Strategy Crows 2023 Forwards vs 2017 Forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm very much alone on this board but I am confident the talent we have in the squad now far exceeds the young squad that eventually played off in a grandy in 2017. The forward talent is about on par since the 2017 forward line is bloody talented. The mids have tonnes of potential. If they put it together its going to be a supreme group.
Too early to tell yet which young players will make it or not & to what level.

I see McAdam being closer to McGovern (resemblance with the pack marks and the chasing and tackling pressure).

Lynch is someone who we’ve yet to properly emulate. Fog might be the guy if his fitness further improves, and he can then spend more time in the midfield.
you right mcadam is mcgovern
thilthorpe is lynch
there is no JJ

the others are self explanatory

Just going through the likely starting forwards:
  • Tex
  • Fog
  • Thilthorpe
  • Rankine
  • Rachele
  • McAdam

Might be a top 4 in the AFL best forwards category in 2023?

Just going through the likely starting forwards:
  • Tex
  • Fog
  • Thilthorpe
  • Rankine
  • Rachele
  • McAdam

Might be a top 4 in the AFL best forwards category in 2023?

Assuming quick ball movement, then yes.

If we pull out our loss-minimisation game plan, then as a collective they would would be a fair way off it.

Richmond’s forward line would go ok
Martin
Bolton
Reiwolt
Lynch

Also Carlton
McKay
Curnow
Durdin
Martin

Brisbane
Daniher
Hipwood
Cameron
Bailey
Zorko

Would say are better
Ours should be better than Carltons now.
Would argue Richmond's is a fading force.

Brisbane for now is ahead unless/until the likes of TT, Fogarty, Rankine, Rachele reach their peak.

Ours should be better than Carltons now.
Would argue Richmond's is a fading force.

Brisbane for now is ahead unless/until the likes of TT, Fogarty, Rankine, Rachele reach their peak.
You'd have to have Geelong in there too.

Hawkins
Cameron - the best player in the league atm
Stengle
Close
Danger when he rotates through there

The 1 thing was can say with 100% certainty is we have heavily invested in this group in the rebuild.

The Locks
Fog Pick 12
Rankine Pick 3 (cost us pick 5 + steak knives)
Thilthorpe Pick 2
Rachele Pick 6

The Next
Pedlar Pick 9
Cook Pick 25
McHenry Pick 16

If this forward line doesn't come on it wont be due to a lack of draft emphasis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 1 thing was can say with 100% certainty is we have heavily invested in this group in the rebuild.

The Locks
Fog Pick 12
Rankine Pick 3 (cost us pick 5 + steak knives)
Thilthorpe Pick 2
Rachele Pick 6

The Next
Pedlar Pick 9
Cook Pick 25
McHenry Pick 16

If this forward line doesn't come on it wont be due to a lack of draft emphasis
And Tyler Welsh next year likely another first rounder.

I think the game style of the 2017 forward line was our biggest weakness in the end

Lots of guys that looked good when the ball movement was perfect and we could get it over the back in space

Not so good at winning contests like finals are

Guys like Tom Lynch - a great player in minor round , superb work rate and running patters but when it comes to contested finals games his game didn’t sort of stand up the same way

Unfair just to mention him as most of our forwards were the same eg Jenkins was worse

I think we got exciter by McGovern because he could actually win contests especially in the air

In the end I thought our forward line was one of our weaknesses

In my opinion ( and it’s early days ) this forward line has potential to be better and be the best line on our side

I think the game style of the 2017 forward line was our biggest weakness in the end

Lots of guys that looked good when the ball movement was perfect and we could get it over the back in space

Guys like Tom Lynch - a great player in minor round , superb work rate and running patters but when it comes to contested finals games his game didn’t sort of stand up the same way

Unfair just to mention him as most of our forwards were the same eg Jenkins was worse

I think we got exciter by McGovern because he could actually win contests especially in the air

In my opinion ( and it’s early days ) this forward line has potential to be better and be the best line on our side
I don't think the forward line was weak. The midfield was. Couldn't control field position and defend when needed to wrestle the momentum back in our favour.
Think Crouch brothers.

I think its a bit harsh on the 2017 FWD line to call it a weakness.

Scored 110 points per game, 2 goals more then any other team that year, and a average score higher then any team since, and any team in the 5 years prior with exception of the Hawthorn teams that won the threepeat.

It might not have been a contested unit, but if its primary job is converting play into scoreboard impact. It was pretty much the gold standard

Defence also has promise.

Butts, Doedee, Michalanney, Milera, Worrell, Jones, Murray, Hinge, Hamill is both highly talented and showing depth.

Butts, Doedee, Michalanney, Milera, Worrell, Jones, Murray, Hinge, Hamill is both highly talented and showing depth.
It has promise but has too many moving parts atm.

We really need to start trying to settle things down there instead of chopping and changing.

From what I can see the cream is rising to the top.
Butts, Worrell, Milera, Michalanney, Doedee, Jones and Hamill will be backed in.
I'm not sure where that leaves Murray.
Not sure about Worrell.

Missing six weeks of preseason means he likely has to start in the SANFL and wait for a spot to free up. It might mean MM gets an early go but it's more likely we play an underdone Doedee instead.

I like the defence but just don't know if the mix is right. I think we could do with a taller defender.

Also not sure on Milera in defence, would need to be harder at it and better one on one. Not saying he is soft just that in defence you want everyone to love the contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Crows 2023 Forwards vs 2017 Forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back