Player Watch #33: Kamdyn McIntosh

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sick of hearing all this bullsh1t about thw wing role is all about km's covered. What's any good about running 16km's but only having <10 touches 4 of which are on the full or turnovers that get slingshotted back for a goal. I'd rather see a player who covers less km's but is actually an offensive weapon who can pull off the required kicks being 60m long over the loose man in defense, 45 degrees inboard to a loose player, or lowering the eyes and hitting up a leading forward. Most important thing is not holding up the play and allowing defenses to flood back. I reckon Short could be one of the all time great wingers with his kicking being his weapon. Even try the kids: Banks, Ralphsmith, Brown (if he's ever fu@ken fit).

Any summary of any game and 95% of the time Kmac is in our bottom 4 or 5 players. Yet his position is never under threat or improved on. Pickett plays the occasional blinder and a lot of very good games. Mr Sheen on the other wing just runs and offers SFA!!!!!! How does he retain his spot???? How will the kids get opportunities. It's FOOTBALL not an athletics carnival. IDGAF how many km's the players run I want plodders dropped and kids given persistent opportunities to see who can thrive. I'd offer McIntosh a rookies salary next year where he's fighting for a game and needs to dominate in magoos or let him walk elsewhere cos he offers SFA other than km's covered.

I wouldn’t say that he’s ‘way down’ on every stat, but fair play to you; it is clear that looking past his disposal stats he is down in every other category.

I’d still maintain that it is reflective of the broader team in general and KMac he has never been a huge disposal winner in the first instance (which was the genesis of my response as some comparing to the likes of Langdon etc).

All for an improvement in the position or a change of role (KMac has always been a flawed player).

I think the wing positions may be our biggest weaknest now, I'd love a Ed Langdon style of player at our club.
That knows their role links up well on the outside with Melbourne's inside mids.

Pickett has been better than Mcintosh but both don't get enough of the footy for me and are getting old.
Hopefully Blair & the team are doing research on all clubs wing-role and getting some cheap younger and hungry player.

We've got Banks, Brown, Ralphsmith all waiting in the wings as well as a Naish coming. The last thing we need to do is recruit more we just need to get games in the ones we already have to see which ones are gonna step up and make the position there's. We need to draft in positions we have no depth eg: KPF's not wingers or HBF's.

Running km is all irrelevant if you're not finding the ball and your opponent is. The Silky Butterfly, RCDC, and Castagna were all applauded for these traits and it meant nothing in the end if you're not getting the ball and the opponent is. You can run to Sydney and back in a game , yet if you've hardly touched the ball means you're are not up to standard of the true Wingman role. Don't get me wrong I've always admired KMac bc for such a limited footballer he has achieved so much bc of his tank, ferocity, courage, endurance and ability to play a role. However with an ageing list and him most likely not being at PRO next year then invest 14games into a kid that will be. It's called fast tracking your list for the future and not just playing old blokes bc of their past performances and stagnating your list by six to 12 months. He's been terrible all season and like Sheds Castagna and Aarts last year he's been gifted games at the expense of the current team and the future one.
We have 21 players out of contract.

Tarrant, Cotch, Jack R, Jason C, Mate.. definitely off the list. Easily covered.

That leaves Bigoa, Grimes, Hugo, Jack G, Bauer, Bradkte, Kmac, Pickett, Broad, Balta, Mansell, Campbell, Dow, Nank, Young.

One MSD pick for George and 4 draft picks. 30 being our first unless we trade up with Jack G, Broad & Kmac, I doubt there would be interest. Re signing Kmac, as depth might happen.

Capt Grimes has done a lazarus and he will want one more year.

Last edited:
We have 21 players out of contract.

Tarrant, Cotch, Jack R, Jason C, Mate.. definitely off the list. Easily covered.

That leaves Bigoa, Grimes, Hugo, Jack G, Bauer, Bradkte, Kmac, Pickett, Broad, Balta, Mansell, Campbell, Dow, Nank, Young.

