Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Only game i can remember is the 2017 VFL Granny and he missed on the siren and we lose by less than a kick.

To be fair he was over 55m out and didn't miss by much....... at least that's how I remember it but I'd smuggled in a bottle of Maker's Mark lol. He actually played a preseason match at Whitten Oval where he kicked either 9 or 11 goals and looked like Gary Ablett snr kicking them from every angle, taking hangers. A few of us left thinking he's gonna pay off big time......
Typical move of Hardwick then plays him out of position as a HBF to learn "defensive side of game." Another time he kicked 7 in the magoo's and usually that's means for promotion.... not where Hardwicks concerned.

A few weeks later he plays him in seniors down back of course. McDonaugh was a goalkicking prodigy in SA in his draft year he kicked something like 70 goals 15 across U18, SANFL and rep footy. You guessed it never got near the F50 at Punt Rd. Ryan Garthwaite kicked 100 goals in the seniors as a 16yo I think was a Murray league, won the goalkicking Como at the draft combine.... lo and behold Hardwick banished him down back....

Funnily enough Hardwick never pulled that need to learn the defensive side of the game on any of the Indigenous players. They were allowed to play to their natural attacking flair. Who knows how Lennon's, McDonaughs or Garthwaite’s careers would've panned out if they were played in their natural position.... as in the one they were drafted at.

To be fair he was over 55m out and didn't miss by much....... at least that's how I remember it but I'd smuggled in a bottle of Maker's Mark lol. He actually played a preseason match at Whitten Oval where he kicked either 9 or 11 goals and looked like Gary Ablett snr kicking them from every angle, taking hangers. A few of us left thinking he's gonna pay off big time......
Typical move of Hardwick then plays him out of position as a HBF to learn "defensive side of game." Another time he kicked 7 in the magoo's and usually that's means for promotion.... not where Hardwicks concerned.

A few weeks later he plays him in seniors down back of course. McDonaugh was a goalkicking prodigy in SA in his draft year he kicked something like 70 goals 15 across U18, SANFL and rep footy. You guessed it never got near the F50 at Punt Rd. Ryan Garthwaite kicked 100 goals in the seniors as a 16yo I think was a Murray league, won the goalkicking Como at the draft combine.... lo and behold Hardwick banished him down back....

Funnily enough Hardwick never pulled that need to learn the defensive side of the game on any of the Indigenous players. They were allowed to play to their natural attacking flair. Who knows how Lennon's, McDonaughs or Garthwaite’s careers would've panned out if they were played in their natural position.... as in the one they were drafted at.
Yep he was a long way out and a close miss.
I still think Donuts was a plodder and of the Will Martyn category
Garth resembled Quasimodo and was crab like in his actions and too slow. He was ugly viewing the way he played.
Lennon was lazy, disinterested, slow and couldn’t jump over an under 10 hurdle.

I have the motto it doesn’t matter where the coach puts you , you make your own luck and dominate the game.
None of the above could do it at the highest level.

Yep he was a long way out and a close miss.
I still think Donuts was a plodder and of the Will Martyn category
Garth resembled Quasimodo and was crab like in his actions and too slow. He was ugly viewing the way he played.
Lennon was lazy, disinterested, slow and couldn’t jump over an under 10 hurdle.

I have the motto it doesn’t matter where the coach puts you , you make your own luck and dominate the game.
None of the above could do it at the highest level.

You're wrong on that. Completely different midsets attacking or defending. Matthew Richardson's an all time great..... as a FWD. He reckons he had zero clue whenever he was forced to play as a backman and would get pantsed. By your reckoning if he was around during Hardwicks era he could've easily been destroyed down back, lost all confidence and been delisted as a bust playing a handful of lousy games after a few years. You've got to play people to their strengths. If you draft a kid who's a dominant natural fwd only to switch him to defence and he flounders you've basically destroyed a career and sabotaged the team. Shai and Dusty would be terrible small defenders. Rance was a putrid mid and fwd.

