Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Round 16 Richmond v Carlton: Jack Graham opens up on his future at Punt Road

Jon Ralph
June 30, 2024 5:30 am

Jack Graham finally caught a break against Hawthorn in the dying minutes of a Dustin Martin tribute game.

As Martin was being feted by his good mate Jack Riewoldt, Graham was dealing with another hamstring issue that saw him parked on the bench in the final minutes.

For unrestricted free agent Graham, another soft-tissue concern would have been an unmitigated disaster.

Finally he was able to allay the concerns of the Richmond medicos – this time it was only cramp.
Bullet dodged.

Another injury averted.

“Yeah, it was just a cramp. It was a bit of a scare for the medical team but it was only cramp. They wouldn’t let me go back on. There were only four minutes left but I was ready to go,” Graham said this week.

As Richmond takes on Carlton at the MCG on Sunday, the Tigers will hope to use the final nine weeks to build confidence in their brand and inject more games into the kids.

But for Graham, they could shape the second half of his AFL career.

Show Richmond and rivals he can still be that hard-running, hard-tackling powerful on-ball option and the offers could flood in from everywhere, given his unrestricted free agency status.

Cough and splutter to the end of the season and his leverage might just dry up.

Graham, 26, is thankful to at least be injury free, fully aware how much is riding on how he finishes his eighth AFL season.

“It was a frustrating start to the season. I have put three games together and the bye came at a good time to freshen up and then I can roll into the second half of the season,” he told the Herald Sun.

“I had my first full pre-season in a while and then in the bloody last 45 seconds of the Collingwood (pre-season) game I felt a stab in my quad.

“It put me back six or seven weeks then came back for two weeks and did a little hamstring.

“It wasn’t a major one but I wish it was so I could have put a straight line through me for 21 days. So I missed a week and then came back and re-did it. I took the two weeks off and have been back since trying to play some consistent footy.”

As an unrestricted free agent, it is the duty of his manager Marty Pask to at least assess the landscape for rival offers.

Even if they only boost his contract price.

Does he want to stay at Punt Road after two premierships in yellow and black under coach Adem Yze?

“Yeah, definitely. Obviously I am out of contract and the bye was a good time to talk about that. It was more about saying let’s play good footy and let the footy do the talking.

“I spoke with my manager because we hadn’t really had too many conversations and to be honest it was about getting on the park to show everybody what I can do. That is what the second half of the season is about. I want to get my body right and stay on the park and build confidence and then hopefully there is a hot patch coming up.”

If the timing of those injuries has been wretched, it is all about footy’s swings and roundabouts.

Graham famously played in an AFL premiership in his fifth game – tagging Rory Sloane and helping himself to three momentum-turning goals in the drought-breaking 2017 win over Adelaide.

He missed the 2019 premiership when he dislocated his shoulder in the prelim – opening the door for Marlion Pickett’s fairytale – before adding a second flag in 2020.

As Richmond recruited Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper at the end of 2022, Port Adelaide came hunting and Graham flew across the border to speak with Power coach Ken Hinkley.

The cameras quickly tracked down the former SA state under 18 captain.

“Last time I got caught in the media and I had that joke with Dimma (Damien Hardwick). He called me up and said, ‘I thought you were going to see your old man (in Adelaide)’. But my manager Marty had said this is an opportunity. I have told (list boss) Blair Hartley, he is across it. See what they have to offer. So that’s why I have a manager. Let them do the digging.”

Two years on, Graham says he has come to grips with playing that half forward-midfield role.

“I definitely think there is a role for me (at Richmond). It’s trying to find that balance.

“It’s playing mid and also going forward. It’s trying to play as a midfielder but also finding consistency if I have to roll forward. We have got some pretty good clearance players in Tim, Jacob, Shai Bolton and Thomson Dow. Here and there I am happy to go in and it’s making the most of my time in there.”

Graham took the chance across Richmond’s bye round to head back to South Australia with teammates Jayden Short and Kamdyn McIntosh, where fiancee Jordy May’s parents have a farm on the Eyre Peninsula.

A regular golfer – he is off a handicap of nine at Kew – he is prepared for a very different life post-footy.

“That is life after footy, going farming,” he says.

“Adelaide will always be home. So if I play one more year or six more years, Adelaide will be home. But the beauty of it is I love Melbourne. The night-life and cafes, there is so much going on here. But I also enjoy getting back to Adelaide. There is no traffic and everything is 20 minutes away.”

Carlton was once Richmond’s bunny and yet the Tigers will go into Sunday’s clash as a massive underdog.

