Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - MOVED TO WCE - PICK 42 Received

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs to drop weight big time. Hire a sprint coach, and learn to hand ball. His pace over ground is only half the issue. Needs to be quicker in the mind and getting ball to hand/foot.

slow player's like him can make it, but they need more talks than just being able to tackle.

Needs to drop weight big time. Hire a sprint coach, and learn to hand ball. His pace over ground is only half the issue. Needs to be quicker in the mind and getting ball to hand/foot.

slow player's like him can make it, but they need more talks than just being able to tackle.
Jacks in trouble unless his shoulders both come good like 99 percent good, his tackling is now clumsy and he is no good at taking a strong overhead mark.

Wasn't good enough today but is the least of our concerns. Integral to our dominance in terms of time spent in our forward half and inside 50's even he isn't winning and disposing of the ball himself. Basically plays the role of a prop in rugby terms and keeps barging in thus having the ball a lot by finishing with a low disposal count. The few times tonight he did get space tonight he fumbled but that happens in a tight contested game like tonight.

Once again led the team for averaging moving speed, pressure acts and tackles.

Wasn't good enough today but is the least of our concerns. Integral to our dominance in terms of time spent in our forward half and inside 50's even he isn't winning and disposing of the ball himself. Basically plays the role of a prop in rugby terms and keeps barging in thus having the ball a lot by finishing with a low disposal count. The few times tonight he did get space tonight he fumbled but that happens in a tight contested game like tonight.

Once again led the team for averaging moving speed, pressure acts and tackles.
Well and good but with Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards to come back into the midfield with Bolton flying past him and Pickett slowly improving (and a much better footballer), where do you see him playing down the track. Not to mention Ross and RCD waiting in the wings. Happy to see him playing in the guts for the time being, because he is playing for his career if that is not being to dramatic. But against a class midfield he was pretty ineffectual.

I am not selling out on this bloke at all. He is good at some things, not as good at other things but you can see why the selectors love him, some of his efforts to contest and tackle last night were really brave and committed.

If say Adelaide offered us a low 20’s pick for him, would we take it? He is a reasonably unique player imo in that he is very high pressure and low possession but can hurt you with his possessions. He is probably what the Crows need and could we build a new midfield post Edwards and Cotchin without him?

We need to find out about RCD, eventually Dow will play, Stack in the guts, Ross surely gets back to being an inside mid, and Prestia and Martin probably have a fair bit of footy left. English may also have a future yet for us. Bolton is doing nicely in there though he is a forward runner, he is good at it.

Just wondering if he is worth trading and what we might get for him...

So Richmond wins, he gets praised.
Richmond lose, he’s the first to be slammed.

Fickle thing footy.
RFC has won against very average opposition. Sydney & North, with 10 or 11 players not playing particularly well. Rioli, Lynch, JR, Kmac, Pickett, Graham, Soldo, Naish etc But a loss really highlights players' deficiencies. Graham's tackle numbers are good, he doesn't get the ball much & his free kicks against annoy the crap out of me. Is he fit? Should Ross or RCD being playing in his spot?
TBH Graham wasn't the problem in front of goal but I want to be fielding a team that can win.

So Richmond wins, he gets praised.
Richmond lose, he’s the first to be slammed.

Fickle thing footy.
He was poor on the wing in earlier games, which was acknowledged by all. Put in the guts with Prestia and Cotchin out, as it is his only position, and was good enough against Swans and North, who had very average midfields (Swans lost Kennedy early on). But last night against quality he was shown up by with his lack of speed and polish. Bolton who is playing his first few games in the middle was probably best on at half time in comparison. It's not really fickle, but more being shown up for what he is, a good honest footballer.

I am not selling out on this bloke at all. He is good at some things, not as good at other things but you can see why the selectors love him, some of his efforts to contest and tackle last night were really brave and committed.

If say Adelaide offered us a low 20’s pick for him, would we take it? He is a reasonably unique player imo in that he is very high pressure and low possession but can hurt you with his possessions. He is probably what the Crows need and could we build a new midfield post Edwards and Cotchin without him?

We need to find out about RCD, eventually Dow will play, Stack in the guts, Ross surely gets back to being an inside mid, and Prestia and Martin probably have a fair bit of footy left. English may also have a future yet for us. Bolton is doing nicely in there though he is a forward runner, he is good at it.

