Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade our captain who was in AA form before he got injured so a bloke who won't be physically ready to ruck a full game for a couple more seasons can get ran into the ground. Makes sense :straining:

Having Nank as the main man for 2 or 3 more seasons will be the perfect apprenticeship for Ryan. Keep Soldo purely for backup to an injury prone Nank too.
Its not as easy as that unfortunately !

Soldo would be on $400k-$450k a year and in his prime
Soldo would be looking for game time and so he should. No player aspires to be just a backup Ruckman that might play 6-8 games a year
He has had clubs knocking on his door in the past and will have again as he is a free agent in a year.

We would be better of trading him and drafting either a Backup VFL Ruck or a Kid like may to develop the replacement
You cannot have so much cash banked in the reserves

Its not as easy as that unfortunately !

Soldo would be on $400k-$450k a year and in his prime
Soldo would be looking for game time and so he should. No player aspires to be just a backup Ruckman that might play 6-8 games a year
He has had clubs knocking on his door in the past and will have again as he is a free agent in a year.

We would be better of trading him and drafting either a Backup VFL Ruck or a Kid like may to develop the replacement
You cannot have so much cash banked in the reserves
Yeah he may well request a trade, but I wouldn't be pushing him out as per the suggestion. Soldo wouldn't be on much. Would definitely be trying to keep him for the sake of 200k with Nank being severely injury prone lately.

Yeah he may well request a trade, but I wouldn't be pushing him out as per the suggestion. Soldo wouldn't be on much. Would definitely be trying to keep him for the sake of 200k with Nank being severely injury prone lately.
I think he would be on around the 400-450 range
He signed an extension is 2021 after years of Rookie salary and playing in a premiership he would not have signed a 3 year extension if the $$$ was not reasonable

I think he would be on around the 400-450 range
He signed an extension is 2021 after years of Rookie salary and playing in a premiership he would not have signed a 3 year extension if the $$$ was not reasonable
Plenty of clubs would have backup rucks on close to that coin - Phillips, Campbell, Ceglar, Day, Preuss, Schache. Not worth shopping him around for 100-200k.

Clear as day he is a ruck who can push forward. Not a forward who goes into the ruck. Elite tap work, aggression goes up a notch when given responsibility on ball and already learning to use his body against more mature opponents.

I think he will develop into a dangerous forward when he can float forward against smaller, lesser matchups from the ruck. Putting him against a genuine key defender all game has not been best use of him and he looks lost (so far).

I am trying to trade Nank and/or Soldo at the end of the year if I can get something of use.
We’re not the kinda club that would trade their captain out , soldo a chance to move

Rumors abound that he will return to QLD or that he wants to. I hope its BS and nothing of substance has been reported but given he is our most exciting forward prospect since JR, it would be bloody crushing.
What rumours? I call bullshit

What rumours? I call bullshit
One guy who knows a guy posted some bullshit about him wanting to go home and the entire board has been freaking about it since then.

In other news, I heard that Nick Daicos and Matt Rowell are lovers and want to play together at Richmond next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really pleasing to see a kid you jump on early coming good once their opportunity presents. Was a big fan of his from his first few games in the VFL as you could see he had something about him. Will only continue to improve as he gets to play more games across the remainder of the season.

What will be interesting though will be how we play the kid once Nankervis returns as Ryan has been quite good in the ruck as his confidence in the role grew. Do we send him back to being a forward partnering Jack or do we send Nankervis forward and keep running Ryan as the number 1 ruck.
Plus. He can kick! 60 m and straight and looks confident. 40 m banana no problems. Rare in a big man. S madden. Probably a few more but they are few and far between

Still reckon S.R. is more a forward than Ruck...and more dangerous as a player playing forward. (Save his strength for marking and kicking!)
Reminds me of a tall player playing and moving like a basket baller.
Can play ruck...tapping the ball...(one wood!) but just doesn't seem to impose hisself as a ruckman on the game even like T.English/Nank..whether that's because of body strength and experience....time will tell out!
Not sure I would like him banged up as a ruck man ala Nank!...would possibly last longer as a player playing forward!
Good problem to have!

Plenty of clubs would have backup rucks on close to that coin - Phillips, Campbell, Ceglar, Day, Preuss, Schache. Not worth shopping him around for 100-200k.
Like I said, nothing of substance, but there is plenty of chat about it, especially QLD AFL circles.
Cool 😎

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back