But Graham’s message for the fans is that Yze is the man to lead them into the new era.

“It’s obviously been a tough season but ‘Ooze’ is a great coach. He is very calm. I have also seen a few sides of him come out on the bench when he’s been a bit frustrated but he’s an exciting new voice. He sees the game differently to Dimma and it is great to learn another way.

“Dimma taught us a lot. But Yze will teach us what is next and what comes in the future.”

AFL Round 16 Richmond v Carlton: Jack Graham opens up on his future at Punt Road

Jon Ralph

Jack Graham finally caught a break against Hawthorn in the dying minutes of a Dustin Martin tribute game.

As Martin was being feted by his good mate Jack Riewoldt, Graham was dealing with another hamstring issue that saw him parked on the bench in the final minutes.

For unrestricted free agent Graham, another soft-tissue concern would have been an unmitigated disaster.

Finally he was able to allay the concerns of the Richmond medicos – this time it was only cramp.
Bullet dodged.

Another injury averted.

“Yeah, it was just a cramp. It was a bit of a scare for the medical team but it was only cramp. They wouldn’t let me go back on. There were only four minutes left but I was ready to go,” Graham said this week.

As Richmond takes on Carlton at the MCG on Sunday, the Tigers will hope to use the final nine weeks to build confidence in their brand and inject more games into the kids.

Show Richmond and rivals he can still be that hard-running, hard-tackling powerful on-ball option and the offers could flood in from everywhere, given his unrestricted free agency status.

Graham, 26, is thankful to at least be injury free, fully aware how much is riding on how he finishes his eighth AFL season.

“It was a frustrating start to the season. I have put three games together and the bye came at a good time to freshen up and then I can roll into the second half of the season,” he told the Herald Sun.

“I had my first full pre-season in a while and then in the bloody last 45 seconds of the Collingwood (pre-season) game I felt a stab in my quad.

“It put me back six or seven weeks then came back for two weeks and did a little hamstring.

“It wasn’t a major one but I wish it was so I could have put a straight line through me for 21 days. So I missed a week and then came back and re-did it. I took the two weeks off and have been back since trying to play some consistent footy.”

As an unrestricted free agent, it is the duty of his manager Marty Pask to at least assess the landscape for rival offers.

Does he want to stay at Punt Road after two premierships in yellow and black under coach Adem Yze?

“Yeah, definitely. Obviously I am out of contract and the bye was a good time to talk about that. It was more about saying let’s play good footy and let the footy do the talking.

“I spoke with my manager because we hadn’t really had too many conversations and to be honest it was about getting on the park to show everybody what I can do. That is what the second half of the season is about. I want to get my body right and stay on the park and build confidence and then hopefully there is a hot patch coming up.”

If the timing of those injuries has been wretched, it is all about footy’s swings and roundabouts.

Graham famously played in an AFL premiership in his fifth game – tagging Rory Sloane and helping himself to three momentum-turning goals in the drought-breaking 2017 win over Adelaide.

He missed the 2019 premiership when he dislocated his shoulder in the prelim – opening the door for Marlion Pickett’s fairytale – before adding a second flag in 2020.

As Richmond recruited Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper at the end of 2022, Port Adelaide came hunting and Graham flew across the border to speak with Power coach Ken Hinkley.

“Last time I got caught in the media and I had that joke with Dimma (Damien Hardwick). He called me up and said, ‘I thought you were going to see your old man (in Adelaide)’. But my manager Marty had said this is an opportunity. I have told (list boss) Blair Hartley, he is across it. See what they have to offer. So that’s why I have a manager. Let them do the digging.”

Two years on, Graham says he has come to grips with playing that half forward-midfield role.

“I definitely think there is a role for me (at Richmond). It’s trying to find that balance.

“It’s playing mid and also going forward. It’s trying to play as a midfielder but also finding consistency if I have to roll forward. We have got some pretty good clearance players in Tim, Jacob, Shai Bolton and Thomson Dow. Here and there I am happy to go in and it’s making the most of my time in there.”

Graham took the chance across Richmond’s bye round to head back to South Australia with teammates Jayden Short and Kamdyn McIntosh, where fiancee Jordy May’s parents have a farm on the Eyre Peninsula.

A regular golfer – he is off a handicap of nine at Kew – he is prepared for a very different life post-footy.

“Adelaide will always be home. So if I play one more year or six more years, Adelaide will be home. But the beauty of it is I love Melbourne. The night-life and cafes, there is so much going on here. But I also enjoy getting back to Adelaide. There is no traffic and everything is 20 minutes away.”

