Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

JGTI

Jack Graham Time Invalidated

Shoo

i have been a big critic of graham i say good luck to him but seriously why would west coast want him he is one of the slowest players in the afl also he does not get much of the ball for a midfielder that means he is 2nd to the ball all the time i can see west coast delisting him after 2 seasons and cutting their losses he is not for the modern game anymore i just don't know what they see in him

i have been a big critic of graham i say good luck to him but seriously why would west coast want him he is one of the slowest players in the afl also he does not get much of the ball for a midfielder that means he is 2nd to the ball all the time i can see west coast delisting him after 2 seasons and cutting their losses he is not for the modern game anymore i just don't know what they see in him
the 3 or 4 times a year he gets in the clear and hits a leading target does look good, however too few and far between now.

he's too slow to catch most oppo now these days and when he does stick one its always a crunching one, which the soft AFL are trying to outlaw.

his running power is good when fully fit but those hard fast tracks over in the west won't be kind on his brittle bones and flimsy quads and hammies.

Thanks for your services Jack, good luck, you gunna need it.

Suns game, last round, among all players, JGTI 2nd fastest top speed. 32.4kmh . & No 1 for Average speed. 9.5; No.1 player for work rate in attack.

Deceptively motors around more than you'd think.

Better as half forward than mid.

Let's not bash a player that has made the most of his talent, has played good football over a long time and has a few medals around his neck. Yes he was gifted games and played when he should not have, especially given he has to be 100% to reach that good level, but that is not his fault.

Happy for him to snag a 4 year deal, happy to see him gone because he is not part of the future, but lets not exaggerate how bad a player he is when he is up and running.

He does a lot of the grunt work to ensure that a midfield is defensively sound and gets from spot to spot to provide that outnumber and option.

To me what that says is that JGTI will bring that to the WC midfield, which doesn't have players doing that hard work.

Or in other words WC see their midfield as unbalanced and with a poor workrate. He fills a hole where their current players simply won't do the unrewarded work. That would be my best guess.

Which if I am right is a damning indictment (WTF is there a c in indictment? I don't say indicT-ment) on the WC culture and development of their mids.

He does a lot of the grunt work to ensure that a midfield is defensively sound and gets from spot to spot to provide that outnumber and option.

To me what that says is that JGTI will bring that to the WC midfield, which doesn't have players doing that hard work.

Or in other words WC see their midfield as unbalanced and with a poor workrate. He fills a hole where their current players simply won't do the unrewarded work. That would be my best guess.

Which if I am right is a damning indictment (WTF is there a c in indictment? I don't say indicT-ment) on the WC culture and development of their mids.

Vaguely speaking, it is because English was borrowing different versions of this word from old and new versions of latin and french, which is itself a latin based language. In the final shake up in the 17th century(which is unlikely to be absolutely final) we elected to re-adopt most of the original latin spelling from the word indictare(to accuse, in writing) but retain the french pronunciation from the derived word enditer, which means to write but is less specifically legal.

So sort of this progression:

Biblical times - latin term indictare roughly similar meaning to indict. It was pronounce phonetically like the related word dictate.

Middle ages - french rendered this term into several forms, principally enditer, pronounced something like the modern english indict. English borrowed the term from french.

1600ish - English legal professors etc din't think this french word was legal enough sounding given versions of it were being used for non-legal purposes, indicate, dictate, so they re-adopted the original latin spelling, but retained the french pronunciation.

Hope that is as clear as the AFL's explanation of ARC gate for you Dr T. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back