Just wondering if he is worth trading and what we might get for him...

A slow inside mid averaging 12 touches a game?

They have Matt crouch doing the same thing but punching out 25+ a game, and he’s on their fringe at the worst team in the comp at the moment.

We’d be extremely lucky to get pick 60 for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope you’re right but I’m not so sure. Rossy was great when he debuted but not so great since. Graham is a solid footballer who I think is still battling through with a bung shoulder
Wouldn't mind seeing Ross for Graham for a few weeks. Experiment with Ross being a HBF didn't work.

No consistency with him game to game my issue.
Never truer words spoken.
Zero consistency.
Has played some excellent games, standouts, but has played a helluva lot of poor ones and one of those what last night.
Not sure what it is mate, but some can just never concede a game was poor, they have to go searching and scratching for a stat to try and prop up a poor performance. Anyone who knows football knows he was poor last night.

A slow inside mid averaging 12 touches a game?

They have Matt crouch doing the same thing but punching out 25+ a game, and he’s on their fringe at the worst team in the comp at the moment.

We’d be extremely lucky to get pick 60 for him
If you like watching stats sheets rather than footy then you should be a Crows supporter. 😁

You would know considering you booed one of your great servants into retirement Paul Salmon.

I thought Salmon was traded to Hawthorn which was before my footballing supportership.

Never truer words spoken.
Zero consistency.
Has played some excellent games, standouts, but has played a helluva lot of poor ones and one of those what last night.
Not sure what it is mate, but some can just never concede a game was poor, they have to go searching and scratching for a stat to try and prop up a poor performance. Anyone who knows football knows he was poor last night.
spot on, fumbled, couldn't mark overhead, scrubby single digit disposals, careless clumsy tackling....i cringed at seeing graham running around a second late to the contest several times last night. had a few mates of course.

Well and good but with Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards to come back into the midfield with Bolton flying past him and Pickett slowly improving (and a much better footballer), where do you see him playing down the track. Not to mention Ross and RCD waiting in the wings. Happy to see him playing in the guts for the time being, because he is playing for his career if that is not being to dramatic. But against a class midfield he was pretty ineffectual.

Personally I would be getting Edwards and Cotchin out of there. Edwards more time spent forward and Cotch to the backline and conserve their bodies for the most part of the season ala Hodge and Hawthorn during their three-peat. While i acknowledge Graham wasn't good enough last night I don't buy the notion he doesn't find the footy enough to justify his selection for two reasons. Firstly we are low possession so anyone getting around 16-20 touches a game is good enough which Graham generally gets around. Secondly he spends less time on the ground for most of his team mates which obviously effects his disposal count but it does enable Martin to go forward and have zero defensive game and it also means Graham is constantly running at a high speed and putting enormous pressure on the opposition. We don't have access to Champion Data pressure points but if we did I would surprised if Graham didn't feature within the top 5 for midfielders.

In saying that if Ross, RCD, Stack and Dow do prove better options going forward than that to me says we in a very good position as when talking about bottom 6 players if Graham is one of them than that means you have a strong team.

Personally I would be getting Edwards and Cotchin out of there. Edwards more time spent forward and Cotch to the backline and conserve their bodies for the most part of the season ala Hodge and Hawthorn during their three-peat. While i acknowledge Graham wasn't good enough last night I don't buy the notion he doesn't find the footy enough to justify his selection for two reasons. Firstly we are low possession so anyone getting around 16-20 touches a game is good enough which Graham generally gets around. Secondly he spends less time on the ground for most of his team mates which obviously effects his disposal count but it does enable Martin to go forward and have zero defensive game and it also means Graham is constantly running at a high speed and putting enormous pressure on the opposition. We don't have access to Champion Data pressure points but if we did I would surprised if Graham didn't feature within the top 5 for midfielders.

In saying that if Ross, RCD, Stack and Dow do prove better options going forward than that to me says we in a very good position as when talking about bottom 6 players if Graham is one of them than that means you have a strong team.
The bottom line is we have a good crop of midfielders. The obvious one's with a good crop of young maybe's, Bolton, Stack, Ross, RCD, Dow coming through, all with far greater upside than Graham, plus others on the cusp like Pickett. But it doesn't always go to plan, so if Graham can make his mark now while a few are missing then he may well cement a spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - MOVED TO WCE - PICK 42 Received

Remove this Banner Ad

Back