Remove this Banner Ad

Very good game from the kid

10 possessions (7 kicks 3 handballs)
5 contested possessions
2 tackles
29 hitouts

In 2 years time with a bigger tank and more muscle and 50 games

Goodbye Soldo

Attended 69 contests which is huge for essentially a kid.

Nank protecting him a bit would be great but geez this will accelerate his development big time.
He’s got a big heart Samson, really works hard and tries to compete all day.

Get the muscle and tank into him and wowee

What a game from Samson, so much to like in the ruck. Some really good taps to advantage and he didn't get manhandled by Hawkins in the ruck. That was probably the most impressive thing I saw, so many rucks or tall defenders get outmuscled by Hawkins but he held his own.
He competes real hard and wasn't afraid to contest the footy in the air. More size and even grippier mits will make him a monster.
What I want to see to get his game to new heights is him keeping his feet and more follow up work. A lot of times I saw him hit the deck after going for the ruck contest and sometimes he could've let his presence be known by tackling and putting more pressure on the ball at the stoppage, which Nank does really well.

But nitpicking aside, wowee the improvement has been exponential.

Thought he was going to be a key forward but looks like a top echelon ruckman in the making. Will take over from Nank beautifully.
I thought the same up until tonight. He can play alongside Nank until he retires and then move into the number one role in a few years.

I thought the same up until tonight. He can play alongside Nank until he retires and then move into the number one role in a few years.
Perfect succession plan.

Looking like a genius selection by Matt Clarke. My mate who is a recruiter was surprised we took him at the time. Plucked from obscurity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will? Our midfield looks so much better with Samson winning tap outs which Nank doesn't really do. Already better in my view and then there is upside from here.
Nah we still miss Nanks brute force and follow up work at times. At least now we have a ruck duo that compliment each other perfectly.

Trained 100% as a full forward in pre season with no ruck work. Bit symptomatic of our brains trust at the moment, has always looked a ruck/forward to me with an emphasis on the former

Eye test plus hit outs to advantage since been thrown in the deep certainly back that up. Just groom him equally in both areas.. silver lining with Nank going down is this is doing wonders for his development

He was tiring in the last but then fought back when Geelong were coming back, great effort and the best thing to come out of the year so far, oh and beating Geelong.
He’s actually done this the last three games which is a really big step up for the lad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back