and I find it hard to believe Burton's getting the same amount of the ball sent his way.

Unfortunately I think that this 30% of forward entries directed to Burton is credible. and even worse, I agree with the old boys' club theory. Last week, Davis was the player who was able to find some space, yet I think it was Doughty, who, rather than kick forward to Davis turned backwards, looking to pass to an old buddy. The senior players have a responsibility to the whole team and especially to the really young players, to include them in the play which will help with their confidence. The step up to AFL from the SANFL is quite a big one. The new players MUST be included in the play otherwise the team is effectively one or more players down. The senior players must remember that they stuff up passes, by hand and foot, make bad decisions and get caught with the ball too.;)

It's a bit vague. Is it over the season (in which case it could be actually flattering, as Burton's missed a game)?
Is it while Burton's been in the side? If so, I have my doubts still, as I was at the Sydney game, and my observation was that he certainly didn't have that much of the ball directed to him, and he spent a bit of the game on the pine as it was his first game back. And we'd only be working with a 3 game sample (discounting the bulldogs game, as the stat was quoted before this).

I could possibly agree if it were just the Melbourne and Carlton games. Though, just from general observation (which I know isn't as reliable as champion data stats), I recall how Fevola centric Carlton were and how that looked, and I find it hard to believe Burton's getting the same amount of the ball sent his way.
:p
Hey Dandy I will take you down to CH. 7 box and you can tell Leigh that he is lying and just making up numbers to his face .
It was before Bulldogs match he gave those stats I think :p

Just proves what I have been saying to my friends that our are veterans are selfish and only look out for each other instead of helping the youngsters.

Craig went to watch Walker against Port with Goody and Burton. Surely Burton being there is a conflict of interest. Walker is in direct competition with Burton for a spot in the team, firstly Burton took Walkers role as the lead up forward and then when Walker went out Burton played further up the field, again the Walker role.

Would it be in Burton's best interest to be pumping Walker up?

Craig went to watch Walker against Port with Goody and Burton. Surely Burton being there is a conflict of interest. Walker is in direct competition with Burton for a spot in the team, firstly Burton took Walkers role as the lead up forward and then when Walker went out Burton played further up the field, again the Walker role.

Would it be in Burton's best interest to be pumping Walker up?

You cant just blame the player it is Craig that perpetuates this mentality.

So while it wouldnt be in Burton's best interests. there is also the problem that Craig is far too heavily entrenched in with the old brigade and there not being the right balance between youth and experience as far as leadership structure at the club.

Going back in January there was an interview with Craig on 5AA where Cornes and Rowe began discussing the young players and Craig briefly discussed the younger players and their development, but then said "but more importantly for our supporters I am happy to report that the form of Goody, Edwards, McLeod and Burton on the training track has been superb". To Craig guys like Walker and co are merely a side dish while our senior four are the Crows main course that in his mind still are the main focus of this club and Craig believes that the supporters feel this way as well :eek:

You cant just blame the player it is Craig that perpetuates this mentality.

So while it wouldnt be in Burton's best interests. there is also the problem that Craig is far too heavily entrenched in with the old brigade and there not being the right balance between youth and experience as far as leadership structure at the club.

Going back in January there was an interview with Craig on 5AA where Cornes and Rowe began discussing the young players and Craig briefly discussed the younger players and their development, but then said "but more importantly for our supporters I am happy to report that the form of Goody, Edwards, McLeod and Burton on the training track has been superb". To Craig guys like Walker and co are merely a side dish while our senior four are the Crows main course that in his mind still are the main focus of this club and Craig believes that the supporters feel this way as well :eek:

Walker is a side dish until he is good enough to replace Burton (same goes for Sloane, Young, Davis, Smack and everyone else).

Honestly - if you were the coach would you not be playing Burton?

Walker is a side dish until he is good enough to replace Burton (same goes for Sloane, Young, Davis, Smack and everyone else).

Seriously are you that naive to believe his ability will supersede Brett Burton spending more time in the SANFL or playing some bit part up on the wing?

Honestly, do you honestly believe that crap?

The SANFL is a very good quality competition but it can only take you so far.

If I was the coach, this week would be the line in the sand game. All tickets are used up. From this point on, anyone and I mean anyone who doesn’t perform will play SANFL. You perform, you stay in. and it would not matter if you have played 1 game or 350 games – if you don’t perform, you don’t play. Simple as that. ALL TICKETS ARE GONE.
So I would still be playing Brett Burton but not in his current role and especially not if we were 0 and 5.

Honestly - if you were coach would you not be playing Walker given the three outs from our forward line this week?

Remove this Banner Ad

30% of Forward Entries to Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back