Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Cotch with his troublesome hammies and JGraham with his troublesome shoulders...
I don't think one season makes troublesome hammies. Hopefully he can do some work over pre season to sort them out. And Grahams strapped shoulder seems to hold up ok, he'll just have to strap both.

I will never forget what Fridge did in the Preliminary Final. Is now a legend of the club :heart:

Tiger Jack Graham has opened up on his Grand Final heartache, declaring it will drive him in his recovery from shoulder surgery as he aims to get back to the big stage with the premiers next year.
The heartbreaking tale of Richmond’s finals campaign, Graham also revealed the special moment he shared with the man who replaced him in the Grand Final team and went on to become one of the great premiership stories.
Graham missed out on the chance to win a second premiership medallion after he was ruled out of the Grand Final against Greater Western Sydney after dislocating his shoulder in the team’s preliminary final win over Geelong

The 21-year-old injured his shoulder in the first quarter of the preliminary final, but bravely played out the match with the joint heavily strapped.

Graham admitted the last few months has been challenging as he came to terms with what he had missed out on.
“It was pretty tough,” Graham said of missing out on the premiership win.
“Deep down, I knew that I wasn’t going to play once the doc told me he hadn’t really sent anyone out on the ground the following week with a dislocated shoulder.

“I knew deep down that I was probably not going to play, so just trying to take all that in and digest it was pretty hard.

“During the week I kind of accepted that I wasn’t playing and got around the boys and tried to soak it all in, but on game day sitting in the stands knowing that I should be out there playing was pretty hard to watch.”
Graham’s injury misfortune opened the door for the Tigers to name 27-year-old mid-season recruit Marlion Pickett for his AFL debut in the Grand Final.
Pickett went on to deliver an eye-catching AFL entrance in the Grand Final, finishing third in the voting for the Norm Smith Medal with his 22 disposals and one goal.

Graham said he couldn’t have been happier for Pickett and told of how they shared a celebratory moment in the rooms together after the premiership win.
“I couldn’t be any more rapt for Marlion because he is such a great player and … it is just amazing how it all worked out and for his journey and for him to experience that,” Graham said.
“For him to celebrate with the boys after one game is crazy and he is going to be a great player for us (next) year and I’m really looking forward to what he can do because we’ve already seen what he can do in one game in front of the biggest crowd.
“We shared a moment and just thought ‘How good is this?’. I was lucky enough to do it (win 2017 premiership) in my fifth game, he did it in his first game … it’s a great story.”

After his off-season shoulder surgery – his second in as many years – Graham is back on light duties at pre-season training, but will not be able to resume contact work until mid-January.
Having experienced the ultimate football heartache, Graham said he was more driven than ever for his pre-season campaign.
“I’m really motivated. It’s a bit hard being in rehab … but I’m just doing everything I can to maintain my fitness and get ready for 2020,” the preliminary final hero said.
“Even though (2017) was only my fifth game … that feeling you definitely want it and that’s why we all play footy is to win premierships with the team.

“It was definitely hard watching but I’m just rapt for the football club and rapt for the boys to experience that feeling.”
Graham said he hoped to be fit for the start of the pre-season competition.
“I will aim to be back for the first JLT and speaking with the physios, that’s definitely on the cards, but we’ve just got to see how it goes once we ramp up the contact work,” he said.
“It’s tracking nicely, obviously still pretty sore and I don’t have much movement of range. I’m back at about 80 per cent speed running so I can still get a few more k’s in my legs, but obviously all the contact stuff and running will be the middle of January to early Feb away.”

I absolutely love him for his effort in the prelim last year, but I'm also concerned it might carry him through selection a few times when he may not deserve it.

He was non existent last night for large parts

Yep he’s always been slow but he’s gotten even slower. Runs over and fumbles the ball to often as well. Think we have better options and hope we look at them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked all at sea last night and was poor v Carlton also. He’s lack of pace is a big problem.
Indeed and given we have hardness and class in the midfield with Ross, RCD and now Dow snapping at his heels for centre/utility mids, he would want to start finding the pill. But it is only on game in really.

We all can see he's not a wing-man, he needs to play in the guts he's a clearance/contest possession winning player. ATM he can't get a sustained run in the middle with Cotch, Martin, Prestia, Edwards, Lambert, Bolton all ahead of him. It seems Dimma and the coaches rate him, so they are trying to fit him in. Can he be turned into mid-sized half foward? Good size tough tackling, has hit the score board in the past but his lack of pace hurts him. He may have to wait before he gets a run in his preferred position, obviously the question will be is he good enough to hold out guys like Ross who is a similar player.

We all can see he's not a wing-man, he needs to play in the guts he's a clearance/contest possession winning player. ATM he can't get a sustained run in the middle with Cotch, Martin, Prestia, Edwards, Lambert, Bolton all ahead of him. It seems Dimma and the coaches rate him, so they are trying to fit him in. Can he be turned into mid-sized half foward? Good size tough tackling, has hit the score board in the past but his lack of pace hurts him. He may have to wait before he gets a run in his preferred position, obviously the question will be is he good enough to hold out guys like Ross who is a similar player.

Problem is that he can’t get the ball when he does go into the midfield. He’s probably only had 20+ touches a handful of time.

You can be slow and a ball winner.

You can be fast and not a ball winner.

You cannot be slow and not a ball winner.

He’s made a great contribution to this club, but we’ve got young players that offer more and I just hope they aren’t avoided opportunities just because of the 2017 GF or the 2019 prelim.

Problem is that he can’t get the ball when he does go into the midfield. He’s probably only had 20+ touches a handful of time.

You can be slow and a ball winner.

You can be fast and not a ball winner.

You cannot be slow and not a ball winner.

He’s made a great contribution to this club, but we’ve got young players that offer more and I just hope they aren’t avoided opportunities just because of the 2017 GF or the 2019 prelim.

I agree, he's not a prolific ball winner. One could argue that his not getting 20+ touches many times is due to limited game time in his preferred position but that's nit picking, I do agree with you. Miles for example was never fast, but he could accumulate and won clearances for a laugh. There are other examples throughout the comp of these types of players (Tom Mitchell)

I don't think Graham is keeping other players out, he'll be dropped at some stage if his form doesn't improve. But it's clear the coaching staff rate his toughness and tackling around the contest.

Nothing to see here. Grew into the game in the second half although his shoulder appeared to be causing him some grief. A couple of times he attempted a tackle and appeared to clutched at his shoulder as he got back to his feet.

If you are a slower player on the wing you need the footy smarts to make up for it ie. Caddy

Caddy isn't slow, from memory Caddy ran same times at draft as Lids. Hes slow off first couple of meters but he isnt slow.

Absolutely love Jack and think he will be right, probably best to give him a break and get his shoulder stronger and pop him back in late in season ready for finals!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back