One MSD pick for George and 4 draft picks. 30 being our first unless we trade up with Jack G, Broad & Kmac, I doubt there would be interest. Re signing Kmac, as depth might happen.

Capt Grimes has done a lazarus and he will want one more year.
Mansell is gone IMHO. Broad is a must stay, but maybe hard to hold onto. KMac still looks in trouble based on the highlighted kids you have, but you are probably most likely right as Dimma loves a battler.:cool::)

I wouldn’t say that he’s ‘way down’ on every stat, but fair play to you; it is clear that looking past his disposal stats he is down in every other category.

I’d still maintain that it is reflective of the broader team in general and KMac he has never been a huge disposal winner in the first instance (which was the genesis of my response as some comparing to the likes of Langdon etc).

All for an improvement in the position or a change of role (KMac has always been a flawed player).
Fair points as i'm not a stat quoter in general, but more interested in quality over quantity. KMac was a master of this , but this season he's now become deficient in both quality and quantity. I think the problem is that as our BL has been under the pump his role has become even more defensive and his impact has declined and he's made more errors under a higher pressure defensive role with more noticeable his pace lost. He looks like he's running in slow motion now as well as unable to jump to do his usual aerial blocks.

Gotta love all the critics on here. Does anyone know what he’s being asked to do by the coaches, and if he’s fulfilling those tasks? Nope.
Easy to look at stats and be critical. He’s not, nor has he ever been, a star but he’s possibly doing what’s asked of him
He’s playing trash mate

Running km is all irrelevant if you're not finding the ball and your opponent is. The Silky Butterfly, RCDC, and Castagna were all applauded for this trait and it means nothing in the end if you're not getting the ball and the opponent is. You can run to Sydney and back in a game , yet if you've hardly touched the ball means you're are not up to standard of the true Wingman role. Don't get me wrong I've always admired KMac bc for such a limited footballer he has achieved so much bc of his tank, ferocity, courage, endurance and ability to play a role. However with an ageing list and him most likely not being at PRO next year then invest 14games into a kid that will be. It's called fast tracking your list for the future and not just playing old blokes bc of their past performances and stagnating your list by six to 12 months. He's been terrible all season and like Sheds Castagna and Aarts last year he's been gifted games at the expense of the current team and the future one.

We seemingly have an attachment disorder - unable to move on from past glories.
We're ALL enamoured with the past and with great reason, but you at some point have to move on.
But we've put those blokes up on pedestals and won't let go.
Like FFS, early last year there were some talking about Caddy being an integral part of the side when he was cooked and hadn't had a kick for 18 months.
Week after week last year, hoping, praying for Castgana and Edwards to turn back the clock to 2017 when you know it's never going to happen.
There is nothing wrong with moving on from the past - it helps you confront the future much quicker.
In the Hafey years, we were constantly regenerating the team, bringing in Sproule, Andrews, Thorpe, Neville Roberts, Monteath and moving premiership and senior players on.

reckon makka goin ok, dimma must have him playing ultra defensive, i remember in past years makka was always getting that 1 good goal most games with a hefty roost,

not so much these days

in a perfect world with little or no injury, id back in balta/ross and short as our best winger combo, but right now no one is up too that task

i remember when brando copped heaps on here back in the day for not getting enough of the pill and not crashing in hard enough....replace him with up and comers a few said 'menadue, luke english and naishy could replace him easily they said....

all those 3 getting 12 to 18 touches in the lower leagues these days, while brando still struttin his solid form and powerhouse running on the goldy.

so for mine makka stays its obvious (to me anyway) HRS, Sonz, Cumbo, Clark, are sniffing and skillful, but still not there in endurance/strength/toughness to put makkas spot in jeopardy.

reckon makka goin ok, dimma must have him playing ultra defensive, i remember in past years makka was always getting that 1 good goal most games with a hefty roost,

not so much these days

in a perfect world with little or no injury, id back in balta/ross and short as our best winger combo, but right now no one is up too that task

i remember when brando copped heaps on here back in the day for not getting enough of the pill and not crashing in hard enough....replace him with up and comers a few said 'menadue, luke english and naishy could replace him easily they said....

