AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Should stay wing.

I don't blame the coaching staff for mixing him up this year. We clearly lack creativity and skill execution with our current defensive group. It's definitely an area we need to start looking for next year.

It hasn't worked but I see why we tried it. Our defensive group are serial offenders in getting the ball and kicking it 10m sideways, stifling ball movement. Nothing worse than seeing us attempt a switch with absolutely noone free on the opposite wing.

Is a goal kicking wingman like McCluggage.
The reason Redman has had a down year, is because his role has been stolen by Martin.
Roberts and Martin should be the starting wingmen with Duursma out.
Do you mean if Duursma is out, or he should be dropped?

We’ve had the Dustin Martin role (threaten to kill a women with utensils) now we have the Nic Martin role.

Doesn’t really matter where he starts, he’s tracking the ball and creating, like with Dustin, we need to go out and find 1-2 really diligent, hard working mid-half forwards that will do all his defensive work for him, because it’s not his bag.

Scott almost lives and dies by whether he gets the use of Martin correct, it’s the single biggest factor IMO.

We’ve had the Dustin Martin role (threaten to kill a women with utensils) now we have the Nic Martin role.

Doesn’t really matter where he starts, he’s tracking the ball and creating, like with Dustin, we need to go out and find 1-2 really diligent, hard working mid-half forwards that will do all his defensive work for him, because it’s not his bag.

Scott almost lives and dies by whether he gets the use of Martin correct, it’s the single biggest factor IMO.
If we can find some half decent half backs he may not have to.

bring in Dan Houston so we can play marto wherever we need

I reckon he started on the wing once over the weekend (first bounce of the game). He is not playing wing or being moved forward like people are suggesting, he is pushing forward from the half back line. A dangerous position and he is playing it well, let’s keep him there.

If we can find some half decent half backs he may not have to.

His starting position is pretty nominal though, isn’t it?

If he starts back, we need a really nuggety midfielder who slides back to cover for him when he goes walkabout, if he starts in the middle or forward third we need a couple of pressure and tackle players in the front half that are basically selected to carry his bags.

Kicked 17 goals last year and has 11 this year off half back with 3 games to go. Has 10 more inside 50’s this year compared to his final tally last year as well.

Redman has still been good this year but Marto offers more in that role. Duursma has one wing locked away and I haven’t minded Jones, Cox and even Roberts floating through the other side to be honest.
Redman has been well below par for the most part this year. The Freo game is the best I’ve seen him play since last season.

His starting position is pretty nominal though, isn’t it?

If he starts back, we need a really nuggety midfielder who slides back to cover for him when he goes walkabout, if he starts in the middle or forward third we need a couple of pressure and tackle players in the front half that are basically selected to carry his bags.
And if we had two of him it would not be an issue .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting observations from the Don the Stats guys on this weeks pod about the positioning of Martin last game. They said he was playing wing in first half and had minimal impact on game but got back into the game when he was switched to backline again in 2nd half and was floating forward rather than playing permanently forward like some are suggesting.

I just checked the heat-maps on the AFL website to verify this and it does back it up for first three quarters but hard to say in last where he has a mix of backline and forward line possessions.

Interesting observations from the Don the Stats guys on this weeks pod about the positioning of Martin last game. They said he was playing wing in first half and had minimal impact on game but got back into the game when he was switched to backline again in 2nd half and was floating forward rather than playing permanently forward like some are suggesting.

I just checked the heat-maps on the AFL website to verify this and it does back it up for first three quarters but hard to say in last where he has a mix of backline and forward line possessions.
When he plays at half back he ends up being between 60 to 80 meters from goal in the defensive press so he does get opportunity . :cool:

So he has covered the most ground for us every game this season except for three games… in those three he covered the second most. Has run 32kms in the last two weeks alone.

Seriously, he is an absolute machine.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back