30% of Forward Entries to Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously are you that naive to believe his ability will supersede Brett Burton spending more time in the SANFL or playing some bit part up on the wing?

Honestly, do you honestly believe that crap?

The SANFL is a very good quality competition but it can only take you so far.

If I was the coach, this week would be the line in the sand game. All tickets are used up. From this point on, anyone and I mean anyone who doesn’t perform will play SANFL. You perform, you stay in. and it would not matter if you have played 1 game or 350 games – if you don’t perform, you don’t play. Simple as that. ALL TICKETS ARE GONE.
So I would still be playing Brett Burton but not in his current role and especially not if we were 0 and 5.

based on selection decisions, at the moment Tex is behind everyone in the forward line - including Hendo. is it possible he's not as good as you all think?

based on selection decisions, at the moment Tex is behind everyone in the forward line - including Hendo. is it possible he's not as good as you all think?

So let’s play Dangerfield as a backup ruckman, watch him get flogged week after week and then we can all proclaim him to be a flog. Awesome plan, how about we play Tex as a lead up forward and allow him to develop and then see if he has it or not.

Honestly,

I would not play Burton this or any week. I would not have offered him a contract for 2010. Taking a speccie every so often doesn't make up for all the clangers and undisciplined frees that he gives away and after the speccie does he ever convert? And when he could scarcely walk at the end of that horrendous final against the Pies, there is no way I would have kept him on.

I don't see him as a team player. When he crashes packs attempting to take a ball kicked in to another forward, then I could scream. I think that Walker needs to play in the forward lines for several weeks, to become accustomed to the Crows system and figure out his place. I suspect that he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, maybe that is why Craigy doesn't seem to favour him. And I would like Craigy to stop the spin and tell us the real reason why he doesn't seem too keen on Tex. That won't happen, so I just hope that Tex really understands what he is meant to achieve at Norwood, even though I don't.

I would be surprised if less than 30% of our F50 entries go to Burton this week. Consider our forwards (we've only selected 3 of them) - Burton, Tippett and Porplyzia.

Porplyzia's form has been so bad lately that we're effectively playing with 17 men when he's on the ground. Can't see why any F50 entries would be directed his way at all. Actually, I can't see why he's been named in the team and Walker missed out - forget the Stevens saga, I'd love to hear the justification for Porplyzia's ongoing selection at present.

Tippett's going to be spending 50% of his time in the ruck, thanks to our failure to select a 2nd ruckman to support Maric.

Burton is thus our only full-time forward. It's no great surprise that he gets the bulk of the F50 entries directed his way. It also helps that he also seems to be winning the bulk of the contests when the ball is directed his way - particularly when it's hitting him on the lead (rather than the speccy leap). What he does with the ball once he's earned the free or taken the mark, now that's an entirely different question.

Burton might be the target more often as he does seem to persist with his lead more than Walker. Perhaps it is a bit more experience that enables him to get 'open' a bit more?

You are missing the point we are directing the ball to him at 30% massive high and Leigh saying 5- 6 goals a game not the b----y season.
Also if not jumping over Tippett running wide . Are you telling me that Walker cant kick 30 metres Burton hasnt made the distance from there 3- 4 times . I dont know if Walker going to be a star but will help team play direct footy and leave Tippett open and kick the b----y thing when got opportunity.

You are missing the point we are directing the ball to him at 30% massive high and Leigh saying 5- 6 goals a game not the b----y season.
Also if not jumping over Tippett running wide . Are you telling me that Walker cant kick 30 metres Burton hasnt made the distance from there 3- 4 times . I dont know if Walker going to be a star but will help team play direct footy and leave Tippett open and kick the b----y thing when got opportunity.

No, I wasn't telling you that Walker can't kick 30 metres, I was just saying that Burton *does* seem to be better at leading persistently, and leading less half-heartedly than others in the forward line.

Honestly,

I would not play Burton this or any week. I would not have offered him a contract for 2010. Taking a speccie every so often doesn't make up for all the clangers and undisciplined frees that he gives away and after the speccie does he ever convert? And when he could scarcely walk at the end of that horrendous final against the Pies, there is no way I would have kept him on.

I don't see him as a team player. When he crashes packs attempting to take a ball kicked in to another forward, then I could scream. I think that Walker needs to play in the forward lines for several weeks, to become accustomed to the Crows system and figure out his place. I suspect that he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, maybe that is why Craigy doesn't seem to favour him. And I would like Craigy to stop the spin and tell us the real reason why he doesn't seem too keen on Tex. That won't happen, so I just hope that Tex really understands what he is meant to achieve at Norwood, even though I don't.

