Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

We shouldn’t be getting rid of him unless a there is literally not an available space on the list for another player we want.

We aren’t contending and you never know he could become Stengel 2.0
do think he is done for..
but you do have a point and could get with your thinking.

Give it a rest mate! All you doing is bag this kid out, feels personal!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It gives me no pleasure in bagging Cumbo. I felt he wasn’t up to the required standard for an AFL footballer, so I called it out. My hardline, ridiculing was due to the fact I was lambasted for having an opinion different to those who were obviously Cumbo fans. Many who have posted hear stating he’s hard done by, needs more opportunities, needs more time etc etc, should given another contract, are just trying to protect their stand that he is a good footballer, when it is very apparent he’s not. If the club resigns him they’re insane. Let’s just leave it now and see what happens.

It doesn’t thrill me to label a footballer as a spud, because sadly it just means we’ve got another guy who has bombed. But I call it as see it and if you don’t like it bad luck.

It gives me no pleasure in bagging Cumbo. I felt he wasn’t up to the required standard for an AFL footballer, so I called it out. My hardline, ridiculing was due to the fact I was lambasted for having an opinion different to those who were obviously Cumbo fans. Many who have posted hear stating he’s hard done by, needs more opportunities, needs more time etc etc, should given another contract, are just trying to protect their stand that he is a good footballer, when it is very apparent he’s not. If the club resigns him they’re insane. Let’s just leave it now and see what happens.

It doesn’t thrill me to label a footballer as a spud, because sadly it just means we’ve got another guy who has bombed. But I call it as see it and if you don’t like it bad luck.
With the retirements and players wanting to leave. That could be the only thing that might save him.

This kid had it all the only bagging is how we mistreated him while serving others rib eye steaks that got us nowhere. He has lost all interest and could see it from last year just like watching Pickett last few games in the VFL. It's not to late form him a new environment change in mentality will do him good I just don't want him to come back haunting us like Ginnivan is doing to pies.

I feel like Dimma ruined this kids career but it could also be a lack of professionalism. He kicked 19 goals and had 8 goal assists in the last 8 games of 2022. Next minute we are talking up Trent Coleman in the preseason for 2023 and Noah is in direct competition with the greatest player of all time for a spot in the best 22.

How a kid who averaged over 2 goals a game was expected to earn his spot in the best 22 the next season completely baffled me. It should’ve been his spot to lose and I think that killed his confidence.

I will say it, not good enough.

I am a little surprised he has not retired despite his age

pick in the 40's, surprised he has lasted this long. If he was good enough he already would have grabbed his opportunity and others have passed him without shooting the lights out.

no brainer really

Ralphsmith was also a pick in the 40's and he has shown more especially as a type forward of the ball

I will say it, not good enough.

I am a little surprised he has not retired despite his age

pick in the 40's, surprised he has lasted this long. If he was good enough he already would have grabbed his opportunity and others have passed him without shooting the lights out.

no brainer really

Ralphsmith was also a pick in the 40's and he has shown more especially as a type forward of the ball
Difference is cumbo was getting games with a better squad than we have now and kicking 3 4 or 5 goals and looking like a freak. I rememebr another player dimma fd up Townsend. Guy was our best forward in a premiership than neve to be seen in the seniors again guy lost all confidence like cumbo. Ralf was crap from the word go Yze giving him games the guy has improved. So main difference is one got a go the other not.

Cumbos had enough chances and the excuses are over. I backed him in and supported him in hope he would get enough games to show whether he belonged. In the end he embarrassed me with his output and needs to be delisted.
He only has himself to blame as he’s had enough coaches now and failed under all of them.

There is no enjoyment in seeing, Noah failing.

The issue I have is that Richmond is at fault for all his problems.

He is a highly paid professional athlete and the responsibility to improve is Noah.

The club can provide the resources but it's up to Noah to do the non-negotiable (tackle, chase, shepherd etc).
Have you watched him play or are you still in the mindset of a year or two ago. That is all he does, chase, tackle and add pressure, in the VFL at least. He puts more heat around the ball at the lower level than any player bar MRJ in the VFL.

At AFL level he has been stood by players a lot bigger and a lot better than him, and he has been outgunned in marking situations pretty easily and has lost his confidence to go for the ball in the air.

So far he has shown that he is not a good enough player, certainly not a classy enough player, and very hit and miss. That is why he is not playing, nothing to do with his attitude and aggression.

To be fair he was over 55m out and didn't miss by much....... at least that's how I remember it but I'd smuggled in a bottle of Maker's Mark lol. He actually played a preseason match at Whitten Oval where he kicked either 9 or 11 goals and looked like Gary Ablett snr kicking them from every angle, taking hangers. A few of us left thinking he's gonna pay off big time......
Typical move of Hardwick then plays him out of position as a HBF to learn "defensive side of game." Another time he kicked 7 in the magoo's and usually that's means for promotion.... not where Hardwicks concerned.

A few weeks later he plays him in seniors down back of course. McDonaugh was a goalkicking prodigy in SA in his draft year he kicked something like 70 goals 15 across U18, SANFL and rep footy. You guessed it never got near the F50 at Punt Rd. Ryan Garthwaite kicked 100 goals in the seniors as a 16yo I think was a Murray league, won the goalkicking Como at the draft combine.... lo and behold Hardwick banished him down back....

