AFL Player #36: Jayden Davey - Delisted - 23/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing, but Nayden seemed so far off even VFL the few times I saw him. And I'm not even a "keen observor" like others here but, even rookie MIGHT be generous.

Good luck to the kid.

Because they have a long track record of incompetent list management. Including this most recent administration in the last 12 months literally giving away an AA player for basically nothing, Then losing a good leader and AFL standard SF (Narkle ) to port to when The team desperately needed one. Then one of the best assistant coaches in the league left to go to a better run team.

Does my opinion matter? Do I have more information than the people making these decisions? No.

Does having the most information always lead to good decisions? Not always and until the club establishes themselves as an organisation worth trusting I think skepticism is the only reasonable position to take.
First off; I re-read my message and apologies if my reply felt personal/aggressive, it wasn't meant to rather shine a light on random posters opinions meaning not a lot. I'm also the ultimate skeptic so I'm very much with you in that sense :D

On those you mentioned I think Narkle was lucky to be drafted mid-season imo - he was not the dynamic player he was in his early career at Geelong and his subsequent delisting from Port shows he wasn't up to standard at the end of the day.

Ambrosio is one we see as a loss in hindsight and they happen more often than you think so we're not alone there. Blake Acres is a perfect example. An average player at two clubs who finally pulled his finger out and became what I consider arguably (outside of Cripps and Curnow) the most important person in Carlton's 22 due to his running ability late in games. St Kilda nor Freo got him right.

As for Caracella...I don't know happened between him and the club but I'm tipping it had Dodoro all over it and there seemed a rather bitter ending but ultimately in the time he was at Essendon I can't think of any real significant impact he had on our structure or development.

But I guess there's a question to be asked in 'What do people want from this club?' We ask it to be ruthless and when they are we jump up and down? For years we've tolerated such complete subservience as a support base having smoke blown up our collective dates. Now the reality has caught up to the club and we don't like what they're doing to fix it?

At the start of the year I said I would never buy a membership again until this club proved to me it was serious about being a professionally run business on and off the field. It seems to me that with these changes to both list and personnel that we're on the right path.

First off; I re-read my message and apologies if my reply felt personal/aggressive, it wasn't meant to rather shine a light on random posters opinions meaning not a lot. I'm also the ultimate skeptic so I'm very much with you in that sense :D

On those you mentioned I think Narkle was lucky to be drafted mid-season imo - he was not the dynamic player he was in his early career at Geelong and his subsequent delisting from Port shows he wasn't up to standard at the end of the day.

Ambrosio is one we see as a loss in hindsight and they happen more often than you think so we're not alone there. Blake Acres is a perfect example. An average player at two clubs who finally pulled his finger out and became what I consider arguably (outside of Cripps and Curnow) the most important person in Carlton's 22 due to his running ability late in games. St Kilda nor Freo got him right.

As for Caracella...I don't know happened between him and the club but I'm tipping it had Dodoro all over it and there seemed a rather bitter ending but ultimately in the time he was at Essendon I can't think of any real significant impact he had on our structure or development.

But I guess there's a question to be asked in 'What do people want from this club?' We ask it to be ruthless and when they are we jump up and down? For years we've tolerated such complete subservience as a support base having smoke blown up our collective dates. Now the reality has caught up to the club and we don't like what they're doing to fix it?

At the start of the year I said I would never buy a membership again until this club proved to me it was serious about being a professionally run business on and off the field. It seems to me that with these changes to both list and personnel that we're on the right path.

I wasn’t offended and didn’t think things came off too strong.

Honestly I hate the word Ruthless in regards to sporting teams. Absolutely hate it. Just screams entitlement to me.

What I want to see is competence, transparency and accountability.

This is how we’re following best practices, this is what we did well, this is what we did poorly.

Being generally competent while others make more mistakes can take you a long way in most fields.

