Player Watch #37: Cooper Harvey - syndesmosis injury vs Nthrn Bullants in VFL - will miss six weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, I would like to see him in the firsts before the end of this year as small forward.

Some players raise to the level when faced with oblivion - worth the chance IMO, not a lot to lose for the club.
Yeah would be an upgrade on RHJ at least

Geez if he can’t get a look in now I’m not sure he ever will.

Be interesting to see whether he is retained or not next year, especially with list spots at a premium.

Potentially drop back to the rookie list?

Cooper is just too slow to play AFL, especially off the mark.

He's got all the footy smarts in the world, watching him touch up Oisin Mullin on pure craft in his first game was something else.

If he had Oisin's pace and athleticism, he'd be the next Bont lol. But he doesn't so he's going to be a great VFL player.

Reckon he gets ditched and River takes his post as the speculative father/son on the list.

Another one on our list who doesn't work hard enough, has the talent, lacks the application.

How many of these types can we afford to carry, I suppose is the question.

Compare and contrast with Jacko Archer.

Compare and contrast with Jacko Archer.

Yep there's a little bit of chatter around the place that we have too many not invested enough in the actual game side of things. And Archer as you say isn't on that list.

I suppose anyone with eyes can tell those that are striving for improvement.

Apparently has real tickets on himself as well which is odd given the output. Interesting to see where he lands list wise.
Funny how it all works.

He'd have grown up hearing about how great he could be.

Plus having access to a fully kitted out home gym, the best of every thing as his dad tries to provide the opportunities he never had, his dad is an AFL GOAT, his potential is always talked up and he's a good looking rooster just to add to the ego coddling.

No matter what anyone could tell him about hard work and humility, the world was pumping his tyres so hard he went out there thinking it's all just going to fall into place like it always has.

He's the type you can imagine having his "wake up" at 35yo and realising it wasn't ever just going to fall into place.

It makes a case like GAJ all the more remarkable, to be able to withstand all that expectation, find his own voice and become a GOAT himself.

I'm making several assumptions from afar not knowing Cooper personally, but suspect I'm near the pin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seem to remember he was flying during pre-season and had some excellent pre-season games but got injured early in the season.

FWIW I'd give him another year. He is clean, a good user and a decent 1 vs 1 player.
Yeh 1 year is appropriate.

AFL role a big TBC.

Yep there's a little bit of chatter around the place that we have too many not invested enough in the actual game side of things. And Archer as you say isn't on that list.

I suppose anyone with eyes can tell those that are striving for improvement.

Last pre-pre-season (so September, October) I would go past Arden Street every day for work, kid drop off etc, often multiple times a day.

And I'd see Jacko Archer, Paul Curtis and Will Phillips there every day. Sometimes others like Kal Dawson too. But those three there doing extras religiously.

And Paul's improved his deficiencies noticeably - tackling and set shots. Jacko's put himself on an insane improvement trajectory and gone from fringe player to best 18 every week. Will has dramatically improved the endurance issues he had post illnesses.

Cooper doesn't understand the level of work he needs to put in to make it. If he was playing in the 1980s he'd probably end up klcking 400 league goals on raw ability aye.

But he's not, and River Stevens will come in and work his hole off to make it while Cooper and Uncle Shane sink piss at North Heidelberg

I seem to remember he was flying during pre-season and had some excellent pre-season games but got injured early in the season.

FWIW I'd give him another year. He is clean, a good user and a decent 1 vs 1 player.

Nah, no more passengers. Had his chance, squandered it.

Gee some harsh markers on here. Only 2 years on the list and been impacted by injury.
Showed some craft in his handful of AFL games and has proven to be a goal sneak at VFL level when fit.

Would definitely give him another year.

Yes, he doesn't put in the work required. Marked on that, and his marks are poor. Especially when compared to a Charlie Lazzaro who doesn't have anywhere near as much natural ability.

The '10s were littered with blokes we hung onto for years too long because they showed flashes now and then.

Nup, sorry Cooper, you had your chance at the big time and didn't put in the work. If he'd developed a reputation as a hard trainer with impeccable preperation, then things would be different.

Last edited:
lets face it .. from what he's done and is currently showing both with attitude and dedication both on and off the ground and in the VFL.. If he wasn't a Harvey he would be delisted this year but he won't. Rookie in 2025 . lock it in

Funny how it all works.

He'd have grown up hearing about how great he could be.

Plus having access to a fully kitted out home gym, the best of every thing as his dad tries to provide the opportunities he never had, his dad is an AFL GOAT, his potential is always talked up and he's a good looking rooster just to add to the ego coddling.

No matter what anyone could tell him about hard work and humility, the world was pumping his tyres so hard he went out there thinking it's all just going to fall into place like it always has.

He's the type you can imagine having his "wake up" at 35yo and realising it wasn't ever just going to fall into place.

It makes a case like GAJ all the more remarkable, to be able to withstand all that expectation, find his own voice and become a GOAT himself.

I'm making several assumptions from afar not knowing Cooper personally, but suspect I'm near the pin.
It's all about upbinging at the end of the day. Boomer is a great character by the look of it, but it doesn't mean that as a father he was able to push the right buttons and say the right things in the key moments. As a father of 4 myself I know how challenging this can be. On the other end of the scale we have the example of Harry Sheezel. The family is extremely well off, Toorak lifestyle, private school, yet the boy is raised in the most humble way possible, works his backside off from junior days and although he clearly has natural ability, it issn't necessarily his biggest asset. The way he's been brought up is, IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #37: Cooper Harvey - syndesmosis injury vs Nthrn Bullants in VFL - will miss six weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back