AFL Player #37: Nic Martin - Looks like he has a runny nose

Remove this Banner Ad

Its like Langford all over again
can’t fathom why we don’t just keep him on the wing. he was one of our best players last year coming off there. we’ve looked worse this year without him (and duursma tbf)

He isn't a defender. I don't give a **** what anyone says, you argue he's a defender you don't know anything about football and you deserve ridicule.

There are plenty of teams, good teams that play players that are just as bad defensively as Martin in the back half.

The issue is you have to cover for them, you have to get your handovers right and you have to actually mask the deficiencies.

You can find it, I said it pre season, the idea that we are mature and organised enough to pull this off successfully is absolutely laughable.

He’s not helping himself either, not everything has to be a look away kick pulled across his body when he’s running in the opposite direction. His basics have gone to shit.

He isn't a defender. I don't give a **** what anyone says, you argue he's a defender you don't know anything about football and you deserve ridicule.
And if you do not try things you will never develop long term. No he is not a defender. Will his game be better now he has had exposure in a different spot ? I say it has not hurt him . He now has a better understanding of defensive running.

Last edited:
Hopefully his kicking can return to what I thought it was last year. One thing with Nic you can see him try will us back into games and he takes ownership and wants to win us matches. The opposite of the deer in the headlights in big moments. Won us the Adelaide match, nearly won us Anzac Day in a number of plays and got us back in it on Sunday night.

Hopefully his kicking can return to what I thought it was last year. One thing with Nic you can see him try will us back into games and he takes ownership and wants to win us matches. The opposite of the deer in the headlights in big moments. Won us the Adelaide match, nearly won us Anzac Day in a number of plays and got us back in it on Sunday night.
Yeah hes got swagger, sometimes probably too much though which is why he can have shockers trying to pull off miracle kicks.

There are plenty of teams, good teams that play players that are just as bad defensively as Martin in the back half.

The issue is you have to cover for them, you have to get your handovers right and you have to actually mask the deficiencies.

You can find it, I said it pre season, the idea that we are mature and organised enough to pull this off successfully is absolutely laughable.

He’s not helping himself either, not everything has to be a look away kick pulled across his body when he’s running in the opposite direction. His basics have gone to shit.

I don't understand this.

It has nothing to do with 'us'. The balance of the defensive 6 to 7 has been fine and perfectly accommodated Martin, as much as any player not defensively sound who plays in defence (they all get exposed sometimes, it's inevitable).

He's just kicking the ball all over the place when his role requires him to kick the ball well. He simply needs to get his shit together or reset his understanding of his limitations.

I don't understand this.

It has nothing to do with 'us'. The balance of the defensive 6 to 7 has been fine and perfectly accommodated Martin, as much as any player not defensively sound who plays in defence (they all get exposed sometimes, it's inevitable).

He's just kicking the ball all over the place when his role requires him to kick the ball well. He simply needs to get his shit together or reset his understanding of his limitations.
There has still been a lot I like about his performance this year (even though like most of the younger guys he is a bit down on form last few weeks) but he definitely needs one of the coaches to pull him aside and tell him to pull his head in and sometimes take the % option. Maybe get him to watch a few tapes of Rids.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand this.

He obviously needs to get his shit together with the ball but the last 2 weeks have seen both games essentially taken away from us by half forwards (Long last week, Hollands this week) with seemingly no one anywhere near them.

Suspect if you asked ‘who’s man is that?’ The answer would at least nominally be Martin.

He obviously needs to get his shit together with the ball but the last 2 weeks have seen both games essentially taken away from us by half forwards (Long last week, Hollands this week) with seemingly no one anywhere near them.

Suspect if you asked ‘who’s man is that?’ The answer would at least nominally be Martin.

Hollands was getting a decent number of centre bounces as well and carving us up there, without looking I'd assume he was running off a Stringer.

Probably not given he is allowed to run off . More an issue with roll over defence and no cover.

Going to end up going to end up going through the middle. Natural ruck reader. Top 3 Brownlow finish next year.
Great take. Have him rotate between Centre, Wing and HFF. Starting to see what brad is developing here. Perkins, Caldwell, Durham, Martin, Merrett all competent as inside mids but also in the aforementioned positions. In a year or 2 once these guys are a bit more filled out and understand their role Jeeeeeeez

Probably not given he is allowed to run off . More an issue with roll over defence and no cover.

Fully agree, check the ‘it’s not about us’ post from Bruno further above.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back