Player Watch #36 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

Amartey 3.jpg

Joel Amartey
Joel Amartey has shown strong form in the ruck and as a key-position player at both ends of the ground since being drafted to the Sydney Swans as a rookie ahead of season 2018. The Ghanaian-Australian produced arguably his best performance of the 2019 season against Sydney University in Round 6, which saw him collect 42 hit-outs and a goal. In season 2020, he made his AFL debut against Brisbane Lions in Round 17 after producing some strong individual performances in scrimmage matches, and impressed with eight hit-outs and two inside 50.

Joel Amartey
DOB: 02 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #28, 2017 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Gram (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Last edited by a moderator:

His numbers don't look for pretty reading but on the positive side, he is competing both in the air and on the ground. He chases hard and applies pressure. If he's out of the side, then it means either Parker or Hayward have to take the 3rd tall defender which could be a mismatch. It also means when Mclean is providing a ruck chop out, we're left with only Logan as our tall target given Grundy is not a forward and rests on the bench.

I think there's enough to keep him in the side.

Probably a bigger question on why did horse play him if he's injured. This is the same mistake he made with Reid in 22 GF
The amount of players rolling ankles and playing would be countless

His numbers don't look for pretty reading but on the positive side, he is competing both in the air and on the ground. He chases hard and applies pressure. If he's out of the side, then it means either Parker or Hayward have to take the 3rd tall defender which could be a mismatch. It also means when Mclean is providing a ruck chop out, we're left with only Logan as our tall target given Grundy is not a forward and rests on the bench.

I think there's enough to keep him in the side.
Just don't think at this point we can consider changing things. Its a flag with 3 talls or its not. Too late to fiddle unless injuries force our hand.

Just don't think at this point we can consider changing things. Its a flag with 3 talls or its not. Too late to fiddle unless injuries force our hand.

yeah, and i don't have a problem with it ... it's how this team has evolved this year
we don't rely on them to kick winning scores, we have numerous other scoring options ... led by sharpshooter rampe
we've been the best team across the season with this three-tall set-up, it won't be tinkered with now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think what he has improved on this year is the workrate, so even when he isn't having an impact he chases and works hard now.

He just needs that early goal, a lot of it would work better if the midfield hit a target earlier too.

For all the criticism he is still winning the goal kicking

He played 28 games in 4 seasons and has managed 23 this year. If nothing else he finally got his body right and has improved greatly because of it.

Not consistent enough for mine but they have stuck with him all year.

In truth, I’m not sure Armatey gets a game with any other finalist.

He’s a flashy player who will have the odd good game among quite a few mediocre ones.

Our primary strengths lie elsewhere. And it’s probably not a bad thing - as a key forward that constantly demands the ball detracts from our primary strength - brilliant goal kicking mids.

In truth, I’m not sure Armatey gets a game with any other finalist.

He’s a flashy player who will have the odd good game among quite a few mediocre ones.

Our primary strengths lie elsewhere. And it’s probably not a bad thing - as a key forward that constantly demands the ball detracts from our primary strength - brilliant goal kicking mids.
He would be played over Chol at Hawthorn

He should be played over Hipwood at Brisbane (more my opinions on Hipwood than Amartey tbh)

He would be played over Dixon at Port if they don't select Marshall

As much as he disappoints me he's now part of our set up that has got us on top of the ladder and into a Prelim.
He takes a good defender , as does McLean and Logan has a more roving role which makes him hard to match up
They are nearly decoys for our smaller goal scorers

As much as he disappoints me he's now part of our set up that has got us on top of the ladder and into a Prelim.
He takes a good defender , as does McLean and Logan has a more roving role which makes him hard to match up
They are nearly decoys for our smaller goal scorers

two great points: 1) amartey (and mcdonald and mclean) are part of the way the team is set up, as has been the case all year ... and overall it seems to work more often than not in terms of wins and losses
2) not specifically decoys, but they do demand attention from opposition coaches/defences, meaning the likes of hayward and papley (both far, far more than just run-of-the-mill small/medium forwards) and our scoring midfielders pose a constant threat
and as to a previous point about amartey getting his body right and staying healthy ... it's almost as if this has been his first proper full season, so as long as he can maintain that, there is still a lot of improvement to come

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #36 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back