AFL Player #31: Zach Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

this sounds like it would take too long to implement though, i’d rather invest it schemes that can get us good, and quickly.
id rather we just send them to yaco's farm at falls creek

they can cycle like decent people
Nope. Tyres get flat, chains break, brake pads get worn. Too much maintenance waste. I think they should walk, maybe in shoes fashioned out of possum skin that has been caught using snares made of interwoven strips of bark and then processed using tools made of flint.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Rids idea to go on the trip and not the clubs, the offer may have been extended to Reid for a check to see if anything can be found in his biomechanics that maybe causing the issues he's been having. Or he's had another recurrence.

For Rids I reckon his issues stem from the sprint training he did a few years ago, I can't recall the exact timing but I don't know if he's been the same since he did that work.
He may have developed some issues in his gait or Hip mobility that have caused his quad issues.

Why we aren't doing these things for all players is the question I have.
We should be getting players scanned and reviewed as soon as they get to the club, whether that is getting the scans/footage here and sent overseas for remote analysis or sending them over and it being done as part of the process of integrating them into the club. From there the program can be individualized and mapped out to build them up over the first few years of their career having all the information.
The idea that we have the people at this club who knows best practices is ignorant considering the amount of money and people with better facilities elsewhere in the world.

That just seems like best practice if you were running a club. That's what id call "cutting edge" and best practice. No need for any supplement programs, and it would be a great angle to have to show to trade targets, that at this club you will be your best self physically. Would be nice to have a selling point that isn't just we were successful over two decades ago and have a lot of money so we can appear relevant come play for us because we have big games, no meaningful games, but games that make us a lot of money in tickets.
Costs money. AFL teams don't pay that well afaik, unless you're a coach or a player, and even then it pales in comparison to the salary that similarly qualified people earn elsewhere in the world. Without the money, I doubt there's that many world class innovators in Australia that know anything about anything, unless they're autodidacts or come from money and can self-fund overseas education trips.

That said, Ridley had spinal stress fractures as a 19 year old too I think, which would throw out all the other joints and ligaments and stuff all the way down and make them more prone to soft tissue injuries plus hips and knees in particular. So if they think Ridleys soft tissue stuff is related to that (and the sprint training you're talking about as well would change the conditioning and potentially exacerbate it) then it makes sense Reid would also be tagging along... though why Cox and Jones aren't also being sent is ???

Costs money. AFL teams don't pay that well afaik, unless you're a coach or a player, and even then it pales in comparison to the salary that similarly qualified people earn elsewhere in the world. Without the money, I doubt there's that many world class innovators in Australia that know anything about anything, unless they're autodidacts or come from money and can self-fund overseas education trips.

That said, Ridley had spinal stress fractures as a 19 year old too I think, which would throw out all the other joints and ligaments and stuff all the way down and make them more prone to soft tissue injuries plus hips and knees in particular. So if they think Ridleys soft tissue stuff is related to that (and the sprint training you're talking about as well would change the conditioning and potentially exacerbate it) then it makes sense Reid would also be tagging along... though why Cox and Jones aren't also being sent is ???

It costs money to employ those people which is why they aren't at the club, and likely not in Australia.

But you don't need to employ these people to access them, you do the research, find the best biomechanics experts you can and you do the research on building athletes.
You then incorporate that into your initiation process for anyone that walks into your football club. If that means external consult on every single one then you do it, obviously if you can take parts and internalise them without sacrificing quality you do so.

Any slight hitch in their run, any imbalance in muscular activation in their kicking, you find it all and you build from the ground up with a focus on injury prevention and performance as your key pillars.
Knowing how far behind we are in draft strategy and IP I would suggest we are similar in our high performance both mentally and physically.

There are simple things you can do as a club which I don't think we do.

We don't train basic fundamentals in this sport. Or at least there is not an emphasis on them. How kids can walk into this league being unable to kick the ball is a blight on what is supposedly the top professional league in this sport.
Players having no opposite foot, not being able to handpass either hand.
Entire careers being lost to niggling injuries.
There are gaps everywhere, if a club comes along and controls these things that are all within their control then they will be a dynasty.

It costs money to employ those people which is why they aren't at the club, and likely not in Australia.

But you don't need to employ these people to access them, you do the research, find the best biomechanics experts you can and you do the research on building athletes.
You then incorporate that into your initiation process for anyone that walks into your football club. If that means external consult on every single one then you do it, obviously if you can take parts and internalise them without sacrificing quality you do so.

Any slight hitch in their run, any imbalance in muscular activation in their kicking, you find it all and you build from the ground up with a focus on injury prevention and performance as your key pillars.
Knowing how far behind we are in draft strategy and IP I would suggest we are similar in our high performance both mentally and physically.

