Delisted #36: Michael Hartley - Joins Hawthorne via the preseason draft - 29/11

Remove this Banner Ad

How good does his form look now?

He's either going to enable us to play Hooker forward or he will be part of a frighteningly dominant key defensive combination with Hurley and Hooker.

Does Gwilt survive?

I know Jimmy is a better suited 3rd tall but list management could enable us to delist him.

The idea is probably to play Hooker fwd now with Hartley and Hurley down back

Does Gwilt survive?

I know Jimmy is a better suited 3rd tall but list management could enable us to delist him.

The idea is probably to play Hooker fwd now with Hartley and Hurley down back
You still need depth. Gwilt survives as the 4th in line key defender/3rd tall.

Were going to have one of the best backlines again next year. Crazy good depth
If we draft Ferry (like I suspect we will), Hurley and Hibberd stay, our 2nd's defence could look like:

Ferry - Freezer (VFL listed) - Tipungwuti/Gleeson (honestly can't split them right now)
Morgan - Gwilt - Francis

That's pretty great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hasn't been much talk in general footy circles but Hartley is one of the recruits of the year for mine.
Top 2 mature-ager in this draft so far (along with Adams). Wagner, Brown, Walla and Davis not far behind.

For some context, how does his form stack up against Carlisle's 2013?

Reckon that they're pretty bloody close. Hartley has him covered for disposal and athleticism.

Still has some way to go with contested marking and general body positioning but at the current rate of improvement things are looking very good.

For some context, how does his form stack up against Carlisle's 2013?

Reckon that they're pretty bloody close. Hartley has him covered for disposal and athleticism.

Still has some way to go with contested marking and general body positioning but at the current rate of improvement things are looking very good.

I think Hartley is a better full back than Carlisle as he is a better spoiler and possibly better closing speed. Carlisle possibly a better CHB with his pack marking a feature.

Hartley has had his shoulder issues but Carlisle has back/hip issues so Hartley may now have a more sound body long term.

So ultimately we traded out a guy for pick 5 and were able to replace him fairly well with pick 68.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #36: Michael Hartley - Joins Hawthorne via the preseason draft - 29/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back