AFLW Rd 1 West Coast vs Richmond, 30/08 9:15 Vic Time.

Remove this Banner Ad

yep perfectly summed up everything I've been thinking

Greiser is a big problem as is Reid and Jones, they don't get much of the ball, contested marking nonexistent, not the least bit quick, don't know what the answer is, they all can't play out of the goal square
Greiser was a poor replacement for Wakefield.
Never seems to play angry or on the edge.
Real disappointment

The other thing is that we seem to be trading in dead set battlers ,,,look what hawthorn and even saints bought in and I haven’t mentioned ess yet . I’m a broken record but play the kids and get peck in the side too , she’s better than woods and several others , we are so bloody slow , all the kids we’ve drafted are quick as ,get em in
McKinnon was a good get, but there’s some Q’s on the other two. Dallaway was traded with a late pick, a more inside mid than outside so frees up a Mon or Ellie to get more outside. Is still only one season into the game so improvement with her is likely. Hicks role though I think is a very similar role to Coxy’s role. Not sure the thinking there. If anything with Sheerin and Shevlin playing higher we needed a more like for like trade in.

Bring in Isabel Bacon this week, she’s still raw but will be a very good player, she def has Nat Grider traits about her.

Wakefield was AA the year she retired, we weren’t ever likely to get someone as good as her as her immediate replacement but still it’s left a massive hole in the team

We desperately need to draft an early key forward
Unfortunately we locked onto greiser when wardlaw became available, she would have been perfect

Yep, we are too one dimensional. How many seasons now, and you could count on one hand the games we have had a decent sprinkle of chains. Would go so fair as we are the worst for chains. Now that's actually Ok if your contested game is supported by inside 50 conversions, but that is our actual Achilles heel. Desperately need some versatility in our play.
This is the problem is that we don't (or won't) change up the game style to suit the situation, at times we need to possess the ball and control the pace of the game to suit how the game is playing out, esp when there is heat in the game. We need to change from contest and move forward at all costs to a more deliberate possession and smarter build up into our forward entries.

On the weekend we were among the bottom 4 teams with the least amount of uncontested marks. It's no coincidence they all ended up in drubbings other than us. BTW GWS had the highest number of uncontested marks with 66.

ESSENDON 25 Uncontested marks lost by 43 points
RICHMOND 22 Uncontested marks lost by 1 point
CARLTON 18 Uncontested marks lost by 38 points
BULLDOGS 14 Uncontested marks lost by 63 points

Stats are not everything but IMO we lack maturity and discipline to adapt game style to game situation when needed.

Last edited:
This is the problem is that we don't (or won't) change up the game style to suit the situation, at times we need to possess the ball and control the pace of the game to suit how the game is playing out, esp when there is heat in the game. We need to change from contest and move forward at all costs to a more deliberate possession and smarter build up into our forward entries.

On the weekend we were among the bottom 4 teams with the least amount of uncontested marks. It's no coincidence they all ended up in drubbings other than us. BTW GWS had the highest number of uncontested marks with 66.

Stats are not everything but IMO we lack maturity and discipline to adapt game style to game situation when needed.
interesting i've heard it mentioned by our AFL and AFLW teams, about playing the "Richmond way"
what is, at the moment, "the Richmond way"????

kick it long down the line to a contest and win the ball every time?????
keep the game contested at all costs?????

can anyone explain the "Richmond way" as it applies in 2024
certainly not working for our AFL side

if we were playing anyone else other than WC, we would have been beaten by what Ess, Carl and Dogs lost by

interesting i've heard it mentioned by our AFL and AFLW teams, about playing the "Richmond way"

kick it long down the line to a contest and win the ball every time?????
keep the game contested at all costs?????

if we were playing anyone else other than WC, we would have been beaten by what Ess, Carl and Dogs lost by
I think it’s a glib reference to an outdated surge chaotic method of moving the football

I think it’s a glib reference to an outdated surge chaotic method of moving the football
We have an AFLW side that should have no excuses, i.e. lots of youth, a low no. of games played, so as to argue that in time we will get better at playing this way in the women’s team, whereas the men’s team this year you could argue that they did have these excuses.

It’s a strategy fraught with danger as you’re constantly burning petrol tickets and you need both the star power to pull it off and to rely heavily on efficiency around goals, if it goes wrong its easier for teams to rebound and score.

The successful teams of the last couple of years don’t rely heavily on kicking it to contested marks through the fat part of the ground. So all of Nth Melb, Crows, Cats and Lions, 2024 finalists, rd 1 had their % of contested marks at 10% or less of their overall marking stat. Our % of contested marks on Friday night went at 26.6%, the most of any team across the round.

Last edited:
Greiser gets isolated ball hits the deck and u just got to look away as it’s like a car crash in slowwwww mo . Ferg needs to make finals or he gets the chop for mine
No question it's a make or break year for Ferg.

Shevlin, not an A grader but was arguably the best of the bunch.
She played some A-grade moments though, and I like that about her as a recruit. Has been good value.

Yes, low uncontested marks are the measure of inconsistent inputs in other areas we are poor in:
  • Our run and spread for starters, when do you see our girls get out on their own compared to others.
  • Chains - we break down our own chains all too often with poor ball security.
  • Pound for pound we'd be one of the worst kicking teams. We need to build a barn at PuntRoad so the girls can start to hit the side of one. I wonder how many would be aware of the advantage side of their team mates?
  • Shepherd and block - if we need to time to hit a target, use this some more to find the time for the kicker.
The Receiver is only as good as the Sender can send.

Last edited:
It was real, it was created by players involved in a Teams programme being run at the Club. It was more a whole of Club culture than a specific style play I think, but how they played was one part of that. They had excellent buy in with the tight group we had. These ways of thinking change though, they get diluted easily, and I think that is quite reflected in how we play today - diluted in purpose.

The woman's team probably has as good an opportunity to build it right now than the men, but it is character driven - with people of enormous influence required. Not sure how we sit with that one.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was real, it was created by players involved in a Teams programme being run at the Club. It was more a whole of Club culture than a specific style play I think, but how they played was one part of that. They had excellent buy in with the tight group we had. These ways of thinking change though, they get diluted easily, and I think that is quite reflected in how we play today - diluted in purpose.

The woman's team probably has as good an opportunity to build it right now than the men, but it is character driven - with people of enormous influence required. Not sure how we sit with that one.
I think the team has good leaders
Kb Mon and a few others id think would get huge respect from young players coming into program

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Rd 1 West Coast vs Richmond, 30/08 9:15 Vic Time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back