Funnily enough Hardwick never pulled that need to learn the defensive side of the game on any of the Indigenous players. They were allowed to play to their natural attacking flair. Who knows how Lennon's, McDonaughs or Garthwaite’s careers would've panned out if they were played in their natural position.... as in the one they were drafted at.
Nectar of the Gods and a lot of people forget the Dumma obsession with HBF , which has cost us multiple jdraftees

You're wrong on that. Completely different midsets attacking or defending. Matthew Richardson's an all time great..... as a FWD. He reckons he had zero clue whenever he was forced to play as a backman and would get pantsed. By your reckoning if he was around during Hardwicks era he could've easily been destroyed down back, lost all confidence and been delisted as a bust playing a handful of lousy games after a few years. You've got to play people to their strengths. If you draft a kid who's a dominant natural fwd only to switch him to defence and he flounders you've basically destroyed a career and sabotaged the team. Shai and Dusty would be terrible small defenders. Rance was a putrid mid and fwd.
I recall a game against GWS where Dumma had Jack ……Riewoldt playing defense iirc it wasn’t that long after the we aren’t hawthorn comments , he was a vindictive campaigner and the place is better off without him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This kid had it all the only bagging is how we mistreated him while serving others rib eye steaks that got us nowhere. He has lost all interest and could see it from last year just like watching Pickett last few games in the VFL. It's not to late form him a new environment change in mentality will do him good I just don't want him to come back haunting us like Ginnivan is doing to pies.
There is a strong argument that the treatment he got from the messiah is partly to blame

Difference is cumbo was getting games with a better squad than we have now and kicking 3 4 or 5 goals and looking like a freak. I rememebr another player dimma fd up Townsend. Guy was our best forward in a premiership than neve to be seen in the seniors again guy lost all confidence like cumbo. Ralf was crap from the word go Yze giving him games the guy has improved. So main difference is one got a go the other not.
Townsend? Our best forward?
With respect. Better than Riewoldt?
He wasn't
better than Caddy and then eventually we got Lynxh?
Different types, but Rioli was a better forward at the time, and Butler and Castagna more consistent.
Townsend got lucky and quickly faded.
He won a reserves medal as a midfielder.
Simms didn’t screw him. He quickly became ineffectual and couldn’t get a kick anywhere.

We shouldn’t be getting rid of him unless a there is literally not an available space on the list for another player we want.

We aren’t contending and you never know he could become Stengel 2.0
Stengle left us in 2017, after playing 2 games. Got a better offer from Adelaide. Cumberland has been around the senior side since mid 2022. Great debut in Dusty's absence but crap in the final.
2 and a half seasons of in and out of the side. Cumbo has probably gone backwards. Noah Cumberland will be Stengle 2.0 as in playing country footy next year.
And the rest of his career.

Last edited:
If Cumberland was as good as people think he is and it was a case of mistreatment, why aren't we seeing other clubs linked to him?

Even Chol and Soldo had clubs linked to them, HRS did when he was pretty inconsistent and a whipping boy on here.

Why not Cumberland?

Stengle left us in 2017, after playing 2 games. Got a better offer from Adelaide. Cumberland has been around the senior side since mid 2022. Great debut in Dusty's absence but crap in the final.
2 and a half seasons of in and out of the side. Cumbo has probably gone backwards. Noah Cumberland will be Stengle 2.0 as in playing country footy next year.
And the rest of his career.

Yes I know he’s shit but sometimes progression isn’t linear. I just don’t see the harm in keeping him. He’s not taking up cap or list space atm and we aren’t contending.

Ross and Ralphsmith were up and down in their progression both are solid young players now. It’s a free roll of the dice with Cumbo imo

If Cumberland was as good as people think he is and it was a case of mistreatment, why aren't we seeing other clubs linked to him?

Even Chol and Soldo had clubs linked to them, HRS did when he was pretty inconsistent and a whipping boy on here.

Why not Cumberland?
Pretty sure 90% of posters on here don't rate him any more. They might see some glimmer of hope away from the club, in a new environment, they might feel he could get another year given about 10 players will be moving on, but he has lost most of his followers for sure.

We always cling to hope with players who have shown something. These days I am impartial. If he stays no big deal, if he is delisted as I'd expect then good luck to him. People on here are far harsher on a player who can't quite bridge the gap between VFL and AFL, and he would be the biggest whipping boy at the club. I don't get the disrespect though, he is what he is, not quite good enough but not far off. Better than most of us have ever been, my good self excluded!

Cumbos had enough chances and the excuses are over. I backed him in and supported him in hope he would get enough games to show whether he belonged. In the end he embarrassed me with his output and needs to be delisted.
He only has himself to blame as he’s had enough coaches now and failed under all of them.
Embarrassed you? Cumbo is just not up to AFL standard. Nothing to be embarrassed about. Plenty of aspiring AFL players fail. Sadly he’s just one of them. Club should delist and move on. I’d rather a kid who may be a very late pick or PSD pick be given an opportunity rather than persisting with Cumbo.

Yes I know he’s shit but sometimes progression isn’t linear. I just don’t see the harm in keeping him. He’s not taking up cap or list space atm and we aren’t contending.

Ross and Ralphsmith were up and down in their progression both are solid young players now. It’s a free roll of the dice with Cumbo imo
He will join his Brisbane academy team mate Will Martyn out the door. I don't think list managers will retain him.

Add in Ryan ! ~ time to write off that Academy as a spud farm.

Why not Cumberland?
Rumour is Glen Waverley Hawks are linked to him

When you’re winning flags you can afford a roll of the dice.
We’re dead last. We need some cream and solid citizens.
When you have a large percentage of players on your list no guarantee to make it, you don’t need more of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back