Carlton was once Richmond’s bunny and yet the Tigers will go into Sunday’s clash as a massive underdog.

But Graham’s message for the fans is that Yze is the man to lead them into the new era.

“It’s obviously been a tough season but ‘Ooze’ is a great coach. He is very calm. I have also seen a few sides of him come out on the bench when he’s been a bit frustrated but he’s an exciting new voice. He sees the game differently to Dimma and it is great to learn another way.

“Dimma taught us a lot. But Yze will teach us what is next and what comes in the future.”
This is him telling us he has no club interested in him and he’s rubbing SnoYzes balls for a new contract. We need to be smart if this is case and delist him bc there are better players in the bush.

The bloke is not an AFL class inside mid, he is a  great transition 2 way runner who was genuinely part of why the team worked so well when it did. He is struggling this year
Great? He's not even good anymore. He struggled last year as well. And the year he played well - 2021 - as you said, we were awful. If he's such a great 2 way runner, why does he have absolutely no impact at all when the opposition have the ball?

He's simply not best 22 anymore. Nowhere near it. Yet he will continue to be picked regardless of how big or small our injury last is. There's no denying he's tough, but that alone shouldn't guarantee him a game.

Great? He's not even good anymore. He struggled last year as well. And the year he played well - 2021 - as you said, we were awful. If he's such a great 2 way runner, why does he have absolutely no impact at all when the opposition have the ball?

He's simply not best 22 anymore. Nowhere near it. Yet he will continue to be picked regardless of how big or small our injury last is. There's no denying he's tough, but that alone shouldn't guarantee him a game.

No impact when the opposition have the ball? Have a look at his pressure acts and tackles.

There is no doubt he is below his best output at present. Players have ups and downs. Some players lose what they had and never regain it, but way more often when guys dip sharply in their mid 20's it is for reasons that turn out to be temporary. Graham has done some pretty low time on ground the last 2 matches, 65% 70%, this would seem to indicate he is not fully fit. There will be a reason the club is playing him not fully fit in preference to options like Green, Cumberland, and it will probably have to do with running patterns and knowing how to play his role within our system where those guys wouldn't have it down as much. This is probably important when you are trying to bed young guys and new guys into positions all over the ground.

Richmond 2022-23-24: 26W 35L 43% win rate

With Graham 2022-23-24: 23W 25L 48% win rate

Without Graham 2022-23-24: 3W 10L 23% win rate

Cumberland 2022-23-24: 7.5W 16.5L 31% win rate

Believe it or not, the win rate doubles when Graham plays compared to when he doesn't play in the last 3 years SINCE he finished 2nd in the B & F 2021. So he can't be that much of a liability otherwise it would likely be the other way around.

Is just one example of why the selectors might stick with him a bit longer than his immediate form would suggest. When the team wins with certain combinations of players on the field together, it is because those players know how to execute their role to help the team win. It doesn't normally happen by accident.

No impact when the opposition have the ball? Have a look at his pressure acts and tackles.

There is no doubt he is below his best output at present. Players have ups and downs. Some players lose what they had and never regain it, but way more often when guys dip sharply in their mid 20's it is for reasons that turn out to be temporary. Graham has done some pretty low time on ground the last 2 matches, 65% 70%, this would seem to indicate he is not fully fit. There will be a reason the club is playing him not fully fit in preference to options like Green, Cumberland, and it will probably have to do with running patterns and knowing how to play his role within our system where those guys wouldn't have it down as much. This is probably important when you are trying to bed young guys and new guys into positions all over the ground.

Believe it or not, the win rate doubles when Graham plays compared to when he doesn't play in the last 3 years SINCE he finished 2nd in the B & F 2021. So he can't be that much of a liability otherwise it would likely be the other way around.

Is just one example of why the selectors might stick with him a bit longer than his immediate form would suggest. When the team wins with certain combinations of players on the field together, it is because those players know how to execute their role to help the team win. It doesn't normally happen by accident.
Seriously enough of the used car salesman pitch.....Yesterday we needed Jack Graham, Broad, Bolton, Nank, Dusty and Short to show the way.....

Good skippers game by Toby but pathetic by the others, cutting Dusty some slack as he looked in great discomfort. Taranto and Hooper have consistently performed well after returning from injury and even Jack Graham himself admitted he was in good nick after the bye. no good overhead, his lack of pace and penetration in his kicking means there is no role for him anymore and quite frankly we ran out of places to hide him 2 years ago.

Seriously enough of the used car salesman pitch.....Yesterday we needed Jack Graham, Broad, Bolton, Nank, Dusty and Short to show the way.....

