Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Cumberland gets off scott free?
He is the most criticised player on our list, and much of it deserved. There are plenty here who criticise Cumberland, but do it in a constructive way.
Cumberland should do better, I think that is something we all agree on. He has to the end of the season, if he comes good, good, if he doesn't he will be delisted. He is a tease because he can make things happen from nothing, hence the pro fans, but he better get cracking. There is a good chance he will be dropped this week. I wouldn't mind seeing Grey given a shot, he is good in the air and mobile, perfect third tall.

Would Cumberland be playing if Lafau was fit ?

Would Cumberland be playing if Lafau was fit ?
Possibly, and would be playing better because Lefau would attract the Ridley, Stewart types. Having no second fiddle tall has made it difficult. Kosi was there on the weekend, but he is still attracting players who are much bigger than him. It would be like us playing Grimes or Broad on him, who would do him in the air every time. Cumberland has to find some more strings in his bow, but does he have the time or the talent? We'll find out in the next few weeks.

His biggest problem is he is being asked to play third tall forward and he is just not tall enough. Remember when Pickett was being asked to play tall forward and everyone was criticising him. If Dusty wasn’t playing and we played another tall forward, then Cumberland could play as a genuine small forward I think he would be much more dangerous. If Dusty doesn’t play next year then that will be Cumberland last chance to play well in his proper position.

That’s right. Our forward line works better without dusty. Our two wins have been without the great one :drunk:

His biggest problem is he is being asked to play third tall forward and he is just not tall enough. Remember when Pickett was being asked to play tall forward and everyone was criticising him.
Seems to me he’s been asked to keep interceptors quiet. Or interceptors see him as the most vulnerable.

He’s not Gunston, Membrey or Langford in ability or output but he’s a forward target by nature, who, I guess due to being down the pecking order hasn’t been played as one.

Possibly, and would be playing better because Lefau would attract the Ridley, Stewart types. Having no second fiddle tall has made it difficult. Kosi was there on the weekend, but he is still attracting players who are much bigger than him. It would be like us playing Grimes or Broad on him, who would do him in the air every time. Cumberland has to find some more strings in his bow, but does he have the time or the talent? We'll find out in the next few weeks.
Needs to be the papley, greene, degoey type who all pinch hit through the middle to get them involved. We haven't put enough time into developing that side of his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to be the papley, greene, degoey type who all pinch hit through the middle to get them involved. We haven't put enough time into developing that side of his game.
Exactly. Why did he play just one game swinging the middle in the VFL. Should have been there every week developing an all round game.

I never said anything about him not being dropped, but more about his matchups recently. I would drop him with about four other blokes. I also said he would be on the train to Maroochydore next year.
The train to Maroochydore this year I hope. Surely he’ll be informed to look elsewhere with a couple of remaining reserves games to go.

So what’s Cumbos role exactly?

Are we doing 3 pure forwards in Lynch, Lefau and Cumbo.

In 19 and 20 we only had 2 (Lynch and Jack)

In 17 it was also 2 (Jack and Caddy). Caddy was put on the shelf when Lynch came.

Dusty also rotated forward but wasn’t a pure forward. Cumbo isn’t Dusty and provides no versatility whatsoever in the midfield.

I think Cumbo is essentially just a depth player that is expendable (Covering Lefau atm). I’m fine if he’s delisted and we try somebody else who’s not a midget (for a medium type fwd)

So Lynch didn’t kick 7 because Cumberland played and not some other scrawny pick 75.
Our mid field is way off the mark for starters.. that’s where the pressure on opposition back men comes from . Last person I’m thinking about is our half forward flanker who when we are having a good day should only be getting it a hand full of times and maybe kicking a couple.

If your million dollar men aren’t a threat then you can put your gun backman on anybody you like . Is probably my point

Ps .should have drafted Pink .
That's not what I said at all.

The opposition have worked out that they can play an attacking defender on Noah, knowing that they will more likely have a better impact on the game than Noah does as Noah only seems to thrive when the game is on our terms.

Which is why I said he needs to.learn how to impact when things are not going well for him or the team. He has played the last 6 games and his best game was our only win, in the others he has struggled while his opponent was very good.

Richmond

Noah Cumberland

Cumberland’s talent has never been in doubt, but he has not built on his breakout 2022 season and decent start to last year. At a time the Tigers are retooling for the future under first-year coach Adem Yze, Cumberland broke back into the senior side in round 10 but managed only six goals in as many games since. He was subbed out after failing to kick a goal or lay a tackle on the weekend.

Have to shake my head at some of the excuses offered up for Noah. We select him to play the role we want him to play. The opposition adjusts their match ups to ensure they get the right defender on Noah knowing they can exploit it. Even when we try and make changes like putting Noah as the deepest forward the opposition simply adjust the match up so that they maintain their advantage and Noah doesn't seem capable of making the adjustment to the new role or working hard enough to work his opponent over.
That's why he kicked 3 goals the week before ... but let me come back to you with a more detailed answer ...I just need to pop over to the Dow thread and read about how the 5th worst performing player in the AFL just needs 50 games ... and a good midfield around him ... and another 5kg in the off season ...

I'm back ... ... forwards defending defenders ... it's as stupid as it sounds ... leave Cumberland deep 50 permanently ... if his defender runs off he will kill them if we rebound through the centre everytime

Noah needs to stop chasing his defender and he will kick 5 every week ... this pressure forward stuff is old tactics ... need to come up with a counter style ... AFL tactics are.so slow to evolve ...

Maybe just set your zone deeper without two players like Dusty and Noah remaining in your forward 50 ..

Forwards defending lol .... what a bloody oxymoron

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back