Player Watch #30 Tom Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Van Rooyen was very good today. Better than TB has ever played, in a much harder position.

I'd still be taking JVR if I had the choice.
You guys are all going to drive yourselves insane if you keep going back to an ancient draft night each time Van Rooyen plays a good/bad game.

Thank God he didn't get the job.
I was initially hoping he would but now I'm really liking Yze, love the way he has kept things together what with all our injuries and after 2 big losses has got the team back on the right foot, love that he is very different to Dimma in the after game pressers, I doubt he will ever make the mistake of stating we hate playing at a certain venue, that's still biting Dimma on the arse.

I was initially hoping he would but now I'm really liking Yze, love the way he has kept things together what with all our injuries and after 2 big losses has got the team back on the right foot, love that he is very different to Dimma in the after game pressers, I doubt he will ever make the mistake of stating we hate playing at a certain venue, that's still biting Dimma on the arse.
That our youngsters are really playing good footy and developing is a terrific sign that we will be in good hands , just gotta build that core of A grade talent , harness it and that’s when we can start getting the momentum going in the right direction

Guess it depends what people determine to be a star. Personally I think the term is thrown around way too much.

Seems to depend a lot on what position players play in.

For example, if Brown were a key tall or a blatantly obvious mid who you were discussing as a potential 200 gamer, the word 'star' could and would be far more easily attached to his potential than when he's playing as a pocket/flanker in the defensive half of the ground.

Compare and contrast the 'star' hype around Gibcus, when really there are far more similarities than differences to how he and Brown have each performed so far.

Seems to depend a lot on what position players play in.

For example, if Brown were a key tall or a blatantly obvious mid who you were discussing as a potential 200 gamer, the word 'star' could and would be far more easily attached to his potential than when he's playing as a pocket/flanker in the defensive half of the ground.

Compare and contrast the 'star' hype around Gibcus, when really there are far more similarities than differences to how he and Brown have each performed so far.
That is actually a fair point, still think it gets thrown around too often and too quickly.

Van Rooyen was very good today. Better than TB has ever played, in a much harder position.

I'd still be taking JVR if I had the choice.
No thanks.
With Browns lethal foot Brown can make Vickery look like Carey.

Agree. Brown the better athlete but JVR looks like a serious old school type of forward. Has good hands, reads the play well and a nice kick. Is slow off the mark though. Not a wasted pick by the Tigers taking Brown but JVR would have filled a bigger need
JVR is not our type of KPF.
Your either a giant like Lynch/Richo
or
Smart & mobile like Jack

I still shake my head as to why he stayed in the VFL for so long, Dimma never gave him chance & Mini only played him in the last game he coached.
Because he was injured the most part last year

Not most of last year, early on but he was in the twos for ages without getting a shot.
He failed to make an AFL debut in 2022, playing instead with the club's reserves side in the VFL. Brown spent the early months of the 2023 season sidelined by a wrist fracture. He returned to football with 10 matches at VFL level, before being called up to make his AFL debut in the final round of the season.

10 vfl and 1 afl.Thats half the season on the sidelines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He failed to make an AFL debut in 2022, playing instead with the club's reserves side in the VFL. Brown spent the early months of the 2023 season sidelined by a wrist fracture. He returned to football with 10 matches at VFL level, before being called up to make his AFL debut in the final round of the season.

10 vfl and 1 afl.Thats half the season on the sidelines.

True but in fairness he hit the ground running and was impressive from his first game back. Its ancient history now, but felt at the time he couldve come in for 4-5 games

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #30 Tom Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Back