Past #34: Ben Davies - drafted w/ pick 96 - 2 games for NM in '08 - delisted at end of '08

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't watch footy.

I do watch footy but maybe Im watching the wrong games because I still havent exactly seen Edwards set the world on fire whilst he has been at North.

Was there an AA nomination or a Coleman medal in there somewhere? I do see a guy who can barely kick 40 metres and takes the occassional hanger but nothing to exactly get me doing the old "hail hail"

I do watch footy but maybe Im watching the wrong games because I still havent exactly seen Edwards set the world on fire whilst he has been at North.

Was there an AA nomination or a Coleman medal in there somewhere? I do see a guy who can barely kick 40 metres and takes the occassional hanger but nothing to exactly get me doing the old "hail hail"
For Pick 82, Edwards have proven very handy as a lead up forward, and link man.

We looked shabby without him. I don't rate his goal kicking, but he works his arse off during matches.

As I said, Pick 82. If he's fit he'll play everygame next year. That's great selection.

Your kidding yourself if you put Foote over Davies.

just taking the piss mate :D

just admit it mate the trade was dumb and according 2 his old man he was meant 2 be developed in 2 a tagger/ run with player ala rawlings.

now why would we want another mid paced mid skilled tagger who only lasted on the list for 1 yr and before u use the hindsight card most predicted he wouldnt last. collingwood knew he was a good VFL player and for what we paid him over the 1 yr, would nearly cover the contract of a 1st year player 5th rounder over 2 years.

Edwards hasn't got himself an AA selection in his injury interrupted 2 years at the club? ****ing disgrace. Delist.

For Pick 82, Edwards have proven very handy as a lead up forward, and link man.

We looked shabby without him. I don't rate his goal kicking, but he works his arse off during matches.

As I said, Pick 82. If he's fit he'll play everygame next year. That's great selection.

So what make Ben Davies a shit selection when everything said about what we could have done with pick 96 we could have done with the Edwards pick or is this one of those hindsight things where all the experts change there views two years on or depending on the situation on whether it worked or not.

So what make Ben Davies a shit selection when everything said about what we could have done with pick 96 we could have done with the Edwards pick or is this one of those hindsight things where all the experts change there views two years on or depending on the situation on whether it worked or not.

btw it would of been pick 70-76 depending on the order.

What?

Edwards = good selection.

Davies = shit selection.

But given how high both are - Edwards at 82, Davies swapped for 96 - it wouldn't have mattered if they were both shit.

I think you're confused.

What?

Davies = shit selection.

But given how high both are, it wouldn't have mattered if they were both shit.

I think you're confused.

Edwards = JJ Liston Medal winner kicked over 100 goals and did show moments of brillance with the eagles

Davies = Shit selection, got games for collingwood when they were tanking

What?

Davies = shit selection.

But given how high both are - Edwards at 82, Davies swapped for 96 - it wouldn't have mattered if they were both shit.

I think you're confused.

Edwards is only a good selection in hindsight. If he turned out to be a dud then there would be people screaming that we should have gone for a 17yo kid who could have turned into wonamierri yada yada yada. Do you see what I am getting at. You cant have it both ways.

But maybe we should have put Wundke on the senior list instead of Davies. How is that for an idea NorthBhoy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, from memory, Davies either won or went very close to winning the best and fairest at Williamstown, and clearly has a good work ethic.

There's no surprise he was picked up. What's important is that he wasn't retained for another year in some sort of SansburyBrown-esque clatch at some straws.

Edwards is only a good selection in hindsight. If he turned out to be a dud then there would be people screaming that we should have gone for a 17yo kid who could have turned into wonamierri yada yada yada. Do you see what I am getting at. You cant have it both ways.

I think most people on here were very keen on taking Edwards as a late speculative pick after his outstanding VFL season.

Can't say the same enthusiasm existed for Davies.

I doubt many would be having a crack at the club if Edwards was a dud. but he isn't.

49105main_popcorn.jpg

I think most people on here were very keen on taking Edwards as a late speculative pick after his outstanding VFL season.

Can't say the same enthusiasm existed for Davies.

I doubt many would be having a crack at the club if Edwards was a dud. but he isn't.

So you are saying if Edwards didnt work out that no one on bigfooty would have a crack at either Edwards or Laidley or Nev about how it was a poor decision and we should have picked up a kid?

Come on Zebs you should know bigfooty better than that.

So you are saying if Edwards didnt work out that no one on bigfooty would have a crack at either Edwards or Laidley or Nev about how it was a poor decision and we should have picked up a kid?

Come on Zebs you should know bigfooty better than that.

BigFooty is rarely united on anything. FFS, people were suggesting we trade Boomer this year and some wanted us relocated to the Gold Coast.

But you can't call hindsight on Edwards - because as I remember it, most wanted him and as I remember, very few wanted Davies.

Seems the majority was correct on both those calls.

Our footy department gets a lot of things wrong (and a lot right), and if what happens is exactly what most said is going to happen....you can understand the frustration. It isn't the first time.

Edwards = JJ Liston Medal winner kicked over 100 goals and did show moments of brillance with the eagles

Davies didn't get too many opportunites, i think Edwards has done a good job so far just a pity be got injured against the swans. Its was always going to be hard coming back after such a bad break. His along with JWS and Boomer was a match winning performance against the hawks in the final in 07. For a player of relatively little AFL experience he deserves more time. If he can have a big pre season, no injury concerns and play most of the pre season matches I think most will be excited at what he may bring to the side.
Having said all that I would be even more excited if JWS could have the same sort of start to 09.

I still have the first signature he ever gave representing North (at the players’ BBQ not long after we nabbed him). Got him to sign his #34 jumper which I’d bought from the bargain bin. The look on his face when I asked him to sign it, and he responded with “this is a first for me at North”, was a sign this wouldn’t be a long marriage.

Bye ***

I still have the first signature he ever gave representing North (at the players’ BBQ not long after we nabbed him). Got him to sign his #34 jumper which I’d bought from the bargain bin. The look on his face when I asked him to sign it, and he responded with “this is a first for me at North”, was a sign this wouldn’t be a long marriage.

Bye ***

We traded for him in an effort to coax his brother to the club. Ironically we missed on him drafting some other guy's brother.

Neither move paid off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #34: Ben Davies - drafted w/ pick 96 - 2 games for NM in '08 - delisted at end of '08

Remove this Banner Ad

Back