all those 3 getting 12 to 18 touches in the lower leagues these days, while brando still struttin his solid form and powerhouse running on the goldy.

so for mine makka stays its obvious (to me anyway) HRS, Sonz, Cumbo, Clark, are sniffing and skillful, but still not there in endurance/strength/toughness to put makkas spot in jeopardy.
Agree with his replacements being sadly well beneath him TT , but KMac was still a fringe player as he did miss the 2019 team. Yes he’s definitely playing a more defensive role , but you also need to remember he’s lost a few yards now and so have most of the jets that have carried the team. Now being a fringe player in a team of old jets that once carried you means that you will be at high risk of going under if you also slow down and that’s what’s happening now. His replacements in Ross Sonsie HRS need the game time, but Dimmer won’t invest in them fully until the season is almost or fully shot. This has always been his motto to play old and experienced over the opposite. Dimmer has always lacked foresight when it comes to playing kids as he’s not a risk taker and can’t plan ahead.

Agree with his replacements being sadly well beneath him TT , but KMac was still a fringe player as he did miss the 2019 team. Yes he’s definitely playing a more defensive role , but you also need to remember he’s lost a few yards now and so have most of the jets that have carried the team. Now being a fringe player in a team of old jets that once carried you means that you will be at high risk of going under if you also slow down and that’s what’s happening now. His replacements in Ross Sonsie HRS need the game time, but Dimmer won’t invest in them fully until the season is almost or fully shot. This has always been his motto to play old and experienced over the opposite. Dimmer has always lacked foresight when it comes to playing kids as he’s not a risk taker and can’t plan ahead.
I believe his is out of contract end of this year and will only be kept on at low salary and if je is offered more by another club i dont believe the club will be breaking a sweat to keep him.

Hope 1 of the WA teams make him a Conca type offer and he can continue
nice bloke but i think we have enough young talent to take over in 2024

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe his is out of contract end of this year and will only be kept on at low salary and if je is offered more by another club i dont believe the club will be breaking a sweat to keep him.

Hope 1 of the WA teams make him a Conca type offer and he can continue
nice bloke but i think we have enough young talent to take over in 2024
He was one of my favourites as I watched a lot of him at Coburg and see him get to the level and play in two flags , but seeing young KMac and the current one it’s chalk and cheese. I would love to do the things I could do 30 years ago, but people just need to understand Father Time catches up with you.

He was one of my favourites as I watched a lot of him at Coburg and see him get to the level and play in two flags , but seeing young KMac and the current one it’s chalk and cheese. I would love to do the things I could do 30 years ago, but people just need to understand Father Time catches up with you.
It sure does

I have posted that we will lose 10 players that are in our team in the next 3 years that will allow Richmond so much salary cap space that we can afford to get some decent free agents in the coming years whilst still drafting kids like we have done last 2 years where we have added 10 kids to the list with late picks that have some skills but need time developing like the Baker , Short , McIntosh , Grimes , Butler , Castagna's of yester year

But we must remain competitive to be able to attract the Prestia , Lynch's of the future

Mansell is gone IMHO. Broad is a must stay, but maybe hard to hold onto. KMac still looks in trouble based on the highlighted kids you have, but you are probably most likely right as Dimma loves a battler.:cool::)
Mansell is in the 22 again. He ain't getting delisted. Balta, Young & Grimes re signing? Not sure what Broad does. We still need KPFs.

Post a pic of ya misses might be willing to help you at .

Mansell is interesting one. I share your view that he would be delist material, but if Cotchin, Riewoldt and Tarrant retire as expected, I can see the club re-signing for an additional year on the premise that we don’t have a first round pick already and giving a guy a two year contract at pick 80+ May not be as worthwhile as an extra year of Mansell and a potential delisting in 2024.

