Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Samson Ryan has joined a new management agency that can meet his very specific needs!

A developing ruckman who remains under strength, who is also capable of getting some goals when forward. Let's see if he can build that core and upper body and tank, if he does, he is automatically an AFL ruckman.

I was really worried that he would not make it because he couldn't physically deal with any AFL tall. Now he seems to be able to hold his own. He's not pushing them out, but he is able to hold his spot.

Over the journey he has shown good skills and decent mobility for his size. Right now he cannot take a mark and is afraid of taking the game on.

But if he can continue to build his strength and he can get his confidence up then Samson can be a good ruck forward in the AFL.

The club must be confident that he can continue to get stronger and that he will play to his ability. Cause otherwise it's a mistake to resign him for so long. If he can get stronger then all of sudden he'll start to be much more competitive and will be a good player. If if if

I was really worried that he would not make it because he couldn't physically deal with any AFL tall. Now he seems to be able to hold his own. He's not pushing them out, but he is able to hold his spot.

Over the journey he has shown good skills and decent mobility for his size. Right now he cannot take a mark and is afraid of taking the game on.

But if he can continue to build his strength and he can get his confidence up then Samson can be a good ruck forward in the AFL.

The club must be confident that he can continue to get stronger and that he will play to his ability. Cause otherwise it's a mistake to resign him for so long. If he can get stronger then all of sudden he'll start to be much more competitive and will be a good player. If if if
The club (MC) has also been confident that the likes of HRS, Dow, Sonsie etc will do the job. One of the main things I dislike about his game is his lack of endeavour. Whilst his body is not yet up to the big boys, he should be doing everything possible to keep the ball in our forward line, or get the ball out to advantage, but I'm not seeing the desperation required. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to make it, but I'm not seeing it.

The club (MC) has also been confident that the likes of HRS, Dow, Sonsie etc will do the job. One of the main things I dislike about his game is his lack of endeavour. Whilst his body is not yet up to the big boys, he should be doing everything possible to keep the ball in our forward line, or get the ball out to advantage, but I'm not seeing the desperation required. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to make it, but I'm not seeing it.
I'm worried too.

I reckon he has the ability to be an AFL player. But I am a long way from convinced that 3 years was a good idea.

I'm worried too.

I reckon he has the ability to be an AFL player. But I am a long way from convinced that 3 years was a good idea.
the fact he got three years might be what he needed mentally to take a bit of pressure off and realise he has a bit of time up his sleeve to perfect his craft (even if supporters are impatient)

the fact he got three years might be what he needed mentally to take a bit of pressure off and realise he has a bit of time up his sleeve to perfect his craft (even if supporters are impatient)

Makes sense. I would guess the club can see what he might be.And realise that it'll take him 2 years to get the right strength and fitness, and then to develop trust and belief in himself. If he can put it all together we have a gem.

if, if, if.

Going to take an extraordinary change in attitude & work ethic for this 3 year deal to be deemed successful

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That's 100% not the problem

At the end of the day, there is usually only 2-3 elite ruckman in the game at any one time.

7-8 better than average

8+ blokes who aer 200+ cm who can run, tap a ball occassionally and maybe mark it once or twice.

I will be happy, and I think he has enough to be in the 7-8 better than average group in a few years.
And it's proven, you don't need elite ruckman to win flags

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sampson is the sort of player that will frustrate the buggery out of us until he hits around 26 year old. If we can have patience with him, he'll come good and finally grow into his body. Just going to take time and belief by the club. It's a risk but the rewards could be immense.
I'm with ya. I still think he's going to be a good player.

Needs to be playing ruck in the VFL though. He is not a KPF at AFL level.

I'm with ya. I still think he's going to be a good player.

Needs to be playing ruck in the VFL though. He is not a KPF at AFL level.

Our issue lies with Nank.

He's a, 100% on the ball, bullocking type ruckman, who can't go and rest fwd.
He loses his impact on the contest if he's not constantly on the footy, and his strength is wearing down his opponent and beating them at ground level, rather than your classic ruckman dominating the stoppages.