Could not have put it any better.
Why do people think so many passionate supporters feel this guy so overated and now well and truly reached a used by date .
Do people think the reason is because of his big nose or something :rolleyes:
The guy wrecks any sort of forward co ordination and absoloutely no inclination to do any team things like chase or tackle or put someone in a better position:mad:

Burton has kicked 7.5 with a few misses this year in a dysfunctional forward line in a dysfunctional team. The idea that it is Burton that stops Tippett marking a football is so funny it is ludicrous. In his present form Tippett has difficulty taking an unopposed chest mark. Let's hope he turns that around this week and starts to gather a few possessions.
At least Burton competes hard for the ball and gets it, unlike Walker. There is far too much vitriol directed at Burton on this board and there always has been. He is very easily in the best 22 at the Adelaide football club.

No, I wasn't telling you that Walker can't kick 30 metres, I was just saying that Burton *does* seem to be better at leading persistently, and leading less half-heartedly than others in the forward line.

Whilst not wanting to have a go at you .
Point is if going to put the ball in anyones direction 30% of time the have to get results apart from missed goals etc when got the ball think of all the times he didnt get in those percentages about the turnovers

Walker is a side dish until he is good enough to replace Burton (same goes for Sloane, Young, Davis, Smack and everyone else).

Honestly - if you were the coach would you not be playing Burton?

That is outdated methodology especially when those players are on the slide. Coaches now have to be smarter than that, the days of fishing lower on the table and playing for wins is passé. It’s now about either trying to win a flag or building towards winning one, the days of having a middle of the road team and just playing out for wins with a stagnant squad are long gone.

Considering where we are presently with injuries Burton would still play, but I wouldn’t be playing Burton in positions where it is putting our development on the back burner. Since Burton’s return to the side Tippett has fallen off the radar and we are now back to playing Walker out of position or just chucking him back in the SANFL. This should be Burton’s last year (I would have gotten rid of him last year), he was brought in to compliment our forward structure from last year that was working quite soundly in his absence. All I have seen this year is Burton being thrust back to his old role of being our main go to forward and our forward line structure has gone backwards this season.

As a coach you can’t just keep serving up the same dish once it has gotten stale, you need to be better than that and there can be no success without change. It’s fools belief to think we can develop a side to win a premiership in the next few years by unnecessarily keeping players in the SANFL for extended periods of time while continuing to over rely on senior players who are past their prime.

Craig has a real opportunity to redeem himself this year and take the next step forward in his development as a senior coach. The way in which he tackles our list in the second half of this season will go a long way to deciding whether or not he has a future as our coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst not wanting to have a go at you .
Point is if going to put the ball in anyones direction 30% of time the have to get results apart from missed goals etc when got the ball think of all the times he didnt get in those percentages about the turnovers

I wasn't saying we *should* be kicking to Burton all of the team, just suggesting a reason why we might. He just demands the ball more.

B The idea that it is Burton that stops Tippett marking a football is so funny it is ludicrous. In his present form Tippett has difficulty taking an unopposed chest mark. Let's hope he turns that around this week and starts to gather a few possessions

Tippett showed some good signs last week. Maybe this week he explodes? (Not literally - that would be taking the injury curse too far!).

Burton has kicked 7.5 with a few misses this year in a dysfunctional forward line in a dysfunctional team. The idea that it is Burton that stops Tippett marking a football is so funny it is ludicrous. In his present form Tippett has difficulty taking an unopposed chest mark. Let's hope he turns that around this week and starts to gather a few possessions.
At least Burton competes hard for the ball and gets it, unlike Walker. There is far too much vitriol directed at Burton on this board and there always has been. He is very easily in the best 22 at the Adelaide football club.

There has been vitriol directed at Burton for a long period of time because it is warranted. People have forgotten the reasons why he plays so close to goal. When he was playing on the wing it was pretty obvious that he doesnt have much of a football brain and was close to our worst decisions maker. McDermott even wrote an article a few years ago where he said that Brett needs to play at full forward where his brain fades and poor decision making hurt the side the least.

I really dont know where this recent idea has come from that Burton is supposedly to be considered an elite player of the competition. He is nowhere near the class of our elite players and I think that Craig massively overrates him because of his athletic ability, but we cant take advantage of that engine because of his lack of a footy brain.

Honestly,

I dunno about the "sharpest tool in the shed" line, but the rest is right on the money.

I totally agree with Burton being selfish, most probably one of the most selfish players to ever wear an AFC jumper. I still cannot even grasp the idea that he has leadership skills, honestly to me the idea of Burton being a "leader" is a massive oxymoron.