Good skippers game by Toby but pathetic by the others, cutting Dusty some slack as he looked in great discomfort. Taranto and Hooper have consistently performed well after returning from injury and even Jack Graham himself admitted he was in good nick after the bye. no good overhead, his lack of pace and penetration in his kicking means there is no role for him anymore and quite frankly we ran out of places to hide him 2 years ago.
Agree pressure acts and things along its lines are all related to a player not having the ball and they are of only value if the whole team can all constantly apply these acts. ATM our side cannot sustain them for a full game and the senior players are letting us down. Pressure Acts mean in most cases we don't have the ball and they are useless if they are ineffective. It's now another indictment to JGTI game as he is often chasing and corralling his opponent to no avail, yet it records him as a PA. We don't even know which of the PA JGTI is effectively contributing in and either way he's been often found left for dead in his wake. Another example why stats can be misquoted by as you say used car salesmen.

Pressure Act (Corralling): The lowest form of pressure a player can apply, where they are simply occupying space in front of the ball carrier to prevent them moving forward, or have a run at them, but not quickly enough to record ‘closing’ pressure. Pressure Act (Closing): A higher degree of pressure than corralling, where the pressure player is on the verge of making contact with the ball carrier (either from in front or the side) as he disposals of the ball. The key point of difference between this and corralling is that there will be imminent contact and the pressure player is forcing the ball carrier to dispose of it immediately.
Pressure Act (Chasing): Where a player applies pressure from behind an opponent by chasing. They must be gaining ground or applying pressure significant enough to hurry the ball carrier to dispose of the ball. If the chasing player is on the verge of making physical contact from behind, then closing pressure will be imminent. Pressure Act (Physical): Applying direct physical contact to a player in the act of disposing of the ball or effecting a tackle that prevents an effective disposal from the ball carrier.
Pressure Chances: The number of opportunities a team had to apply pressure i.e. opposition disposals, including tackles that prevent an opposition disposal. Pressure Factor: Pressure points per pressure chance. Measure only at the team level.
Pressure Points: Weighed sum of pressure acts. Physical pressure acts are worth 3.75 points, closing acts are worth 2.25 points, chasing acts are 1.5 points and corralling are 1.2. Pressure Points Per Minute: Pressure points per minute of time on ground.

Pressure Act (Implied):
Reducing an opponent’s decision making time without physical contact ‘via corralling, closing space or chasing from behind’.

Respectfully suggest you get off the laptop and put away the spreadsheets and WATCH the game with your 👀.
Then you’ll see what most see.
A player who can’t keep up, is now a defensive liability, butchers the ball and has no penetration in his kick and is injured every third week.

Currently he is good at gut running to fill space and that’s about it.

He is always the player on the ground with the highest average speed in both attack and defence. It’s the sort of running that is highly valued in a good team with offensive stars to pickup his slack. In the current team he gets exposed for lack of any other weapons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Respectfully suggest you get off the laptop and put away the spreadsheets and WATCH the game with your 👀.
A player who can’t keep up, is now a defensive liability, butchers the ball and has no penetration in his kick and is injured every third week.
If Graham has played a worse game than what he produced yesterday I’ve missed it
Is a liability with no improvement left in him….the only way he gets a game going forward is to play as a genuine tagger and even then his lack of pace puts us a man down around stoppage

Currently he is good at gut running to fill space and that’s about it.

He is always the player on the ground with the highest average speed in both attack and defence. It’s the sort of running that is highly valued in a good team with offensive stars to pickup his slack. In the current team he gets exposed for lack of any other weapons.
it's an example where stats don't atually tell you anything.

The age of supercoach points and champion data have ruined the way a lot of people view footy

I have conceded his immediate form is no good. I am sure if the team wasn't enduring biblical level travails at the moment he would probably be undertaking extra conditioning and not playing at all, then introduced to the team when he was 100% right. If you haven't noticed we don't have that luxury at the moment.

If Graham has played a worse game than what he produced yesterday I’ve missed it
Is a liability with no improvement left in him….the only way he gets a game going forward is to play as a genuine tagger and even then his lack of pace puts us a man down around stoppage
he can tag someone in the VFL..
if he plays seniors in front of Smith again we are going backwards.
he's cooked and it's over!

I have conceded his immediate form is no good. I am sure if the team wasn't enduring biblical level travails at the moment he would probably be undertaking extra conditioning and not playing at all, then introduced to the team when he was 100% right. If you haven't noticed we don't have that luxury at the moment.

