Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

History shows that in general throwing the kids to the wolves just makes them go backwards. Protecting them and bringing them on in a good atmosphere accelerates their development.
Well we are kinda throwing them to the wolves imo, with letting Bolton, Baker & Rioli leave.
Will leave a massive hole in the short-term, 3 those guys clearly in our best 5 players at the club. looks like we will have to build from the ground up in the draft, because I can't see us even being as competitve as we were this year.

Well we are kinda throwing them to the wolves imo, with letting Bolton, Baker & Rioli leave.
Will leave a massive hole in the short-term, 3 those guys clearly in our best 5 players at the club. looks like we will have to build from the ground up in the draft, because I can't see us even being as competitve as we were this year.
An injection like this could be a great thing for the overall team. Next year we could look competitive for the first few rounds but once June/July hits we will get some 10 goal plus killings as the kids tire. Though, if we build a beautiful core in the draft and pump at least 15 games into each first round kid, then we will be on the right track and can start to attract some extra talent wanting to ride the upswing.

That being said, thr fact the new CEO has said we don't need targets or goals has me worried that we are about set fire to the joint and be in for 30 years of 5 year plans

Not really. Teams that simply have to play the kids as their first up rotation tend to trash the kids and often 'ruin' their careers.

If you can play B- grade mature bodies instead of likely A grade immature players then the young guys can learn to play AFL, whilst not being smashed, getting their bodies hammered, losing confidence and learning poor habits. We have a heap of premiership players, and other mature bodies. Even our 2021 draftees should be just about mature bodies now.

It isn't about being any better next year. It is about speeding up the development of young players and them learning in a good environment. If we can draft a heap of talent and develop them well in 4 years they will be starting to be our main players.

We have a one off chance to rebuild quickly and with great depth in quality. Paying a silly price now to help that rebuild seems OK to me. For Graham I reckon it isn't about him being a world beater. It is about him playing a role that helps our new draftees develop.

Like I said I would be happy if we got pick 22 for him, and wouldn't be unhappy with him gong. But if he stays for overs and helps us build a brand new squad that will compete for the cup for a decade it's worth it.

Still a dud, not sure why people want to stick up for him, game has gone passed him.
One of the things that stood out to me this season was that no matter what injuries we had overall the team that put the jumper on worked hard as a minimum. I think with JG you get that. Important for incoming young men to have that ingrained. Just guessing though to be honest.
Equally the offer may have been put on the table knowing the state of WC list and bumping up our compensation for JG?

Not really. Teams that simply have to play the kids as their first up rotation tend to trash the kids and often 'ruin' their careers.

If you can play B- grade mature bodies instead of likely A grade immature players then the young guys can learn to play AFL, whilst not being smashed, getting their bodies hammered, losing confidence and learning poor habits. We have a heap of premiership players, and other mature bodies. Even our 2021 draftees should be just about mature bodies now.

It isn't about being any better next year. It is about speeding up the development of young players and them learning in a good environment. If we can draft a heap of talent and develop them well in 4 years they will be starting to be our main players.

We have a one off chance to rebuild quickly and with great depth in quality. Paying a silly price now to help that rebuild seems OK to me. For Graham I reckon it isn't about him being a world beater. It is about him playing a role that helps our new draftees develop.

Like I said I would be happy if we got pick 22 for him, and wouldn't be unhappy with him gong. But if he stays for overs and helps us build a brand new squad that will compete for the cup for a decade it's worth it.
Exactly, how will kids be exposed with a midfield of Taranto, Hopper and Prestia, who all do the heavy lifting. Young mids will be asked to do what Bolton has done, come in as support as part of rotations. MacAuliffe was eased in almost frustratingly last year, but he lacked the run. He will be better next season, Ross will be back so that is 5 strong mids. Pick up FOS for example and he plays half forward/midlfied, Jack Graham's role. Which of those two should Richmond pump games into next season?

In the Jack Graham thread innaresting he's not in discussions about best 5 players. Letting Graham Bolton, Baker & Rioli leave. ... for insane draft picks is the other side of the coin.
Martin, Grimes, Pickett retire anyhow. May as well maximise a good couple of drafts.
We've been drafting 6 footers for years so we got a ton of good replacements
Rioli by Smith/Hugo.
3 half fwds/mids... A fit Clarke, Sonsie, Ross, MRJ in Shai's spot.
Then Hopper & Taranto will roll fwd as the new kids come in and come on.

Lynch, Gibcus & others play 22 games, we will improve. Look at stats for the last game, and the whole year, a ton of contested ball, lots of fwd 50 entries for 10 goals.

Exactly, how will kids be exposed with a midfield of Taranto, Hopper and Prestia, who all do the heavy lifting. Young mids will be asked to do what Bolton has done, come in as support as part of rotations. MacAuliffe was eased in almost frustratingly last year, but he lacked the run. He will be better next season, Ross will be back so that is 5 strong mids. Pick up FOS for example and he plays half forward/midlfied, Jack Graham's role. Which of those two should Richmond pump games into next season?

