Player Watch #36 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

Amartey 3.jpg

Joel Amartey
Joel Amartey has shown strong form in the ruck and as a key-position player at both ends of the ground since being drafted to the Sydney Swans as a rookie ahead of season 2018. The Ghanaian-Australian produced arguably his best performance of the 2019 season against Sydney University in Round 6, which saw him collect 42 hit-outs and a goal. In season 2020, he made his AFL debut against Brisbane Lions in Round 17 after producing some strong individual performances in scrimmage matches, and impressed with eight hit-outs and two inside 50.

Joel Amartey
DOB: 02 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #28, 2017 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Gram (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else think Amartey got his nine because Adelaide had been prepping the entire week for the goalscoring prowess of Heeney, Errol and Chad? Thus freeing up Amartey? I thought the crows gave Amartey lots of space and disrespected him.
I think it was more a case of they didn't have a KPD good enough. Who is Keane? Who did Murray play on? You might be right about the prep side of it though. His best game in all aspects though: aerial, ground, contest, tackle, accuracy. Take it when you can, ask Curnow about playing WCE and Norf twice.

Gee it's good to see Amartey proving his critics to be short-sighted and ignorant, heaping shit on a 28-gamer (pre-2024) who has never played a full season.

To those who saw the talent and believed. Cheers. You'll find your First Class seats at the front of the Amartey train. Toot toot.

I was pretty optimistic on Amartey improving solidly across April and May so seeing his progress has been a delight over the last six weeks.

I mean, it’s one thing for a guy to kick 9 in a massive 100 point win. But for a guy to do that in a game that was competitive for the bulk of it and one where the final margin was less than those 9 goals, that is very rare nowadays.

And although 9 is an outlier of course, a sign of last night being not out of absolutely nowhere is that he has kicked two or more goals in 9 of his last 11 games. He’s been consistently strong and competitive in the main this year. Loving him turning into a proper seniors player.

Does anyone else think Amartey got his nine because Adelaide had been prepping the entire week for the goalscoring prowess of Heeney, Errol and Chad? Thus freeing up Amartey? I thought the crows gave Amartey lots of space and disrespected him.

A number of his goals came from pack, contested marks or smart play so no I don't think that at all.

uGLNTD9.png
He played 2 years of junior footy with Ormond as well

Gee it's good to see Amartey proving his critics to be short-sighted and ignorant, heaping shit on a 28-gamer (pre-2024) who has never played a full season.

To those who saw the talent and believed. Cheers. You'll find your First Class seats at the front of the Amartey train. Toot toot.
Why is everyone ignorant if they don't agree with you !

Definitely some elements of this, but Amartey was also able to break away from congestion and was creating panic with his own marking prowess.

I think he made a lot of his own luck

Definitely some elements of this, but Amartey was also able to break away from congestion and was creating panic with his own marking prowess.

I think he made a lot of his own luck

Luck gets you maybe a goal or two, you dont kick 9 because the opposition just didnt rate you or it fell in your lap, like you said you make the luck, working hard,

He tackled well, he worked hard, late in the first half he spoiled in defence , he got the goals by working.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luck gets you maybe a goal or two, you dont kick 9 because the opposition just didnt rate you or it fell in your lap, like you said you make the luck, working hard,

He tackled well, he worked hard, late in the first half he spoiled in defence , he got the goals by working.

Oh yup 👍

You create your own opportunities, build the effort, create your own openings and you give yourself a greater chance of the ball falling your way.

He has done really well this year. Has been steadily building game by game. This one is somewhat of an aberration to the trend, but I think he will continue to get more and more solid.

The six tackles makes me confident he is still building - the big change has been is effort remaining more consistent across the 4 quarters.

He just needs to keep putting the effort in, and not try to kick a bag next week. Just keep doing the team things.

He has done really well this year. Has been steadily building game by game. This one is somewhat of an aberration to the trend, but I think he will continue to get more and more solid.

The six tackles makes me confident he is still building - the big change has been is effort remaining more consistent across the 4 quarters.

He just needs to keep putting the effort in, and not try to kick a bag next week. Just keep doing the team things.
TBH I don't think he was doing anything particularly different this game to others except perhaps playing closer to goal. Things came off for him. Saw the highlights of how much space his defender(s) gave him and he took full advantage. Your last 2 paras spot on.

images-15.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back