AFL Player #35: Matt Guelfi - Re-signs on a 2 year deal! Teenage girl fans rejoyce - 30/8

Remove this Banner Ad

amazing the beat down in the perkins thread, yet nothing here...
Probably because Perkins gas been putrid since his return from injury whereas Guelfi has been serviceable at worst over that period.

Both were ordinary last night but Guelfi"s recent body of work gives him a bit of leeway.

amazing the beat down in the perkins thread, yet nothing here...

Probably because Guelfi actually gives a shit and contributes meaningfully to the side while Perkins is fast becoming a bust.

Guelfi had more disposals, tackles and clearances as a small forward than Perkins as a midfielder.

Didn’t have a strong second half (did any forwards?). I thought his first half was top notch for a pressure small forward. Lunging tackle set up Gresham goal and that smother handball combination was unreal

intruding - but what a game he had tonight - 15 touches @ 93% efficiency, 10 score involvements. Brought great pressure too. Very crafty and skilled player. Super impressed with him tonight.
when he’s on he’s very inportant to our foewrd line, very smart play tongjt

Games like last night is where we need Matt and Jade to make more of an impact. You would have thought he was 200cm last night the way he played.

We badly need the Davey boys up and running.

15 goals, 11 assists from 11 games whilst also being our best pressure forward. He had a bad game but his last 34 games since being moved forward halfway through 2022 he's kicked 41 goals, 18 assists and averaged 1.4 TI50 per game. Needs support in the pressure stakes.

i don't really think he applies much pressure via being quite slow

probably some stat or number that says he has amazing pressure - i prefer to watch games.

probably some stat or number that says he has amazing pressure - i prefer to watch games.
same metric that Alwyn Davey is making a good fist of being a pressure small forward

implied pressure that is measure is not the same as actual, physical pressure

im with you. Watch games to see he is not the answer as much as we want him to be

So you can pretend that the stat is irrelevant?

He averages more TI50 than any other player on our list. He wouldn't be the best player at it at most clubs but all clubs would play him because he's good (not great) at it and still kicks goals most weeks. He's not the problem. Gresham, Perkins, Stringer, Langford and Hind are in this regard.

People wonder why Hind has been relegated to sub? It's because despite his pace, he's awful at applying pressure inside 50. Guelfi might be slower but his pressure is double that of Hind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 years is fine. Been best 22 as a small forward for 2 and a half years. No reason to think that won't be the case next year given he's currently our best small forward, and the year after if he's overtaken it's a good thing, as he's pretty solid in that role.

2 more years

List management is going full Oprah handing out these contracts
arnold schwarzenegger doubletake GIF

2 more years

List management is going full Oprah handing out these contracts

This is the ultimate ‘Brad doesn’t know what good looks like’ contract.

We’re not giving him a 2 year deal unless Brad thinks he’s a key plank.

He plays his role which is more than some can say. It's deserved.
He does it as well as he possibly could, no question.

Unfortunately having multiple presha small forwards who are below average pace is a bit like having a one legged man in an arse kicking competition.

Maybe the mix of him and Kako together works well, but I'm wincing at the thought of watching him and Menzies together.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #35: Matt Guelfi - Re-signs on a 2 year deal! Teenage girl fans rejoyce - 30/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back