You're wrong on that. Completely different midsets attacking or defending. Matthew Richardson's an all time great..... as a FWD. He reckons he had zero clue whenever he was forced to play as a backman and would get pantsed. By your reckoning if he was around during Hardwicks era he could've easily been destroyed down back, lost all confidence and been delisted as a bust playing a handful of lousy games after a few years. You've got to play people to their strengths. If you draft a kid who's a dominant natural fwd only to switch him to defence and he flounders you've basically destroyed a career and sabotaged the team. Shai and Dusty would be terrible small defenders. Rance was a putrid mid and fwd.
Richo went well on the Wing. Dusty played Back Pocket in 2016 and killed it , unfortunately guys like Taylor Hunt were in the midfield. A lot of players start in the wrong position and eventually find their place. Rance played one whole quarter in the guts and Dimma ended it. All the names you mentioned barring Quasimodo played in their natural positions and were hopeless and no fault of Dimma. Quasi was never going to make it no matter where you hid him. All those three were never picked by other teams so it says more about their ability at the level. We won three flags with them lingering around and they couldn’t break into our side. I think they were all lemons mate.

We'll pick three more soon ... just watch us.
Queensland kids take longer to develop, in their draft year's I liked Max Pescud and Josh Gore of GC academy (now West Adelaide) who have pretty done well at State level but who knows how they would go at the higher grade. Still think Cumberland is a inside mid where he did well at Academy level

Last edited:
Might survive just because we’re losing so many other players to retirement and probably trade

If he gets one more year he needs to re-invent himself somehow over the off season (not sure how though)

Turn himself into a running machine so he can be useful on a wing maybe, now that Pickett has retired?

Not hopeful and think he’d be a delist if we weren’t losing so many other players

Might survive just because we’re losing so many other players to retirement and probably trade

If he gets one more year he needs to re-invent himself somehow over the off season (not sure how though)

Turn himself into a running machine so he can be useful on a wing maybe, now that Pickett has retired?

Not hopeful and think he’d be a delist if we weren’t losing so many other players
He’s a delist anyway. Why anyone would defend his shit performances is beyond understanding. Just the player you need to teach our new kids how to not run, not defend. Great example he’d be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s a delist anyway. Why anyone would defend his shit performances is beyond understanding. Just the player you need to teach our new kids how to not run, not defend. Great example he’d be.
he's trying. used to be the star at junior level and pure ability also made him a top ressies player and even had moments at the highest level, but soon found out as a selfish, blinkered ball hog that did not work hard enough for teammates or do the 1%ers.....he is trying to learn but making a mess of it being frustrated, rushes of nerves and panic with and trying too hard is his biggest problem....maybe having Hugo RS as his training partner in the preseason and Lambert getting in his ear we might see a good year out of him in 2025 as both an impact and solid role player, it's 50/50 for mine because he has it all but the upstairs bit with the football smarts AND composure. I am glad we are taking a chance on him, he is far too good to be on the scrapheap at such a young age.

I think next year is going to be a true make or break year for Noah. We all kind of thought it was this year but with all the outgoings, he very most likely signs on for 1 year instead of getting delisted. Very lucky considering how his year has gone.

If I were the club, I’d force him to stand next to Lambert the entire offseason and preseason. His footy IQ has to get better immediately or it’s game over for his career.
At southport

Should be the 1st player delisted after mad monday

Singer Singing GIF by Carrie Underwood

Would think he’s on the chopping block. Hopefully can replace him in the squad with a Lindsay or Berry.

There is no enjoyment in seeing, Noah failing.

The issue I have is that Richmond is at fault for all his problems.

He is a highly paid professional athlete and the responsibility to improve is Noah.

The club can provide the resources but it's up to Noah to do the non-negotiable (tackle, chase, shepherd etc).

We shouldn’t be getting rid of him unless a there is literally not an available space on the list for another player we want.

We aren’t contending and you never know he could become Stengel 2.0
What type of message does that send when the player continues to underperform and won't do the non-negotiables.

There is no enjoyment in seeing, Noah failing.

The issue I have is that Richmond is at fault for all his problems.

He is a highly paid professional athlete and the responsibility to improve is Noah.

The club can provide the resources but it's up to Noah to do the non-negotiable (tackle, chase, shepherd etc).
Spot on. Everyone wants to find excuses for Noah, rather than seeing the painfully obvious truth that he is just not up to it

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back