Couldn't care if we have four players outside the 22 available or nine like the weekend, he needs to play reserves and get a kick.
'Immediate' form???
He's been woeful for three years.

Couldn't care if we have four players outside the 22 available or nine like the weekend, he needs to play reserves and get a kick.
'Immediate' form???
He's been woeful for three years.

He hasn't been "woeful for 3 years" that is patently ludicrous. I have already shown how the team's winning rate is double when he has played compared to when he hasn't played in that period. If you expect Jack Graham to be peak Dustin Martin then yes, he is woefully short of that, but almost every AFL footballer is. If you judge him by a more reasonable standard, ie v his salary, probably around $500k, he has been somewhere in that ball park over the last 3-4 years, no problem. With players like this you need to look at what they do with the ball in hand, ie how many disposals and what effect they have(Graham would not really be above average in his role in this area) then add back what the guy does without the ball in hand, ie pressure acts and tackling etc. He is outstanding in his role in these areas, and by outstanding I mean in the best few in the AFL. Notwithstanding his current poor form of course.

He hasn't been "woeful for 3 years" that is patently ludicrous. I have already shown how the team's winning rate is double when he has played compared to when he hasn't played in that period. If you expect Jack Graham to be peak Dustin Martin then yes, he is woefully short of that, but almost every AFL footballer is. If you judge him by a more reasonable standard, ie v his salary, probably around $500k, he has been somewhere in that ball park over the last 3-4 years, no problem. With players like this you need to look at what they do with the ball in hand, ie how many disposals and what effect they have(Graham would not really be above average in his role in this area) then add back what the guy does without the ball in hand, ie pressure acts and tackling etc. He is outstanding in his role in these areas, and by outstanding I mean in the best few in the AFL. Notwithstanding his current poor form of course.
Current poor form .. that stretches three years.
Everyone on here sees it.

You should give Marty Pask a call and ask for a job as you'd do a good job of spruiking Graham to other clubs.
Ultimately, you can throw all the stats at me, all the various percentages to try and convince me how important he is and has been. It doesn't pass the eye test though. Ever since our older players started to struggle, so did Graham but the problem is, he is only 26... Graham isn't a good enough player to be an automatic inclusion into the best 22 and it's really disappointing that the match committee is sending an opposite message.

The defenders of Graham always say "we have bigger problems" but I can honestly say that we don't. Yes we have heaps of injuries but when our senior players like Graham and Short can't actually contribute meaningfully to the game, they need to be replaced by players that are performing at the lower level. As it actually puts pressure on them to pull their finger out and play better. I'm no KMAC fan but after he got dropped to the two's he has been better since coming back into the team. Still not great, but better.

Graham did a lot for this club and I'll always look back on that fondly, but his time is up and it's time to move on.

Jon Ralph

Bullet dodged.

Another injury averted.

Richmond is so big they even write about this bloke who has been truly woeful 🤣🤣

You should give Marty Pask a call and ask for a job as you'd do a good job of spruiking Graham to other clubs.
Ultimately, you can throw all the stats at me, all the various percentages to try and convince me how important he is and has been. It doesn't pass the eye test though. Ever since our older players started to struggle, so did Graham but the problem is, he is only 26... Graham isn't a good enough player to be an automatic inclusion into the best 22 and it's really disappointing that the match committee is sending an opposite message.

The defenders of Graham always say "we have bigger problems" but I can honestly say that we don't. Yes we have heaps of injuries but when our senior players like Graham and Short can't actually contribute meaningfully to the game, they need to be replaced by players that are performing at the lower level. As it actually puts pressure on them to pull their finger out and play better. I'm no KMAC fan but after he got dropped to the two's he has been better since coming back into the team. Still not great, but better.

Graham did a lot for this club and I'll always look back on that fondly, but his time is up and it's time to move on.

So Graham doesn't pass the eye test yet you're constantly sprouting rubbish in the defence of Sonsie and Taranto.

You mean the message of being the hardest working player at the club who sacrifices more of his own game and plays the most uncompromising position on the ground.

Yeah we do have bigger problems. It wasn't Graham who was getting his ass handed to him in midfield during the third quarter yesterday whilst Cripps and Walsh did as they pleased.

it's an example where stats don't atually tell you anything.

The age of supercoach points and champion data have ruined the way a lot of people view footy
sometimes pressure stats are meaningless..... an optical illusion
(unless it's umpire rewarded or it causes a smother or a turnover)

Just like dressing up a pig in a mini skirt and putting lipstick on it

it's still a pig and that pig has NOT got the Sherrin in its hand

Remove this Banner Ad

Back