I would hope that Ooze and his crew will really ensure that the young guys get game time, in the areas they need for development. I think that in 2024 we still had a belief that we should be in finals. The coaching group was ... problematic.

In 2025 and the next few years we should be focusing on developing our next contending team rather than winning games. Not that we should stop trying to win as many games as we can. But we should focus on developing a team for around 2028 when our young guys should be coming through.

If we keep on trying to play our mature guys as part of 'winning now' we have lost the plot. The mature players are now there to help the younger guys develop. A lot of supporters will hate that. But if we can play FOS etc in their key role for about 1/3 of the time then it should help them develop. We will lose games because of not playing the older guys all the time. But I damn well hope that is what happens.

oh yeah, as well the older guys will be injured for periods of time :devil:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would hope that Ooze and his crew will really ensure that the young guys get game time, in the areas they need for development. I think that in 2024 we still had a belief that we should be in finals. The coaching group was ... problematic.

In 2025 and the next few years we should be focusing on developing our next contending team rather than winning games. Not that we should stop trying to win as many games as we can. But we should focus on developing a team for around 2028 when our young guys should be coming through.

If we keep on trying to play our mature guys as part of 'winning now' we have lost the plot. The mature players are now there to help the younger guys develop. A lot of supporters will hate that. But if we can play FOS etc in their key role for about 1/3 of the time then it should help them develop. We will lose games because of not playing the older guys all the time. But I damn well hope that is what happens.
And therefore getting a decent deal for Graham now is necessary, because he will not be a part of going forward to any grea degree. We could get a pick under or around 30 for Graham, not so next year.

And therefore getting a decent deal for Graham now is necessary, because he will not be a part of going forward to any grea degree. We could get a pick under or around 30 for Graham, not so next year.

Hmm. As I said his value to us is as a mentor and to fill a role whilst the young guys come up to speed. He is not part of going forward, except as a guy who helps the next generation. And that is his value.

Interesting decision making for the Footy Dept. How many players of what type can we lose and still have a great environment to develop our draftees. Maybe Graham is part of that, maybe not. My opinion is that he is worth keeping for that role, unless we get a good return. If we can get the 2nd round compo then losing him is OK with me - this year. That'll probably get a future first.

I don't know the insides of our list and strategy. But i can see why we would keep JGTI, and why we would be happy to lose him for the right return.

Hmm. As I said his value to us is as a mentor and to fill a role whilst the young guys come up to speed. He is not part of going forward, except as a guy who helps the next generation. And that is his value.

Interesting decision making for the Footy Dept. How many players of what type can we lose and still have a great environment to develop our draftees. Maybe Graham is part of that, maybe not. My opinion is that he is worth keeping for that role, unless we get a good return. If we can get the 2nd round compo then losing him is OK with me - this year. That'll probably get a future first.

I don't know the insides of our list and strategy. But i can see why we would keep JGTI, and why we would be happy to lose him for the right return.
If we match WC's supposed offer of 4 years, it will be more than just a year of 'mentoring'. We have plenty of mentors.

My opinion is that he is worth keeping for that role, unless we get a good return. If we can get the 2nd round compo then losing him is OK with me - this year. That'll probably get a future first.
The problem is, if we keep him, we'll play him. So he'll be keeping a young developing midfielder out of the team. And we've already got enough guys (Prestia, Taranto, Hopper) who aren't quick.

I don’t know what’s worse now. The thought of JGTI staying or the thought of people discussing him staying and being a valuable member of the team to support the kids. If we go by his injury history then the only support will be reading them bedside stories. 😂

I don’t know what’s worse now. The thought of JGTI staying or the thought of people discussing him staying and being a valuable member of the team to support the kids. If we go by his injury history then the only support will be reading them bedside stories. 😂
His position would literally be one of the first I’d open up to a draftee showing a bit

Jack
Word is we tabled the 4y to maximize our compo

If true & backfires, will be utterly embarrasing for the club. We have legit great players in Bolton, Rioli & Baker asking to be traded, guaranteeing us 1st rounders & we end up re-signing a one dimensional roleplayer for 4years to what, try & get another first round pick? Add to that the Eagles dont even have a coach atm & a new one can be hired who could poopoo JG completely & then we are stuck honoring a deal that we dont want to give? I think the club has no ****ing idea what its doing to be honest. If you told me we could get a 2nd-namd compo pick for Graham 6 months ago i would have been thrilled.

If the Eagles hire a coach who actually has a clue & they rescind the offer - we are stuck with a 4 year deal on the table that NO OTHER CLUB will even half consider matching. After years of letting good players like Butler leave for nothing, trying to play hardball on a broken & busted Jack Graham is stupidity at its finest.

Last edited:
I think the purpose is to deliberately concoct a worse deal to take the pressure and focus off the Hopper deal.

jack would have 3 beauties.... but he'd run out of material in a week
1. how i towelled up sloan and nearly got the norm
2. helped tigers win a pelim with my shoulder almost shattered
3. got 30 possies tagging lockie neale even tho he got 47 and the 3 votes

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back