So because there is little flexibility with Nank, it means Ryan isn't given the opportuntiy to develop in the ruck in the 1's, yet people expect him to impact as a KPF when resting there, even though thats something our current #1 ruck and capt can't do either.

He's on a hiding to nothing really

Our issue lies with Nank.

He's a, 100% on the ball, bullocking type ruckman, who can't go and rest fwd.
He loses his impact on the contest if he's not constantly on the footy, and his strength is wearing down his opponent and beating them at ground level, rather than your classic ruckman dominating the stoppages.

So because there is little flexibility with Nank, it means Ryan isn't given the opportuntiy to develop in the ruck in the 1's, yet people expect him to impact as a KPF when resting there, even though thats something our current #1 ruck and capt can't do either.

He's on a hiding to nothing really
Not the worst issue to have. Nank is one of the better rucks in the league. Balta and even Kosi are better 2nd rucks than Samson at the moment.

Ideally Samson will just have to bide his time in the reserves once Lynch/Lefau/Fawcett/2024 draftees are fit to play forward.

Not the worst issue to have. Nank is one of the better rucks in the league. Balta and even Kosi are better 2nd rucks than Samson at the moment.

Ideally Samson will just have to bide his time in the reserves once Lynch/Lefau/Fawcett/2024 draftees are fit to play forward.

Nank is one of the better competitors in the league, agree, he is not one of the better rucks in the league.
Soldo was a better genuine ruck than Nank, he just did little to nothing else around the ground.
For years we have been soundly beaten, or have set up to lose taps, at Centre Bounces, and while we were good, it was ok, but as soon as the slide started (coupled with 6-6-6), it put us on the back foot massively.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nank, and he is still our best option. But he certainly has limitations, and those limitations impact us as a team.

Nank is one of the better competitors in the league, agree, he is not one of the better rucks in the league.
Soldo was a better genuine ruck than Nank, he just did little to nothing else around the ground.
For years we have been soundly beaten, or have set up to lose taps, at Centre Bounces, and while we were good, it was ok, but as soon as the slide started (coupled with 6-6-6), it put us on the back foot massively.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nank, and he is still our best option. But he certainly has limitations, and those limitations impact us as a team.
Is a good point and I think as a midfield group we specifically train and line up accordingly to the particular strengths of Nank (he’s a number 1 ruck so would be silly not to) our Ruck coach in Maric played much the same way

But it does mean that when guys like Ryan are playing we are a little bit of a loss as to how best set up around him

Hopefully over the next year or two hopefully we see Ryan get a chance as the number 1 but also specifically training around his attributes

In 2024 Richmond has the 2nd best hitout differential behind only Swans, and we are way clear of 3rd(+11 v +6.7.) The new ruck rules have brought Nankervis right into his own in terms of winning hitouts.

Nank gets the same amount of hitouts to advantage as Soldo per game this year, and that's hitting to a garbage midfield. His tapwork has improved out of site.

He is a better 'genuine ruck' as you say, and better around the ground. He is just better all round. I'd take a competitor over a tap ruckman any day of the week anyway.

Nank gets the same amount of hitouts to advantage as Soldo per game this year, and that's hitting to a garbage midfield. His tapwork has improved out of site.

He is a better 'genuine ruck' as you say, and better around the ground. He is just better all round. I'd take a competitor over a tap ruckman any day of the week anyway.
He’s definitely improved in this area, but Soldo isn’t your benchmark Ruck to be comparing him to. We win a lot of midfield clearances , but do little after this bc we are so slow or poorly skilled. Nank still gets monstered by the big boys , but he’s light years ahead of Ryan. I wouldn’t trust Ryan to hold my beer.

He’s definitely improved in this area, but Soldo isn’t your benchmark Ruck to be comparing him to. We win a lot of midfield clearances , but do little after this bc we are so slow or poorly skilled. Nank still gets monstered by the big boys , but he’s light years ahead of Ryan. I wouldn’t trust Ryan to hold my beer.
Like Jackson and Darcy? 🤔

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back