Similarly, KMac may get an extra year, potentially one with a trigger for a second year. He’s not someone that produces at a level (and he never has) that would guarantee anything greater than a few year contracts in a hit. If someone like Freo (losing the likes of Acres etc.) or West Coast (just need bodies) I can see them offering a longer more financially beneficial deal than what we can.

Mansell is interesting one. I share your view that he would be delist material, but if Cotchin, Riewoldt and Tarrant retire as expected, I can see the club re-signing for an additional year on the premise that we don’t have a first round pick already and giving a guy a two year contract at pick 80+ May not be as worthwhile as an extra year of Mansell and a potential delisting in 2024.

Similarly, KMac may get an extra year, potentially one with a trigger for a second year. He’s not someone that produces at a level (and he never has) that would guarantee anything greater than a few year contracts in a hit. If someone like Freo (losing the likes of Acres etc.) or West Coast (just need bodies) I can see them offering a longer more financially beneficial deal than what we can.
He may get Rookied, but he’s getting a lot of opportunities atm which could either means:
The club is having a close look at him and will delist him if he’s not going to improve by season’s end.
OR
They actually rate him for having zero impact or a negative impact on games. A bit like the great Jason Cartagna. Sadly Mansell has been the least impressive of our young brigade bc he’s been gifted a few more games for his low output.

He may get Rookied, but he’s getting a lot of opportunities atm which could either means:
The club is having a close look at him and will delist him if he’s not going to improve by season’s end.
OR
They actually rate him for having zero impact or a negative impact on games. A bit like the great Jason Cartagna. Sadly Mansell has been the least impressive of our young brigade bc he’s been gifted a few more games for his low output.

He may get rookied, though I personally don’t think he will. The contract status of our rookies as I understand it:

• Seth Campbell - first year on rookie list.
  • Kaelan Bradtke - first year on rookie list
  • Tyler Young - first year on rookie list
  • Jacob Bauer - will be second year on rookie list but contract will be up.
  • Biggy Nyoun - second year on the rookie list.
  • likely MSD player.

I hope that none of those are delisted and Mansell retained. You could delist Mansell, promote a current rookie (probably Young) and re-draft Mansell as a rookie but that seems a bit of a longbow approach.

I think he plays his role better than the other small forwards currently. That’s why he’s getting games. But I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect the likes of Maurice Rioli Jr and Noah Cumberland (who are better players) take over that role and perform better. I also hope we see one of Seth Campbell, Kaleb Smith and Steely Green (the latter the one I really like for reasons that don’t seem logical) all of whom have a higher ceiling than Mansell.

I think if you’ve been moved from what position to another, and you aren’t dominating in that new role (the fact Mansell has been dropped before indicates this) then you’re on borrowed time.

Anyway, this thread is about KMac.

I'm sick of hearing all this bullsh1t about thw wing role is all about km's covered. What's any good about running 16km's but only having <10 touches 4 of which are on the full or turnovers that get slingshotted back for a goal. I'd rather see a player who covers less km's but is actually an offensive weapon who can pull off the required kicks being 60m long over the loose man in defense, 45 degrees inboard to a loose player, or lowering the eyes and hitting up a leading forward. Most important thing is not holding up the play and allowing defenses to flood back. I reckon Short could be one of the all time great wingers with his kicking being his weapon. Even try the kids: Banks, Ralphsmith, Brown (if he's ever fu@ken fit).

Any summary of any game and 95% of the time Kmac is in our bottom 4 or 5 players. Yet his position is never under threat or improved on. Pickett plays the occasional blinder and a lot of very good games. Mr Sheen on the other wing just runs and offers SFA!!!!!! How does he retain his spot???? How will the kids get opportunities. It's FOOTBALL not an athletics carnival. IDGAF how many km's the players run I want plodders dropped and kids given persistent opportunities to see who can thrive. I'd offer McIntosh a rookies salary next year where he's fighting for a game and needs to dominate in magoos or let him walk elsewhere cos he offers SFA other than km's covered.
get Greg Tivendale back in!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #33: Kamdyn McIntosh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back