This--probably--unfortunately.

Not as good as we think? Perhaps that's more a reflection of the idolisation of some people on this board rather than on Walker's ability.

Tex is 19 for goodness sake, he's entitled to some inconsistency and poor form.

If he's underperforming in 3 years, then we should doubting talent/promise, not when he's 19.

Not as good as we think? Perhaps that's more a reflection of the idolisation of some people on this board rather than on Walker's ability.

Tex is 19 for goodness sake, he's entitled to some inconsistency and poor form.

If he's underperforming in 3 years, then we should doubting talent/promise, not when he's 19.

Good post.

Have you actually put any thought into what makes our forward line dysfunctional? Or are you one of these people that is happy to just keep going the way we are and hope for a miracle?:rolleyes:

I would be surprised if less than 30% of our F50 entries go to Burton this week. Consider our forwards (we've only selected 3 of them) - Burton, Tippett and Porplyzia.

Porplyzia's form has been so bad lately that we're effectively playing with 17 men when he's on the ground. Can't see why any F50 entries would be directed his way at all. Actually, I can't see why he's been named in the team and Walker missed out - forget the Stevens saga, I'd love to hear the justification for Porplyzia's ongoing selection at present.

Tippett's going to be spending 50% of his time in the ruck, thanks to our failure to select a 2nd ruckman to support Maric.

Burton is thus our only full-time forward. It's no great surprise that he gets the bulk of the F50 entries directed his way. It also helps that he also seems to be winning the bulk of the contests when the ball is directed his way - particularly when it's hitting him on the lead (rather than the speccy leap). What he does with the ball once he's earned the free or taken the mark, now that's an entirely different question.

Craig said he was going to play underdone players to get them up to speed, but when do we say enough is enough and they are no longer underdone but out of form?

Is it his ruck work in the forward line or his run off HBF that leads you to this conclusion?

Nothing to do with whatever position he is playing. My perception is that he is unwilling to put his body on the line. As has been pointed out, he is only a kid and maybe will turn this around. I'm not sure it is something that can be taught or learned.

Craig said he was going to play underdone players to get them up to speed, but when do we say enough is enough and they are no longer underdone but out of form?
In Porps' case, my patience is getting thin. We have Walker running around in the SANFL - who IS match fit and not carrying any known injury, and who kicked a bag of goals in the one game where he was given an opportunity to do so. On the other hand, we have Porplyzia who keeps getting selected but is effectively leaving the team a man down because he's just so far off the pace. Why not select Walker in the AFL team and let Porps gain some form in the SANFL?

I think Porps will continue to be "underdone" for a long time to come. Lets not forget that he missed not just the MMC, but pretty much the entire pre-season due to his hip/pelvis issues. He's coming from a looong way back behind the 8-ball and he's not exactly renowned for being the fittest player on our list to begin with.

Have you actually put any thought into what makes our forward line dysfunctional? Or are you one of these people that is happy to just keep going the way we are and hope for a miracle?:rolleyes:

Statistics don't tell the entire story, but a check of comparative stats between Walker and Burton may lead you to the conclusion about why Burton is playing and not Walker:
Burton 62 disposals 8 clangers 11 tackles 70.97 efficiency 4 frees against 6 frees for.
Walker 50 disposals 5 clangers 10 tackles 58 % efficiency 3 frees against 2 frees for.

Walker and Burton are both getting a tad over 12 disposals per game. There is a marked difference in efficiency.

If you look further and check out Tippett and Porps you find
Tippett 38 disposals 11 clangers 4 tackles efficiency 44.74% 5 frees against 4 frees for.
Porps 50 disposals 7 clangers 16 tackles 58% efficiency 2 frees against 3 frees for.

If Tippett wasn't needed as a backup ruckman, there would be a strong argument for dropping him, not Burton, in favour of Walker or McKernan. Just over 7 disposals per game is passenger status and the efficiency rating below what is acceptable for an AFL footballer.

Burton's stats might help quell some of the irrational hysteria on this thread about him being a blundering idiot who charges around the forward line getting in everyone's way, giving away free kicks constantly, having brain fades, missing targets and being unwilling to chase or tackle. No coach, whatever you may think of Craig, would pick such a player. Get real!

This bloke has played for our club for more than a decade and been a first choice player by three coaches. I guess they know nothing. He has always been one of the whipping boys on here, but since the lamented Rob Shirley departed, he's copping more.

Find another target. At present there are plenty more in our side doing less than this bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

30% of Forward Entries to Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back