Player Watch #36 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

Amartey 3.jpg

Joel Amartey
Joel Amartey has shown strong form in the ruck and as a key-position player at both ends of the ground since being drafted to the Sydney Swans as a rookie ahead of season 2018. The Ghanaian-Australian produced arguably his best performance of the 2019 season against Sydney University in Round 6, which saw him collect 42 hit-outs and a goal. In season 2020, he made his AFL debut against Brisbane Lions in Round 17 after producing some strong individual performances in scrimmage matches, and impressed with eight hit-outs and two inside 50.

Joel Amartey
DOB: 02 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #28, 2017 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Gram (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonathan Brown last night asked whether Sydney can win a flag with Armatey & McLean as key forwards.

He clearly doesn’t rate either.

And given Joel has kicked 4 goals in the 8 weeks since the 9 goal game (and looked ineffective most of the time), I’m finding it hard not to share Brown’s concern.

C’mon Joel - prove Brown (and me) wrong.
I don't think we can win a flag when our first, second and third means of delivering the ball forward is long, aimless hoists from the centre line. That's not what we were doing for the first half of the season and, when we became desperate last night, it's what we stopped doing. Instead we somehow managed to create overlap run, started to aim at targets with shorter, lower passes from a player on the move, and took some risks.

None of our tall forwards are world beaters but they've shown they can be collectively effective with a decent method of moving the ball. I don't think any of them were the main problem last night (and especially not the week before). Indeed, I quite liked the way Amartey tried to present up the ground, and how he contested when the delivery game him a modicum of chance to contest.

I don't think we can win a flag when our first, second and third means of delivering the ball forward is long, aimless hoists from the centre line. That's not what we were doing for the first half of the season and, when we became desperate last night, it's what we stopped doing. Instead we somehow managed to create overlap run, started to aim at targets with shorter, lower passes from a player on the move, and took some risks.

None of our tall forwards are world beaters but they've shown they can be collectively effective with a decent method of moving the ball. I don't think any of them were the main problem last night (and especially not the week before). Indeed, I quite liked the way Amartey tried to present up the ground, and how he contested when the delivery game him a modicum of chance to contest.
Yes I think earlier in the season, we were working better as a unit. So our forwards had more space and able to have a one on one contest with their opponent.

Guys like Hayward, Amartey and McLean are still quite dangerous when they can isolate their opponent.

It’s the contested part I don’t agree with.

Our talls (all of them, including Grundy) were constantly outmarked.

Darcy Cameron was BoG. Frampton more than broke even. And Darcy Moore never looked like being beaten.

We simply can’t take a contested mark inside 50, so all our scores need to come from the mids either scoring or finding a loose (usually Hayward).

That won’t stand up in the heat of a big final. Armatey and McLean need to be viable targets when the mids are rushed - either mark it or bring it to ground. Last night they did neither.

The front half can not take a mark
In the last quarter Amarety had a 1v1 on the wing where he was in the best position, ended up not getting hands on the ball OR body on the defender, just weakly allowed the uncontested mark. I don't understand how he managed it

Playing McDonald down back probably doesn't help our fwd marking either

He went from picking and choosing when to compete whilst cherry picking easy goals, to now actually competing well but dropping easy sitters. FFS Joel string it together man.

Yeah he's only kicked 4 goals since the haul, but he's also left alot on the table.

He chases way harder than he used too and that last minute play to get the ball to Hayward wasn't a stat but important.

Hope he gets it all together the rest of the year could be a massive player for us

I was pretty disappointed with his performance yesterday. I can live with him not taking marks or kicking goals but so many occassions where he allowed his opponent to outmark him because he wasn't physical enough in ariel contests.

Laid a couple of great tackles and obviously kicked the winning goal but we really need more from this guy in the next 2 games. All I ask is that he provides enough of a contest to bring the ball to ground and he just wasn't able to do that yesterday. The GWS defenders just feasted off him.

We really don't have any other options though so just have to back him in to improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was pretty disappointed with his performance yesterday. I can live with him not taking marks or kicking goals but so many occassions where he allowed his opponent to outmark him because he wasn't physical enough in ariel contests.

Laid a couple of great tackles and obviously kicked the winning goal but we really need more from this guy in the next 2 games. All I ask is that he provides enough of a contest to bring the ball to ground and he just wasn't able to do that yesterday. The GWS defenders just feasted off him.

We really don't have any other options though so just have to back him in to improve.

25 still has time but honestly for a rookie pick in the 2nd round he is probably playing at his ceiling.

Probably a bigger question on why did horse play him if he's injured. This is the same mistake he made with Reid in 22 GF
The problem is Campbell was supposedly injured as well during the week and he came on and turned the game.

Papley came back after a decent injury break and looked really good. Mcinerney looked the opposite.

You just have to have faith that all the players go through the same tests and they wouldn't be so stupid as to send someone out who they know is going to be limited with injury.

The problem is Campbell was supposedly injured as well during the week and he came on and turned the game.

Papley came back after a decent injury break and looked really good. Mcinerney looked the opposite.

You just have to have faith that all the players go through the same tests and they wouldn't be so stupid as to send someone out who they know is going to be limited with injury.

Its very dependent on the player i feel and the position they play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #36 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back