We don't train basic fundamentals in this sport. Or at least there is not an emphasis on them. How kids can walk into this league being unable to kick the ball is a blight on what is supposedly the top professional league in this sport.
There are gaps everywhere, if a club comes along and controls these things that are all within their control then they will be a dynasty.

I'd guess that most of the best trainers aren't attached to sports clubs. Heaps of NBA / NFL players employ their own conditioning coaches beyond what the club provides, and these clubs have serious cash.

With a finite amount of time, the trainers at the club can only do so much, and it's also on the players. Were Reid and Ridley trying go get back all season instead of pulling the pin and going mid-year?

Like they did with Joe. Then he left and the Lions got the credit 😎

Yep,

1. football nous/skills, kick/handball both sides.
2. Resilient body
3. Athletic ability

All 3 please. Not just skinny athletes with no footy brain!

Like they did with Joe. Then he left and the Lions got the credit 😎

They did have to be kicking and screaming to the resolution with Joe,
I'm talking about doing it from the day you are drafted. Fundamentally changing your program of how you build up players from day 1.

But yes it's a pipedream most likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They did have to be kicking and screaming to the resolution with Joe,
I'm talking about doing it from the day you are drafted. Fundamentally changing your program of how you build up players from day 1.

But yes it's a pipedream most likely.

Part of this would mean playing kids in the VFL while they build up an AFL ready body, which is not something some supporters would cope with.

If we're talking 'best practice' - Reid & Cox probably shouldn't have been anywhere near the AFL side for at least a year, if not two or three, instead spending time building up continuity in the VFL in whatever their best position at AFL level would be. In the US system most kids aren't drafted until they're ~ 21, so they're way more physically mature.

Part of this would mean playing kids in the VFL while they build up an AFL ready body, which is not something some supporters would cope with.

If we're talking 'best practice' - Reid & Cox probably shouldn't have been anywhere near the AFL side for at least a year, if not two or three, instead spending time building up continuity in the VFL in whatever their best position at AFL level would be. In the US system most kids aren't drafted until they're ~ 21, so they're way more physically mature.

Would any of Reid’s injuries not occurred in the VFL?

Being on the same heavy training / weight gain load and playing VFL… not sure how different playing AFL is.

Would any of Reid’s injuries not occurred in the VFL?

Being on the same heavy training / weight gain load and playing VFL… not sure how different playing AFL is.

Load management is much easier in the VFL, playing intensity is also somewhat lower given the skill, size, speed and strength of many of the VFL listed guys is a level below the AFL (thus why the step up is so massive).

You can't really manage minutes at AFL level as effectively, and you're playing on opponents that are going to push you to the limits of your capabilities much more.

Plus, there's also the option of simply not playing him at all and just building the body up with blocks of games at VFL level (for example) followed by blocks not playing.

Our management of extremely tall players AFL wide is far from an exact science IMO.

Load management is much easier in the VFL, playing intensity is also somewhat lower given the skill, size, speed and strength of many of the VFL listed guys is a level below the AFL (thus why the step up is so massive).

You can't really manage minutes at AFL level as effectively, and you're playing on opponents that are going to push you to the limits of your capabilities much more.

Plus, there's also the option of simply not playing him at all and just building the body up with blocks of games at VFL level (for example) followed by blocks not playing.

Our management of extremely tall players AFL wide is far from an exact science IMO.

Playing intensity is lower but not exactly low. It’s still a more intense game than kids like Reid have ever played before. These kids are coming out of U18s and school footy. The VFL is miles ahead of that.

You’ll get no argument from me that we draft too young. Some are ready, most aren’t - the draft should provide players that can immediately help at senior level - the shit clubs get the best picks - but instead it just provides mostly kids who aren’t ready.

Playing intensity is lower but not exactly low. It’s still a more intense game than kids like Reid have ever played before. These kids are coming out of U18s and school footy. The VFL is miles ahead of that.

You’ll get no argument from me that we draft too young. Some are ready, most aren’t - the draft should provide players that can immediately help at senior level - the shit clubs get the best picks - but instead it just provides mostly kids who aren’t ready.

VFL isn't AFL though, intensity a notch lower, much more ability to load manage. Reid was rushed in to AFL on a bit of a hope and a prayer and it's done him no good physically. He might still have broken down anyway, but you at least have a chance at VFL level to manage them through. It's an incremental step up from their U18 football.

Cox & Perkins were also rushed in and have both probably suffered a bit from not having a clearly defined role to focus on IMO.

Agree on draftee age, in the US sports they're closer to 21 and much more physically ready when they're drafted. Here we draft kids to shit sides and they're saddled with the hopes and dreams of the supporters, but are 3 - 5 years away from actually doing much.

hi guys, hope i'm not intruding.

Adam Cerra has gone to the same facility in Qatar to deal with his reoccuring hamstring issues, i think it's player lead, with the club's blessing, in his case.

What they were able to do with Yeo is amazing
who is Adam Cerra?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #31: Zach Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back