As for the right path. I’m highly skeptical. Rosa’s off-season is looking good, but also we’re only a few months removed from Heppell not having a home send off because the club thought Weid was a better choice to help them make finals

For years we’ve been hearing about how Jayden was the talented twin so it seems insane to cut him vs continue to support and develop professionalism in a 20yr old kid who’s brain is 5 years away from being fully developed.

Last edited:
Do we know who made the call on D'Ambrosio? Dodo was still list manager, so is it possible he pushed to only give him 1 year, or was it someone else?
Story I know was Scott was happy to sign him. They thought 1 year would get it done. They let it sit. Hawks got into him very early. By time we matched the two years he had made up his mind. We got caught thinking he would take a 1 year deal.
Was another nail in the Dodoro coffin as he was the guy who was supposed to be on top of the contract stuff.

I wasn’t offended and didn’t think things came off too strong.

Honestly I hate the word Ruthless in regards to sporting teams. Absolutely hate it. Just screams entitlement to me.

What I want to see is competence, transparency and accountability.

This is how we’re following best practices, this is what we did well, this is what we did poorly.

Being generally competent while others make more mistakes can take you a long way in most fields.

As for the right path. I’m highly skeptical. Rosa’s off-season is looking good, but also we’re only a few months removed from Heppell not having a home send off because the club thought Weid was a better choice to help them make finals

For years we’ve been hearing about how Jayden was the talented twin so it seems insane to cut him vs continue to support and develop professionalism in a 20yr old kid who’s brain is 5 years away from being fully developed.
He was given every chance to prove he wanted it. List size is not 54 anymore. Playing maybe 11 good quarters in the VFL doesn’t cut it.
The president said at the B&F if you do not want to be professional you will not be at Essendon going forward.
Maybe if he did not complain so much about the workload and just got on with it he may still be around.

As for the Heppell send off. It was offered. Heppell turned it down.

Maybe he needed a bit of a wake up? I wonder if the club will have him training over the summer with the promise of a rookie spot if he shows he's willing to put in the effort.

Story I know was Scott was happy to sign him. They thought 1 year would get it done. They let it sit. Hawks got into him very early. By time we matched the two years he had made up his mind. We got caught thinking he would take a 1 year deal.
Was another nail in the Dodoro coffin as he was the guy who was supposed to be on top of the contract stuff.

So it was most likely Dodo calling the shots regarding D'Ambrosio's contract. We can't blame the others still at the club if that is the case.

So it was most likely Dodo calling the shots regarding D'Ambrosio's contract. We can't blame the others still at the club if that is the case.
They all should carry some blame but yes Dodoro was they guy in charge of making the contracts happen once they decided to offer him a deal. If they pushed earlier maybe his mind is not made up.

Davey showed little at VFL level to suggest he was going to explode at AFL level. Maybe being delisted will be the kick up the backside he needs to put his head down and do the work you need to do to make it at AFL level, maybe he'll get picked up at 24 again. Maybe he won't and he'll go on the long, long list of young kids with talent who can't make it at AFL level.

If he wasn't a F/S I doubt anyone would be bothered he was getting delisted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davey showed little at VFL level to suggest he was going to explode at AFL level. Maybe being delisted will be the kick up the backside he needs to put his head down and do the work you need to do to make it at AFL level, maybe he'll get picked up at 24 again. Maybe he won't and he'll go on the long, long list of young kids with talent who can't make it at AFL level.

If he wasn't a F/S I doubt anyone would be bothered he was getting delisted.
I think people that are getting hung up on his almost goal a game in the VFL need to put it in context. Menzie kicked 8 goals in 5 games in the VFL this year and looks a mile off if at AFL level this year.

I think people that are getting hung up on his almost goal a game in the VFL need to put it in context. Menzies kicked 8 goals in 5 games in the VFL this year and looks a mile off if at AFL level this year.
Sure, but what about Menzie?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #36: Jayden Davey - Delisted - 23/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back