AFL Player #32: Ben "Buckets" McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

Jay Clark begs to differ apparently

McKay will provide the crucial strong-body the club needed down back, after signing a six-year deal worth an average $780,000 a season.

The deal is heavily-front ended which hands McKay as much as $1.3 million in his first season, which was part of an agreement which helped pip Hawthorn in the race for his services.

The front-ended deal will make McKay one of the highest-paid players in the AFL next season, although his wage drops off substantially in the last three years of the term.

But superstar captain Zach Merrett, who this year won his fourth Crichton Medal, will remain the club’s highest-paid player on a deal worth about $850,000 a season.

In total, Essendon’s contract offer to McKay was believed to have been less than the Hawks, meaning McKay left money on the table to join his former coach, Scott, in the red and black.

1.3 in the first year means 676k in each year after that to average of 780k per year.

I guess that helps with inflation to get his money while it’s still got the buying power it had when he signed the contract
The article from Clark said it will drop significantly in the last 3 years.

So it could be like:
1.3m, 780k, 780k, 610k, 610k, 610k
Which would have him on basically league average wage the last 3 years.

I sent a message to him a few weeks asking for a tenner now that he’s essendons highest paid player ever.

I sent my PayPal details and would you believe it….I didn’t get anything.
you at a loose end on a friday night mate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lf9ENy6.png

Far from salty considering what we got back in return.

This is a celebration!

Ben McKay is now the Essendon's* highest paid player.

*The Essendon Kangaroos given multiple sectors are now filled with north people.
Get in line hey, we’re still half Richmond, half Melbourne and half GWS

That explains your ignorance then.

We’re purebred mutts 😅
Nah there would be at least some of you that's thought to themselves.....this has a bit of crazy vossy about it.

Even the players doing a self funded mini pre-season overseas........Brad was implementing that Arizona altitude training stuff when he was at North.

Nah there would be at least some of you that's thought to themselves.....this has a bit of crazy vossy about it.

Even the players doing a self funded mini pre-season overseas........Brad was implementing that Arizona altitude training stuff when he was at North.
So was everyone 20 years ago… you’re not special

And we’ve had players do this before, the self-funded stuff stateside 🤷‍♀️ McGrath goes to Canada every year since he’s Canadian so it’s a thing

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #32: Ben "Buckets" McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back