AFL Player #32: Ben "Buckets" McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

So was everyone 20 years ago… you’re not special

And we’ve had players do this before, the self-funded stuff stateside 🤷‍♀️ McGrath goes to Canada every year since he’s Canadian so it’s a thing
Well of course he would if he's from there.

BREAKING NEWS

AFL footballer from another country goes home to that country during the off-season.

Come on...

The funny bit is that you’re still here munching on your bucket of salt like it’s rocky road popcorn
I think I'm comfortable in saying that the vast majority of north fans were happy for Ben to go given the compensation we were gonna get.

and you know this.

Far from salt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i don't have anything against norf as a team or as a club but i feel like you're barking up the wrong tree with regards to making misguided attempts at demeaning a club who's ostensibly performed better than you have over the past few years.

good decisions happen and bad decisions happen, maybe you should worry about what lead to your club being the bottom of the barrel over the past few years.

i don't have anything against norf as a team or as a club but i feel like you're barking up the wrong tree with regards to making misguided attempts at demeaning a club who's ostensibly performed better than you have over the past few years.

good decisions happen and bad decisions happen, maybe you should worry about what lead to your club being the bottom of the barrel over the past few years.
Well yeah that kinda goes without saying when we've performed as bad as we have but aren't some of you even just little bit peeved that you're paying a key-position backline player 8.50K a year who's name isn't Darcy Moore, Andrew Harris or Steven May?

Well yeah that kinda goes without saying when we've performed as bad as we have but aren't some of you even just little bit peeved that you're paying a key-position backline player 8.50K a year who's name isn't Darcy Moore, Andrew Harris or Steven May?
Not really when you have seen what the big forwards have done to us. There is the line of thinking he will be in his prime with us and I believe that will be the case. He is very mobile for a guy that size. My only concern is hopefully he can stay on the park. Everything is a risk and risks need to be taken when you haven't completely bottomed out like us, and the club took a risk to pay that much but one that most of us are happy with.

i wasn't sold for a long time because i'd seen his weaknesses in both of the games your mob played against us this year (namely his shit kicking) but how many other big men were up for trade who're fairly decent defenders. i can only think of mckay. i'd rather have him in our side than have someone who's filling in for the role, instead of actually playing the role.

similarly, as was reported throughout the post-season, essendon had big money to throw around. we're not the destination club we probably once were, so having the money to attract semi-professionals will invariably help our club rebuild and cover some of the gaping maws in our team's roster. from what i've read, most supporters are content with him entering into the club, and the mirth is generally directed at north fans who can't imagine someone leaving their club for better opportunities and potentially grasping some form of success.

By that rationale you must be sad too.

I don’t think you’re sad.
My AFLW team was playing for a top 4 spot tonight... so naturally I'm on here to talk about how good my team are, what they need to improve and their chances of a home final depending on the results over the next day or two. When the game finished I went back to packing for a holiday. I don't have enough boredom to spend my Friday night waddling over to the Dawkes board to see if they have a D'Ambrosio thread, or whatever the equivalent of you being here would be.

Why would we be? North and 15-16 other clubs will have paid someone half as good the same amount of money by the end of 2029 or 2030 or whatever.

Essendon's deal with McKay is front-loaded and not indexed based on the new CBA (Essendon doesn't do CBA lift clauses), so while the middle tier of most clubs will get an automatic pay increase from 650k to 750k, McKay's pay won't go up, it stays as it is. So he's locked into what will be a middle-tier income.

It only seems high to the shit stirrers because they haven't recalibrated their understanding of the value of the dollar after the new CBA takes effect.

My AFLW team was playing for a top 4 spot tonight... so naturally I'm on here to talk about how good my team are, what they need to improve and their chances of a home final depending on the results over the next day or two. When the game finished I went back to packing for a holiday. I don't have enough boredom to spend my Friday night waddling over to the Dawkes board to see if they have a D'Ambrosio thread, or whatever the equivalent of you being here would be.
I feel like I'm reading the McGrath goes back to Canada because he's from there sentence again.

What does the AFLW team, their finals and you packing for a holiday have to do with Ben McKay?

Going off on a tangent must be your kinda thing.

Last edited:
I feel like I reading the McGrath goes back to Canada because he's from there sentence again.

What does the AFLW team, their finals and you packing a for holiday have to do with Ben McKay?

Going off on a tangent must be your kinda thing.
🤔 If something as simple as this conversation is difficult to grasp, there's no wonder you found yourself grappling with something as ever so slightly complex as our disinterest in a relatively ordinary wage bill.

🤔 If something as simple as this conversation is difficult to grasp, there's no wonder you found yourself grappling with something as ever so slightly complex as our disinterest in a relatively ordinary wage bill.
It's not a ordinary wage though is it.

Where are you going for your holiday?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #32: Ben "Buckets" McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back