AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder how much of it is this guy specifically being very good at what he does, and how much is down to the kind of player who decides to go over and above the minimum club training schedule would improve drastically with anyone.
Mostly the latter, I reckon (a sort of self-selection bias).

I wonder how much of it is this guy specifically being very good at what he does, and how much is down to the kind of player who decides to go over and above the minimum club training schedule would improve drastically with anyone.
Obviously a good motivator but he has a captive audience ie. players coming to him for the goal of improving/maintaining higher standards of fitness in the off season.

Could this guy be as good as Hugh McCluggage or is Hugh a step better?
Hugh is probably the best outside mid in the comp.

I think the comparison is valid and Martin is better at finding space in congestion (very similar to Pendles) but I don't know that he will be better than McCluggage. I'd have McCluggage in my top 5 right now, if he played in Melbourne he'd be lauded so much more than he is currently.

Martin could be anything though. So highly rated within the four walls at Essendon.

I think it's pretty close as of last year. McCluggage only had 1 more score involvement a game and 1.8 more effective possessions.

A bit of that comes from how they play McCluggage inside and he gets decent numbers but he really has some weaknesses in there, doesn't like contact, leaves a lot of holes to exploit. I think he and Brisbane would be better served if he was on a wing permanently and Berry/Rayner/Dunkley take his inside minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nic's dad Greg joined me on my Podcast the other week. As well as talking about Greg moving from being a 45 year Collingwood supporter to a Dons fan, we spent a fair bit of time talking about Nic's journey to the AFL. Check it out here:

Nic's dad Greg joined me on my Podcast the other week. As well as talking about Greg moving from being a 45 year Collingwood supporter to a Dons fan, we spent a fair bit of time talking about Nic's journey to the AFL. Check it out here:

Listened to that one today, good insight into what Nick and Greg went through. Left me confident that he won’t be trying to get across to West Coast too!

Hows Martin looking in pre season? Bombers fans think he'll take a big step up this year? Is his spot locked in the midfield? Just looking at him in my supercoach draft.

Hows Martin looking in pre season? Bombers fans think he'll take a big step up this year? Is his spot locked in the midfield? Just looking at him in my supercoach draft.

No, there's been reports of him having some time there in match sims but sounds like it hasn't been ahead of the main cohort of midfielders, so no guarantee he'll get regular CBA

Guaranteed 110 points a match.
Lol, if he can up his points to around 90-95 given he's a mid/fwd that would be fine.

No, there's been reports of him having some time there in match sims but sounds like it hasn't been ahead of the main cohort of midfielders, so no guarantee he'll get regular CBA
So likely a wing spot?

Lol, if he can up his points to around 90-95 given he's a mid/fwd that would be fine.

So likely a wing spot?

He was already pretty much playing on a wing, I think they might try him in the middle sporadically but I wouldn't think it's a given his scoring improves.

Parish, Merrett, Shiel, Setterfield, Caldwell, Perkins and Hobbs will all be ahead of him for midfield minutes to start the season.

Last year he averaged ~79, I think he can improve that with consistency, but I think 90 - 95 is a stretch. I'd have guessed mid 80s.

He was already pretty much playing on a wing, I think they might try him in the middle sporadically but I wouldn't think it's a given his scoring improves.

Parish, Merrett, Shiel, Setterfield, Caldwell, Perkins and Hobbs will all be ahead of him for midfield minutes to start the season.

Last year he averaged ~79, I think he can improve that with consistency, but I think 90 - 95 is a stretch. I'd have guessed mid 80s.
He'll average 110+ if Hobbs can stop burning him every game and pass him the ball rewarding his forward running!

Farto can win a charlie, he is a superstar. Anyone who doesn't take him in their supercoach is a nuffie. I am the leader of the Nic Martin fan club.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back